1290sa wheels / offroad tires - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Cos

1290sa wheels / offroad tires

Hi,

Would like to know what would be the best off road tires for this bike? I find myself riding more and more on dirt roads than asphalt. I am thinking even to buy a second pair of wheels with off-road tires that I can swap easily when going in an off-road trip.

So I would like to know:

1. what tires you suggest and what percentage (road / off-road) if I change just the tires and keep the same wheels.

2. what tires you suggest if I get off-road tires and a second set of wheels.

Is there a brand in particular that I should look at? Tires and wheels.. Looking at the original wheels they are very expensive and rather buy another brand that would fit.

Anyway let me know what brand, size, and best combination you think should be in this case..

Last, I was thinking about the bigger wheel in the front as the 1190 models. I guess such size wheel would not fit on a 1290 right?

Thanks for your opinion..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 AM

We have ordered our new 50-50 tires. We did the research, made our decision, for the best looking, longest lasting, best tire offroad and on road. Our decision is:

Heidenau K60 Scout for both front & rear.

We're planning for our Colorado Back Country Riding Adventure and getting everything ready with the bikes. I will post all the mods when I finished within a week or so.

Good luck on you decision.

My wife & I have (2) matching sets, a matching set of 2016 HD Road Glide CVO's (Screaming Eagles) & a matching set of 2016 KTM SA1290 T. We have owned over 40 mc in our life times. We have both been riding for most of our lives. No trip is too long, too far, or too fast....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Hi,

Would like to know what would be the best off road tires for this bike? I find myself riding more and more on dirt roads than asphalt. I am thinking even to buy a second pair of wheels with off-road tires that I can swap easily when going in an off-road trip.

So I would like to know:

1. what tires you suggest and what percentage (road / off-road) if I change just the tires and keep the same wheels.

2. what tires you suggest if I get off-road tires and a second set of wheels.

Is there a brand in particular that I should look at? Tires and wheels.. Looking at the original wheels they are very expensive and rather buy another brand that would fit.

Anyway let me know what brand, size, and best combination you think should be in this case..

Last, I was thinking about the bigger wheel in the front as the 1190 models. I guess such size wheel would not fit on a 1290 right?

Thanks for your opinion..
I got a 1290 SA. 2015. I am setting it up for a ride in August the 11th to 30th doing Colorado and Utah BDR's with a run to Yelowstone. I had Heidenau 60's on my 1190 adv r. I was not happy eith traction in wet on pavement. I purchased a pair of Michelin Anakee Wilds. Not as long wearing, but I believe better all around performance. In the pic it has Anakee 3's. The off road tires are on a second set of rims complete with rotors. I put togther by buying pieces on ebay. It ran me about 1,100 before tires.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
When life throws you a curve, lean your body into the turn and then grab a handfull of throttle

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM

My 2017 SA R cam with the Continental TKC80s and they are amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18557531_10104261840634223_5459046974476904505_n.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	60282  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM

I do have a pair of oem pannier racks. came ofg a wrecked 1290 SA. Im currently having the lowder coated KTM orange

When life throws you a curve, lean your body into the turn and then grab a handfull of throttle
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017SAR View Post
My 2017 SA R cam with the Continental TKC80s and they are amazing!
I did a pair of TKC 80 on my 1190. The rear lasted 2,500 miles. Great off road tractio. but there is a prive for soft rubber. Love you bike. My dealer is trying to talk me into upgrading to the new 1290 Sa R. I have Rumbux on my 1390 SA. When are you guys doing BDR wre are shipping our bike to Denver and arrive on 11th August

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Also the Rumbux are the way to go. They are the ****.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode