1290 super adventure owners beware! - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

1290 super adventure owners beware!

I just had my SA in for a rear shock recall inspection and after getting it back I don't have any adjustment in my dampening settings. Whether I'm in sport, street, comfort, or off-road, they all have the same feeling. It's somewhere between sport and street, or pretty stiff for long rides. It's back at the dealer and they're trying to figure it out. I guess part of the shock inspection included a software update and that may be the issue. At this point they're unsure, which makes me nervous. I'll post any info or updates.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info. Just dropped my SA off this morning for the recall update. I'll post if there are any issues with the shock after the software update.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonripper View Post
Thanks for the info. Just dropped my SA off this morning for the recall update. I'll post if there are any issues with the shock after the software update.
Thanks canyon!!! In your experience with your bike, do you see a noticeable difference in the different dampening modes while bouncing up and down on the seat while stationary? In sport mode mine used to feel stiff like my rc8r and while in comfort mode it would feel spongy like a big old Cadillac. Make sense? Keep me posted please. At least them maybe I can help the dealer narrow it down.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1290SA RYDER View Post
Thanks canyon!!! In your experience with your bike, do you see a noticeable difference in the different dampening modes while bouncing up and down on the seat while stationary? In sport mode mine used to feel stiff like my rc8r and while in comfort mode it would feel spongy like a big old Cadillac. Make sense? Keep me posted please. At least them maybe I can help the dealer narrow it down.

I only use sport and offroad settings. In the offroad mode, the suspension is much softer.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

That's pretty much my experience too. Looking forward to your post update info. Thanks

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Got a call today and the dealer still has no idea why the suspension isn't working the way it should. Really putting a damper on my 1000 mile trip to SD Saturday morning 😞

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 PM

I have almost 5,000 mi on my 1290 SA. I do have some concerns. My bike experienced a major front end shimmy at around 30 mph. I found a few complaints and brought my concern to my dealer. I was told the issue was the Conti's so they recommended that I switch to the Michelin Anakee. I proposed the Anakee Wilds. I have new shoes and no problems. I have also experienced a few odd flame outs: a small backfire and motorcycle dies. Odd and dangerous especially since I ride in Bronx, NY. A stall at a light can render me a wonderful target for cars at my rear. Latest problem is the failure of my lean-in angle lights. I'm bringing the bike in for service next week . . . I shall see the proposed explanation and resolution. Lastly, I too have had a few computer issues also resolved by turning the bike of and then restarting it.

There is a lot to love but sometimes these issues leave me longing for my Harley or perhaps, dare I say it, the R1200GSA.

Ben
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Got a call today and the dealer still has no idea why the suspension isn't working the way it should. Really putting a damper on my 1000 mile trip to SD Saturday morning 😞

Picked up my SA today, suspension seems fine after software update. Now the fuel gauge stopped working. The front forks still top out even on level pavement, this is after the damping cartilage was replaced. Dealer will contact ktm about fork issue.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

So after weeks of trying to get my suspension figured out post recall, nothing has changed. My suspension isn't adjusting properly and after sitting on a brand new 2016 which is exactly as bland as mine is, I feel I may have no leg to stand on. I wrote a very long letter to KTM about this and will post it and the follow-up response from them tomorrow. I'm one very disappointed customer.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
So after weeks of trying to get my suspension figured out post recall, nothing has changed. My suspension isn't adjusting properly and after sitting on a brand new 2016 which is exactly as bland as mine is, I feel I may have no leg to stand on. I wrote a very long letter to KTM about this and will post it and the follow-up response from them tomorrow. I'm one very disappointed customer.

The new KTM you sat on. I assume you took it for a ride to find out what it felt like?

As I understand it they feel exactly the same when stationary, but after a couple of seconds riding it changes. I could be wrong though.

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode