KTM Forums banner

Other SF bay area riders?

22K views 142 replies 15 participants last post by  MishMashSD1290R 
#1 ·
I think I'll be doing a track day on the Duke in April (learning towards April 24th and Thunderhill). If anyone would like to join, let me know!

#3 ·
I'm in Redwood City, I was just going to ride up! My friends that do track days in the area told me that Thunderhill was a better option for a first timer (this will be my first time). Also, I don't start full time work (just finished school) till May 22nd, so the 24th that is on a Monday was appealing from an avoiding crowds perspective. Maybe I'll just hit up Sonoma instead, it is way closer.

#5 ·
Maybe I'll see you at that day! When riding up, is it easy to find the stuff you need for taping up/removing fuses?

#6 ·
Last time I went I was on a hyperstrada which came with factory panniers, so I just threw tools/tape in there.

With the Duke, I'll probably just bring to the tool kit under the seat and a couple other things in my Kriega tale bag. Shouldn't need many tools to set it up, nothing needed to unplug the lights and mirrors are easy to take off. The tire guys will let you use their gauge to set your pressures.

That said, I like to have the basic tools incase anything goes wrong. But if you're in a pickle there are people to help (experienced this first hand last time with a mechanical issue).

#7 ·
Cool, thanks for the info!

Are you still riding in C group? I've been watching some videos online, and it sure feels like they are going pretty slow, but I think I would want to start in the lowest level (and that's what everyone has recommended). But when the day is over $200, and I've been riding for 8ish years, I do find myself hoping that the pace is a good fit and I don't end up frustrated.

Heck then again, I know street pace is nowhere near track pace, so maybe none of this will be an issue at all. Regardless, I am super looking forward to it. I need to sort out my gear situation. I normally ride with a separate leather jacket and pants, but my pants are pretty thin in some spots from a low side last year. I'm debating whether to replace the pants and get a full zipper sewn in to mate the two, or to get a full race suit on Craigslist or eBay. I also normally ride with a modular helmet, so have to pick up a full face.

#8 ·
I was comfortable in C-group, and will plan to stay there for at least the next couple days. I'm not particularly quick, and I'm coming down 40hp from my last bike.

But, when I did my day last year multiple people that started in C-Group moved up to B-Group midway through the day. Basically, you just have to ask the guys that are running it, and at most they'll send an instructor out with you to see how quick you are. The feeling I got from Z2 was they wanted you to move up if you were significantly too quick/aggressive for a group, and would suggest it to people who were making a ton of passes every session.

#10 · (Edited)
I'd be interested in a street ride at some point. I'm moving from San Mateo to Pleasanton this week and I've never really done group rides with this bike or previous bikes.

What's required for a first timer at the track on a motorcycle? I'm an avid car racer and frequent Sonoma, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow in a caged race car but never on a bike. I've got all the basic equipment but not sure if the jacket and pants are good enough for a track day.

#11 ·
From Z2 on what the Rider needs:

Undamaged full face helmet with visor.
1 or 2 piece leather riding suit in excellent condition. If you have a two-piece leather suit, it MUST zip all the way around your waist if you ride in the Intermediate or Advanced group. If you ride in the Novice School, we STRONGLY recommend that it zip all the way around, but we’ll accept a partial zipper in the back of the suit. Your two piece suit MUST CONNECT IN ALL CASES. We will accept textile suits only in the Novice School (C group) and they must also connect at the waist.
Leather motorcycle gloves which must overlap arm of suit (gauntlet style).
Sturdy motorcycle or similar boots that must cover your ankle and preferably extend to mid-calf. Intermediate and Advanced riders must wear motorcycle specific boots.
Back protector either built into suit or separate.

As far as the bike goes, it has to be mechanically sound (has to pass tech inspection), lights/blinkers need to be unplugged or tapped, and mirrors need to be removed or taped.

I'd be game for a group ride some time.

#13 ·
I am thinking I am going to do the novice school at Sonoma with Z2 on April 16th. Getting all my leathers/full face helmet/more technical gloves (currently use a modular) all together.

#15 ·
If I make it there (70%), I think I'll be taking the duke. The S1000R needs new rubber and I also just got my luggage setup nice for the summer sport touring trips.

I think I'm probably better off starting on the Duke anyway, I have more seat time on it and its a bit less of a handful.

#16 ·
I'm officially signed up! Can't wait. Decided to pick up a cheap bilt suit since I think I'm too tall for zipping my short dainese jacket into my agv sport leather pants that I use for joyrides.

#17 ·
Nice!

BTW I always assume that I can't be helpful because my sizing isn't average. But, I have an old used Alpinestars size 58 suit lying around if you wanted to use it for the day. It's a little scuffed and kinda smelly (i bought it used that way), but it will get the job done.

Or did you get the track day deal with the built suit? Is cycle gear still doing that?

#18 ·
The Bilt suit from Cycle Gear was 270 on clearance. Fits me great while sitting on the bike, super tight in the crotch while standing, but oh well. Ended up with a 46/56

#20 ·
Sadly i'm out for this one. Doing better, but I'm not even back to commuting on the bike yet much less a trackday. Hopefully I'll be at some in the summer.

#21 ·
I'll throw in my two cents on local tracks... :p

For low-powered bikes, Thunderhill East is not great. You can make a sammich and eat it on the front straight when you're on a bike like the Duke, and the sportbikes that were holding you up for the rest of the track disappear in the distance.

Thunderhill West, however, is magnificent. It's got a wonderful, wonderful flow, and very little in the way of a straight. It is a super-fun track where a Duke can pass sportbikes all day. (Now and then, they reverse it to a right-handed track. That takes most of the flow out, IMO, and it's a lot less fun.)

I wouldn't waste time going to Thunderhill East, but Thunderhill West - it's worth the trip. My fave Bay Area track.

Sears Point, as mentioned, is nice just based on it being close to where most of us live. It's a challenging track with some fun blind corners and a lot of elevation changes, and it's pretty good for low-powered bikes, so it's fun on a Duke.

Laguna is great fun. It's iconic, of course, and also has a nice flow. Since it's a pro track, it has the best brake and apex markers of the local tracks. However, it's expensive, and you have to be able to pass sound. My Duke IV didn't blow the sound meter all day with the stock exhaust; I got a Jay Murray insert just for Laguna once I got my Arrow, and once again, no issues. If you have some money to blow, it's definitely great fun.

You can get Thunderhill West days for very cheap, and fairly often. Sears is less cheap and less frequent, particularly for weekdays, and Laguna is rare and pricey.

#22 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yesterday I did Sonoma in what several of the AFM racers were saying was the "Wettest trackday they'd ever seen". By my count, there were in the range of ~20 crashes. Being pretty new to track days (this was my second track day, the previous being at Sonoma last October on my Hyper 821), it was really hard to get a judge of the bike, as I was mostly just fighting to keep it upright. One thing I will say is I think the M7RR are a fine, but not great, rain tire. Would go for PR4s next time.

I've got two more Sonoma days on the schedule for this year, and am looking hard at getting to Laguna. Now, I think I'm going to add THW to that list. In fact, Keigwins is running THil West next weekend....Hmm....

#23 ·
If everything works out, we're going to Thunderhill West next Sunday. :grin2:

I have done both Sears and Thill West on the Duke IV in the rain on a front rain and a rear DOT. The front rain really makes a huge, huge difference, although the back was slipping and sliding. I'm going to get a rear rain as well if it's looking like a wet spring, and will definitely get one for next winter if not - sure, it's some money, but the safety and fun factor make it worthwhile to me.

Attachments

#29 ·
Ah sorry to hear you were sick - I actually saw someone on a black duke, but their gear didn't look like yours.

Thanks for the suggestions on THill West. During the sighting sessions I thought I wasn't going to like the track - I was messing up all the corners and it felt very different than Sonoma. But, I immediately grabbed an instructor (Patrick) for the first open session, and got him to show me the lines. After that I had the swing of it (a big thing for me was entering the corners much later to hit the apex) I LOVED it. Definitely my favorite track (of the two I've ridden). The way the corners set up they're really fun and allow you the work on getting the bike over more and adding more speed - in comparison to all the off camber stuff at Sonoma. That said, I still enjoy Sonoma (And have two more days booked there).

One thing I messaged you on BARF about was that I got no where near dragging pegs, so I don't think I'll be needing rearsets (had discussed this with your husband).

What class/bike are you racing? The Daytona? Any other track days planned aside from this weekend? I've got June 6 @ Sonoma with Z2 booked, and am looking at May 13th with PTT at THill West.

#31 ·
I've been meaning to do that track, everyone who has run it has told me it would be great for a Duke, but I won't be around on those days. :(

#32 ·
Hey Bay Area dukes - bumping this back up. There's too many of us around here to not get together, and I'm jealous of the Aussies and their "rides in paradise"......

We've got a couple options, namely: road or track. My preference would be a track day, as since I started doing them last year it's really decreased my willingness to push it on the street (And I was already conservative to start with). And, with us all getting together, I feel the desire to "push it" will be strong haha. That said, I'm open to whatever gets us together so I'll propose two options:

*Road*: We meet this weekend (8/12 or 8/13) at one of the local go-to twisties for a group ride. I suggest meetings at Alice's and riding the SC mountains, but I'm open to other options if people want to lead elswhere.

*Track*: THill West w/ Fun track Dayz on September 16th &/or 17th (Sat/Sun). In my opinion THill West is the best track around for the Duke. It's also just really fun and probably the friendliest for first time track riders (not many blind turns, mostly positive camber, not really high speed corners), and it's about as cheap as peak season weekend track days come ($150/day).

On a side note: I'll be riding Sonoma w/ Z2 next Tuesday (8/15) and THill East next Saturday (8/19) if anyone is going/wants to join.
@sf_ds @brokenblinker @xanthia @B3D3G1 @squidword @mraelfwine

#33 ·
Hey Bay Area dukes - bumping this back up. There's too many of us around here to not get together, and I'm jealous of the Aussies and their "rides in paradise"......

We've got a couple options, namely: road or track. My preference would be a track day, as since I started doing them last year it's really decreased my willingness to push it on the street (And I was already conservative to start with). And, with us all getting together, I feel the desire to "push it" will be strong haha. That said, I'm open to whatever gets us together so I'll propose two options:

*Road*: We meet this weekend (8/12 or 8/13) at one of the local go-to twisties for a group ride. I suggest meetings at Alice's and riding the SC mountains, but I'm open to other options if people want to lead elswhere.

*Track*: THill West w/ Fun track Dayz on September 16th &/or 17th (Sat/Sun). In my opinion THill West is the best track around for the Duke. It's also just really fun and probably the friendliest for first time track riders (not many blind turns, mostly positive camber, not really high speed corners), and it's about as cheap as peak season weekend track days come ($150/day).

On a side note: I'll be riding Sonoma w/ Z2 next Tuesday (8/15) and THill East next Saturday (8/19) if anyone is going/wants to join.

@sf_ds @brokenblinker @xanthia @B3D3G1 @squidword @mraelfwine
I'm already planning on going to that Thudnerhill West weekend with some friends, it'll be my first track day. So yes, see you there!

This weekend I am considering riding South, perhaps to check out the open section of 1 between the two closed portions, down in Big Sur. No plans yet but I do know I will be tent camping, probably find a spot on a beach somewhere. Any campers want to join?

#35 ·
I sadly sold my Duke a week or two ago, but still have the s1kr. My back is in a largely stable state, so I'm down for group rides! I'm a bit scared if tossing the 1k down the track, so track days might wait til I have a second bike again.

#38 ·
I'll try and get on that Thill West weekend in Sept. That sounds perfect timing for me and will definitely be trying out more. I've been trying to find time to do my first trackdays since I'm getting aggressive on the streets. Do you guys usually ride there or rent out/have a truck/van to go up?

For street I'm good on early morning weekends. I live Eastbay during weekend, SF during weekdays.

#39 ·
Alright alright - THill West it is! For others on the thread, you guys should come join.

My first couple trackdays were at Sonoma, and I would just ride there from SF. But at that point I knew I was hooked so I bought an $800 '94 Ranger to haul my bike around this spring. It's a POS but it hasn't let me down yet. Also, THill is farther than I would want to drive to/from a track day, even from the East Bay. I can just barely squeeze a second bike into the bed, so I might be able to give your bike a lift. You'd probably want to transport yourself though as the truck gets packed with gear.

I'll have a canopy etc if you guys all want to Pit together at THill.

#40 · (Edited)
I appreciate the offer. I was thinking of renting out a transport van or truck from somewhere anyways and split the cost of a friend or two who might want to join. Gotta figure out the logistics and stuff to bring cause it's my first time. Get the hang of things and prepare better next time if necessary.

Other than that if anyone ever just want to ride on the street randomly I'm usually always hanging out at Redwood Road at the Chabot Regional park almost everyday around 5-6pm doing laps and just chilling. I can always try meeting up/ride a bit somewhere down south to Monterey area if people want to do that too.

#41 ·
I'm pretty sure we've met at redwood a few times. I was riding with @gokes today and he was selling me on thill west. It'd be my first trackday though and I still need to find leathers so I'm not sure if I'll have everything together for it. I'd be down to go in on rental truck whenever I manage to make it out to one though since we're both in the east bay.

#42 ·
Ah yes I believe we already met then. The only other duke4 I've seen as of recent. Yea I just bought for Sept 16 only for now because my friend got into a crash and isn't able to make the trackday anymore so I'm trying to find other people to split cost for a rental at the moment. Whenever you do find a pair of leathers and going to shoot for it let me know. Otherwise I'm still hanging out at Redwood Rd all the time lol.

Also if I'm not mistaken most track hosting organization usually allow two piece suit that have 270 zipper unless on higher paces? Just making sure cause that's all I have at the moment. Still looking to find a used one piece at a reasonable price.

#43 ·
If you can't get your bike there I might be able to bring it in my truck.

All local TDP that I know of all two-piece leathers if they're full zip. Z2 will even allow aerostitch or equivalent in C-group (aka Novice School).

BTW - what size are you? I've got a super beat up Alpinestars sz 48/58.

#44 ·
Appreciate the offer Gokes, I'll let you know what the dealio will be beginning of sept/end of aug if I need a ride. Although I assume you are doing two days? So either way I most likely will get a rental van/truck. And I'm a real skinny dude lol. I would be wearing a 34/44(maybe 36/46) suit depending on brand and cuts.

It's all good I have a two piece setup with full zip so I am good there. I just need to buy new tires and find time to change sprocket to 15/42 at some point to prep up.

#46 ·
If anyone is looking for cheap one piece. Sportbiketrackgear has some spidi one piece that's going for just about 600$. I don't know what sizes are left but I just grabbed mine so I'm pretty happy about that. Also rented out a truck using a site called Turo(?) So I'm solid on getting there. Appreciate the offers gokes.

On side note, ate **** while riding and low sided. Knee is swollen and can't walk at the moment so hopefully that'll heal up a good amount before the FTD Thill west. Bike sliders took all the damage so all good there :grin2:

#47 ·
Sucks to hear dude. You wipe out on redwood?

I bought some Dainese pants form motostorm so I'm hoping to find a jacket that fits. The one piece sizes look like they'll either crush my torso or fit like a clown suit. Might hit up the d-store to see if they've got any tall sizes. I'm waiting on a new fuel tank gasket from ktmtwins who are taking forever to ship so I haven't been riding lately

#48 ·
Right before the intersection of Claremont and Grizzlypeak coming from Skyline. Was heading up to The Wall and front washed out going over what looks like a bucket of gravel thrown on the road. Albeit I wasn't paying attention and took a bad line into the corner so it's whatever. Not a Wall regular and after this I'm just gonna chill in redwood even more hahaha.

When I picked up my bike, quite a bit of fuel spilled out. Same happened with my other high side crash. I got scared it being the coolant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.