KTM Forums banner

About to buy 690 Duke, what to keep in mind?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  markinthedark 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I'm plannig to buy a 690 Duke, 2012 model year (used one). It has currently 28000 kms, valve adjustment has been done at around 22000 kms. Front wheel and triple clamp bearings replaced with new ones.

It has full system Akrapovic and fuel mapping and some visual upgrades. Also, it is my dream bike.

I had nearly 6000 kms experience on 390 Duke (2013). Since i found a cheap deal, i started to think to buy it.

So my question is, what should i be careful about 690 Duke 2012 model? What kind of troubles/problems/annoyances might i face? Again, it's at 28000 kms and valve adjustment has been done at 22000 kms. And, the owner still rides it so that means bike has no issue, right?

Hope you help, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hey and welcome,

The 2012+ models are not configurable with the TuneECU software, that's the first thing to know. The previous Duke 690 models were and it's easy to get confused. 2012 is the year the bike changed most significantly in recent times.

If you're coming from a 390 you will likely be impressed.

Things to note that I didn't think I'd care about but eventually did and spent money on:

- Crash bars and fork sliders are very useful since this bike 'crashes well' with those bits on and can get torn up without them. $200-400
- Stock suspension sucks on the non-R model, I got the rear R shock and it's much better $500-1000
- Changed sprockets for better city riding, more torque and control in 1st and 2nd gears $60
- Got the upgraded powerparts seat, the stock one didn't bother me but the upgrade became available at a good price and it is indeed nicer $100
- After having an aftermarket exhaust on it without any changes to the mapping I will need to get a Power Commander V or Bazzaz (or other ECU piggyback system) and have the bike tuned. Without a proper fuel and ignition map an aftermarket exhaust results in a noticeable loss of power before 5,000 RPM. Right at 5k it starts pulling much harder. With a proper fuel and ignition map the bike pulls hard and smooth throughout the rev range. $320 for the unit, $200-500 for the tune
- Airbox modifications once the Power Commander V is on the bike in order to allow more air into the engine and make more power, complementing the exhaust upgrade. Free if you cut up your own airbox, $120 if you get a DNA S2 cover, $60-240 if you get another airbox (the range is because eBay vs. new).
- Some people drop a performance camshaft in the engine, netting even more power and fun. This requires flashing the Duke's ECU which only KTM dealers can do, and that ability is scarce in some parts of North America. Cam is ~$200, flash varies based on what dealer feels like charging, apparently

After that it's really just a matter of keeping fuel, oil, brakes, and tires fresh. If you don't care about the weird powerband hole before 5k, and if the suspension and gearing doesn't bother you, you can ride the bike without all those things and be very happy with it. I certainly didn't complain about the bike before those upgrades! :smile2:

Valve adjustments and checking the rockers are the biggest things with the LC4 as far as I can tell. Both are easy to take care of.

Oh and lots of people have their fuel tank warp at the filler hole, causing some venting and in the worst case, some leaking fuel when the bike isn't upright. There are many threads here about that. It's not an end of the world kind of thing but it does happen. A tank is $150 or so on eBay if it's a bad enough problem and KTM doesn't replace it for you for free.

Also some radiators spring a leak in the upper right corner. That seems to be one of those things that either happen or don't.

On that note, the coolant reservoir and the radiator cap is weird on our bikes and can lead to coolant overflowing when the bike gets really hot. That's 'normal' and not something to worry about. Fixes include topping up after that happens, or letting it overflow until it settles at a level the bike is happy with, or getting a new radiator cap which may relieve pressure earlier.

All in all it's a fantastic bike and TONS of fun. Really nothing to be concerned about. If it feels good while riding then it's fine. There are a bunch of ways you can put money into this bike to make it better and better, but even stock it is a guaranteed smile machine. If you like it, get it.

Reactions: Lambo
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your effort to put out these info.

The bike already has crash bars and fork sliders. I'm not into that kind of performance upgrades. Well, maybe much later, not for now for sure. I wouldn't buy a 690 but it seems really like a bargain.

Bike has a crash history, but it seems nothing major, damaged sliders, damaged front brake disk and all of them changed with newer ones.

#4 ·
Keep the front wheel down when being followed by the law.

Quiet exhausts attract less attention form said law and don,t loose much horsepower for riding on public roads.

If they are looking at you they are aiming their over-sized projectile to kill you.

You go where you look, "Don't look the the pole/car/truck" look at your escape route.

Check tire pressures, oil level, and lube chain regularly.

Don't let the wife catch you doing stoppies.

Any commute is a chance to have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.