KTM Forums banner

Duke 690 custom kick-out exhuast

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  pcguru000 
#1 ·
Removed the silencer from my bike, couldn't stand the sound... found that the cat-only sound is WAY nicer... but I wanted it to look decent too.

amazon.com/gp/product/B014UJEQ6A/

Wutcha' guys think :D

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Looks good, but can't imagine how loud it is. I have a full Arrow system with db-killer in and I consider selling the exhaust every day because I don't like how loud it is.
Same exhaust and I also wish it was quieter. It is better with my new Arai Signet X which, for the first time in 40 odd years of buying helmets, actually is quieter than previous lids.

Reactions: gokes
#8 · (Edited)
You might consider hiding the bolt on the clamp a bit. I had my expert muffler shop engineer a turn down, and he only charged me $20. He closely matched the stock flange so no gasket was necessary as the stock clamping system worked. It has been on the bike since it was a new 2015, and it is not at all loud or obnoxious, nor does it appear to impact the way that the bike runs. Stock, I was having difficulties hearing the engine and it effected my riding.

So, far, so good with the police, who, due to their lack of general knowledge about KTM's, no doubt think it is stock. I also like the way it uncluttered the bike to lose the stock exhaust, and I knocked 7 pounds off the weight of the bike, as well. I personally went for the most subtle look possible since with max enforcement in place in So Cal, the less attention it draws, the better.

BTW: I stole the basic idea from an earlier post on this board and I consider it a great mod, along with my short, 15/42, Boldor gearing.

Attachments

#12 ·
Ahhh! Yes I should have specified I did alter the exit pipe (from the cat) slightly- I cut 3 "slots" into it in order to "shrink" (see: hit with a mallet till it was smaller) it's diameter about 3-4mm to fit.

I'm terribly sorry if you ordered that expecting it to fit seamlessly it caught me off guard too.

Alternatively you could grind out the inside of that part, I started to doing this and realized it was going to take a century, hardened steel is hard lol.

#13 ·
Being a big fan of NOT re-inventing the wheel, I liked what I saw on this thread.
I had a mechanic buddy doing the 15-42 sprocket change, and since I had been talking about the silencer, he simply removed it. He had a friend in a muffler shop provide the pipe and he installed it. Minimal expense and time involved.
The sound is different. A bit louder, but not obnoxiously so. Of course, I'm 78, and my hearing is not great, so ymmv. I used to do some vintage road racing ( got lapped a lot :smile2: ), and the sound reminds me of many vintage singles. The 7 lb weight saving is a plus, as is the new ability to use soft throw-over sport bike bags. Not that I go that far, but a little luggage capacity is helpful.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.