KTM Forums banner

Stock Pegs vs Rearsets?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Benji 
#1 ·
OK, here's what I'm trying to sort out.

Big picture: I want to set up my 2017 Duke 690 so that it's maximally effective in the canyons and on an occasional track day.

I installed the KTM rearsets a couple of months ago.
At 6'3 it feels pretty damned tight and less than perfectly comfortable.

-What do I "lose" by going back to the stock pegs?

-Lean angle/clearance significantly compromised? Or, barely noticeable?

-Will I be able to drag a knee with rearsets but NOT be able to do so with the stock pegs?

COOLNESS factor aside(because they do look cool!!), what exactly do I lose or gain by removing the rearsets and going back?

****Anyone raced with the stock pegs?

Thanks!!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
My nick-name is not Stretch, so from the outset, I have an advantage over you. Even at 5'9" my heavily scarred right knee is uncomfortable for long rides, anything more than 20 mins :)

In short, performance bikes are not made for long people.

However, that is not what you are asking. The main reason I like the rear-sets is the action on the gear selection drum is neutral. That is, the mechanism provides rotational torque ONLY to the gear selector shaft. With the rather overly simplistic dirt-bike style stock gear lever, there is also a torque that pushes the gear selector shaft downwards and loads the bearings of the shaft. It is not a massive, but I did not like the feel of the stock lever.

And fortunately, I have short legs.

Regarding your other queries, clearance is an issue, but not a big one. Stock pegs reduce toe-clearance more than peg-clearance, so just lift the ball of your foot onto the peg as you set yourself up for the corner. Why do you NEED to drag your knee? I understand the purpose at a racetrack, but are you intending to drag pucks on the asphalt too? Knee-drag is more a function of leg length, so you should be able to drag knees anywhere.

Ville is your man to query here. He is big and apparently quite quick.

#8 · (Edited)
Since I haven't even picked up my Duke 690 yet, it is premature, (and maybe a bit presumptious) to post in on this thread. On my demo rides, I did feel that the stock footpegs were positioned a bit too forward for my taste. I'm 5' 8", 30" inseam, with thin legs, so I've never been uncomfortable with rearsets.
After I get a chance to put some miles on, I'll make a decision. I appreciate the input and comments from other owners.
I have no intention of racing, but will probably do some track days, and I'm slow enough that I doubt I'll be scraping anything even with the stock pegs. 0:)
Thx, weeksy.

I'm 5'9" with 30" legs.

Once I started with Duke 390, I found it weird looking the photos of myself on the small bike with so much bent knees. Then I rode one and surprisingly found it so comfy and conveninet for handling of the bike, and now I get used to it so much, that I am founding the foot positioning on 690 to much forward. The knees are bent at close to 90degr., unless I sit on the enge of the tank. I would not say it's the matter of scrapping anything - try to scrap the pegs with Duke... You see the pic in weeksy's post above... No way to scrap:D It's just personal preference and comfort.
However, still awesome bike, I'm telling you!

#7 ·
Since I haven't even picked up my Duke 690 yet, it is premature, (and maybe a bit presumptious) to post in on this thread. On my demo rides, I did feel that the stock footpegs were positioned a bit too forward for my taste. I'm 5' 8", 30" inseam, with thin legs, so I've never been uncomfortable with rearsets.
After I get a chance to put some miles on, I'll make a decision. I appreciate the input and comments from other owners.
I have no intention of racing, but will probably do some track days, and I'm slow enough that I doubt I'll be scraping anything even with the stock pegs. 0:)

#9 ·
I'm 6'5 and have one messed up knee but no problems what so ever using the KTM rearsets. Knee angle is quite comfortable compared to sports bikes.

Knee dragging is only a lean angle gage and with proper tyres the Duke leans to silly angles effortlessly and comfortably so no need for that.
My toe sliders scrape the tarmac consistently but my knee pucks are only slightly worn.

Stick with the rearsets if your knees can handle it.

#11 ·
How does the height of PP "R" Racing Sets compare to aftermarket rearsets (Sato or comperable).

I've gotten into track days this year, and as I'm running a faster pace and generating more lean angle, clearance is really becoming an issue.

I'm running these adjustable pegs set to the highest level within the stock peg holders flipped ([ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/191182677888?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/ame]). This past weekend I ground them down to the point they were basically knives. I didn't realize how sharp they were and sliced my leg pretty good loading the bike.

I need to buy something, and would prefer to buy the PP as they're half the price of proper rearsets.

#12 ·
How does the height of PP "R" Racing Sets compare to aftermarket rearsets (Sato or comperable).

I've gotten into track days this year, and as I'm running a faster pace and generating more lean angle, clearance is really becoming an issue.

I'm running these adjustable pegs set to the highest level within the stock peg holders flipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/191182677888?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT). This past weekend I ground them down to the point they were basically knives. I didn't realize how sharp they were and sliced my leg pretty good loading the bike.

I need to buy something, and would prefer to buy the PP as they're half the price of proper rearsets.
I put a massive slice in my leg with that set too, required a trip to emergency department and several stitches.

#13 · (Edited)
The R rearsets combined with the R models taller suspension give decent lean angle.
The rearsets alone help but for racing hike the bike 1,5-2cm.
With size 13 boots my toe sliders always touch down before the foot peg so don't have to worry about that.

#14 ·
Bought these from ebay (same supplier as for the sharp flesh cutting ones mentioned above). Hoping to get some more confidence in my footing while leaned over. Got the R model so the rearsets and raised shocks don't get me down to the point of sharpening the footpegs. We'll see how they work.. for now they only look good :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.