690 Duke: I got one! - Page 3 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > KTM Bikes > Duke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Nesbitt View Post
So what you are saying is that KTM expects its customers to spend over $2,500 for an exhaust system for a SINGLE cylinder motorcycle? And until they fork over the cash, their bikes aren't going to run worth a damn?
That's not what im saying at all. The Duke is perfectly good on the stock system, slightly restricted by the CAT, but thats why you have adjustable engine management to free it up a bit.

As far as im aware Akro are making the only after market pipe for the Duke. Europe is flooded with bike exhaust manafacturers and none of them are making a Duke system, probably because there are so few Duke's in production its not worth their development costs.
Why Akro needed to make the Duke system in Ti instead of steel is probably about profit, just as making the silencer uncompatible with the standard link pipe is, but no one is forced to buy it.

Last edited by Danny_Two; 07-15-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Danny_Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default perfectly good...

Perfectly good? So that means that you have ridden a 690 Duke with a free flowing system and you felt no appreciable difference over the stock set-up?
You actually RODE a Duke with a pipe on it? I have ridden both configurations and I will reiterate, it is WAY faster.
Dude- I am not looking to buy an exhaust system, read my post. All I need is a fuel map download. Making the exhaust is childsplay, Hell your local muffler shop could make a pipe for this thing. IT's A SINGLE cylinder, one pipe, solo, uno, Duke, party of one your table is ready....
What I can't seem to get across to you is that KTM should have alternate fuel maps available for their customers specifically BECAUSE there is going to be so little aftermarket support. Again, the "engine management" trimpot is a spark advance curve adjustment. It has zero affect on the amount of fuel delivered via the fuel injection, Haven't we already covered this ground? -- JT
JT Nesbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default KTM North America

I just got off the phone with KTM North America. This will be the 4th time I have called KTM in as many months. I took delivery of my Duke in April.The gentleman in charge of customer service, Todd Jones, has lost patience with me. I asked him for a fuel map, he responded by saying that the Akropovic exhaust system has not been released to the US. I replied that I didn't need the system, just the map. I also reminded him that one month ago he promised that the download would be available in late June. I asked him for contact info for a rep in Austria, he declined. I reminded him that I wasn't asking for anything that KTM Austria didn't already have. "please just email the map to my dealer" I said. His response "pestering us for it will only make it take longer". "Well thanks for taking the call, I guess", the line was already dead.
I was planning to take this bike to Bonneville this year, but now I am not so sure that I want to advertise for KTM.
Anybody out there want to comment? -- JT
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

So what are you actually running, a moded stock pipe or a custom pipe? If you want the Akro map contact Akro, but its not going to be any good unless you're running the Akro, which you're not.
You keep talking about KTM supplying alterate fuel maps... maps for what? There are no alternative systems apart from the Akro, so no alternate maps.
If you want a custom map go to a tuners and get one set up.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default RPM and fuel

An alternate map will provide more fuel at a given throttle position. The map doesn't know whether the exhaust gasses are running through an Akro pipe or a homemade job. It only provides more or less fuel. A simple EGA will tell you if the mixture is close. If it's way off, modify the pipe to fine tune, (longer, shorter, bigger diameter, smaller diameter), however, in most cases, the "race" tune is going to be close enough for the street when the exhaust design isn't completely radical. I have had alot of dyno time and have built many exhaust systems, and can assure you that alternate maps are not brand loyal.
As for going to a tuner, accessing the CPU on this motorcycle is not an option. The tune must go through KTM's system to be granted access, it's password protected. I have already spoken with Dynojet and they have no plans to produce a bypass system (Power Commander) for this motorcycle.
As for "maps for what?" How about maps for racing. Maps for performance. Hell , how about maps just for fun.
Go to your local Triumph dealer, ask them about available maps for their motorcycles. They got a whole bunch of 'em! There are usually a couple of different ones available for each model (high pipe, low pipe, etc.). Do they want you to buy the Triumph branded pipe? Well sure, but they aren't going to hold their customers hostage.
How did I make my pipe, you ask? I retained the stock mounting flange, and used 308 stainless tubing as follows: 1.78" od for 25", 2.0" od for 6" 2.25" od for 3" then back down to 1.5"od perforated tube with stainless steel wool muffler packing for 14". Total exhaust length is 48" which I feel is a bit short, but the step up to the larger diameter, and subsequent reduction, may well "trick" the gasses into thinking that it is longer. I also used header wrap. I have found through past experiences that it does actually work.
One thing is for sure, even running lean, my bike will romp on a stocker! A new map will smooth out the power delivery, but probably wont reduce power for any given rpm. As soon as I can get a new freaki'n map, I'm putting this one on the dyno to test the air fuel ratio and will let you know how she does. ---JT
Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Nesbitt View Post
As for going to a tuner, accessing the CPU on this motorcycle is not an option. The tune must go through KTM's system to be granted access, it's password protected.
I didn't know that, you're starting to make more sense now.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default Anybody out there?

Anybody out there want to post? KTM are you listening? Nobody besides me wants to hot rod this bike? -- JT
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

Default Talked to dynojet today

Dynojet, maker of the Power commander will be releasing a Power Commander module for the 690 SM in mid sept. They said that this module might work on the 690 duke. I am going to be in the area (Las Vegas) in mid Sept. on my way back from racing at Bonneville and plan on stopping at the Dynojet research facility with my bike. Hopefully I will be able to sweet-talk them into getting her on the dyno to explore a couple of map possibilities. I will post the Dyno results here if and when they are available. Unfortunately I will NOT be racing this bike at Bonneville and won't have any results to share with the group from that event. Thanks for all the help KTM......JT
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to letsburnbridges

now i understand what you meant earlier haha. i cant imagine the sm module is any different from the duke's...are there any differences between the engine configurations? I am racing the bike this coming monday at Mid-Ohio track, can't wait.
letsburnbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearider View Post
I have a starting issue and wanted to know if you guys have experienced it.

When the bike is warmed up or cold, it will (sometimes) barely turn over, like the battery is dead. Then always on the second try, it fires up, like nothing was ever wrong. Commonwealth thinks the bike is at top dead center when this happens which does not open the compression release. It does sound possible to me. They phoned two of their customers with the 690 SM (basically same motor/transmission) and they said the motor sometimes did not start on the first attempt with them either but I could not pin down if were talking about the same thing.

Has anybody experienced this or should I ask for a new starter?

Many, many thanks for any answers you can give me on this. Outside of this one issue, this is the most fun bike I have ever ridden. Deals Gap hear I come.
I've had nearly the same issues with my starter system,plus the "intermittent shut-off" one as well.My dealer had my bike for 2 months, before he diagnosed the starter to be bad. I was also told it had something to do with it being a "high-compression single"...etc. I have my doubts... I took it to him due to it being a new bike with only just over 1K miles, and already having issues. I'll handle it differently, from here out...certainly ! all this for $8500.+ ?? WOW! c'mon KTM! did you guys introduce this bike too soon? FI? ECU? Ok...
Advertisement