2013 690 duke vs drz400 supermoto - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > KTM Bikes > Duke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 2013 690 duke vs drz400 supermoto

Hey guys I'm new here but have been a rider for a long time. Got word that the new 690 duke is back in the states.... Went down to check them out.... Love the look and the feel from just sitting on it. Currently I got one lined up to purchased this Thursday.
Before I pull the trigger I have a few questions for those of u who have a new 12/13 duke 690...
I I
Know the older 690 dukes had some issues with vibrations, Ive heard the new dukes are a lot better but still have some vibrations. Now for those of u who have ridden or had a drz400sm how do the vibrations compare to the new duke....?

Also for those of u who live in the states if u don't mind sharing what u paid OTD for the bike I'd great appreciate it. It will help me have a better idea what I can get one for.

Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure ill have more questions.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Last edited by Derek Short; 07-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Derek Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Junkie

Haven't ridden a DRZ, but I can assure you that the vibes are not worth bothering about.

Stutters from the fuel system running too leanly, that's a different story, that was a big problem for me, but an easily and inexpensively fixable problem.
Boldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mega Poster

Same as Boldor. Can't say the vibration is anything to worry about. Don't have a problem with numbness etc, and I'm able to drive 400km in one go (with only a 5 minute petrol stop) without any problems. Haven't tried any further.

Also as Boldor is saying, the low rpm stutters are fixed nicely with the O2 mod that Kevxtx has posted (see sticky in this forum).
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Silver Member

I've got a DR350 which I'm betting vibrates similarly to a DRZ400 which is very little. The Duke 690 definitely vibrates more but that seems obvious that it would. I haven't ridden an older 640 version that really vibrated but I have ridden an old BSA Victor and that vibrated like a paint mixer and the 690 isn't even in the same universe as that. Besides the vibes of the 690 aren't particularly annoying like a 4 cylinder buzz can be. Mine vibrated less after break in and less again after remapping with a richer mixture and free flowing pipe and intake. Expect some vibration but don't worry about it and you'll be happy.
Roadrogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My 2013 Duke 690 does vibrate slightly more than a DRZ 400. The vibration is not really that bad and I can ride thru a full tank with no problems. The vibration is not that "annoying wear you out type" that some small I4's have. The Duke's vibes are no where near as bad as the Harley I owned several yrs ago.

What I did discover was that after I installed the crash bars, the vibration was noticably less - at least to me. I wonder if anyone else had that experience??

Get the Duke and don't look back. I can say that after owning a bunch of motorcycles over the last several decades, the 690 Duke is hands down my favorite. You won't be disappointed.
primape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated!
Any other advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Also on a side note where would be a good place to find and buy upgrades for the 690 duke?
Derek Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Short View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated!
Any other advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Also on a side note where would be a good place to find and buy upgrades for the 690 duke?
ktmtwins.com has a lot of stuff for them and it is a motorcycle shop in San Francisco, not just a internet store.
Roadrogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I owned both.

The DRZ vibrates at 110 km/h the same way the Duke vibrates at 170 km/h.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Maltraxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mega Poster

Outside of the States I use www.bikersjersey.com. Excellent customer support, can get everything you need fairly quickly. Also the prices are best I've found in EU.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thumpers are gonna vibrate some, just the way it is...even my SDR has a tingle thru the bars.

If you want a little more isolation at the grips, try Grip Puppies...a foam grip overlay that just slides over your existing grips with a little dish soap as a lube.
Available from;

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/prod...categoryId=103

Enjoy your new KTM.

Last edited by Transformer; 07-10-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement