new 690 owner - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > KTM Bikes > Duke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new 690 owner

Hi guys, I'm a first time KTM owner mainly because this is the first KTM I could touch the ground on. I've been motorcycling for 40+ years predominately on Italian bikes. I want to make some changes to my Duke but I find most of the powerparts websites very cluttered not very user friendly. Some of the priority changes I want to make is of course exhaust. Not too loud and maybe something that doesn't require an FI programming change. BTW what is involved in changing a fuel map? Also high on my list are crash guards, windshield, handguards and maybe a rear rack. Looking forward to lots of riding
86 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
12 Fiat Abarth 500

Last edited by motowarren; 01-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.
motowarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mega Poster

Welcome aboard and congrats on your KTM!

There are plenty of resources to assist you as to options.

A remap shouldn't be done unless you've removed the catalytic converter and that usually translates into a louder exhaust system.

If you leave the cat on, there are many slip-on options that will ensure that the exhaust is never offensive (and not require a re-map).

A remap is about 30 minutes labor for knowledgeable dealers (others about 1 hour -they seem to struggle with the Duke 4 as a new tool was introduced) the map is free - you just pay for labour but I dont recommend you do this with the cat in place.

With respect to upgrades and PP - see some of the living cool "upgrade"threads updated regularly....and reach out to the guys for details on what you like.
2cati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Silver Member

Welcome to the fun and enjoy the mods, like 2cati said, lots of what you're looking to do has been covered in threads here.
Good fun, enjoy the ride
hyperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Junkie

Was wondering when you would appear over here, welcome to the pumpkin patch mate Good bunch of guys and gals always willing to give advice.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Congrats Motowarren.

Hope you have some spare cash, owning a Duke can be addictive to modifications.

Powerparts Catalogue is just pure pawn (yes I know I spelt it wrong, deliberately).

Guys like Wiwwee and Boldor lead the way on crazy schit to do to your Duke and all in all there are good advise from everyone.

Just remember, KTM stands for "Keep Throwing Money"!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowarren View Post
Hi guys, I'm a first time KTM owner mainly because this is the first KTM I could touch the ground on. I've been motorcycling for 40+ years predominately on Italian bikes. I want to make some changes to my Duke but I find most of the powerparts websites very cluttered not very user friendly. Some of the priority changes I want to make is of course exhaust. Not too loud and maybe something that doesn't require an FI programming change. BTW what is involved in changing a fuel map? Also high on my list are crash guards, windshield, handguards and maybe a rear rack. Looking forward to lots of riding
Looks like you and I have a couple of similar bikes. You have a Rosso and I have a Scura as well as our 690's. I'm headed out this afternoon for a 4 day ride thru Southern Az. I'll be in Tombstone tonite. I've got a Puig screen, handguards and a Wolfman Beta Bag for traveling.

M
milar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT01 View Post
Congrats Motowarren.

Hope you have some spare cash, owning a Duke can be addictive to modifications.

Powerparts Catalogue is just pure pawn (yes I know I spelt it wrong, deliberately).

Guys like Wiwwee and Boldor lead the way on crazy schit to do to your Duke and all in all there are good advise from everyone.

Just remember, KTM stands for "Keep Throwing Money"!
Well I come from a Ducati background so I'm used to the money pit thing with the add-on's. My wife says if Harley's, Ducati's and KTM's are such great bikes how come everybody spends so much money trying to change them. BTW I've never owned a Harley. The closest I got was owning a Buell once.
86 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
12 Fiat Abarth 500
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Since I'm new here. I need a clarification. Can I assume a Duke 4 is a 2012-13 690 Duke and a Duke 3 is a 08-11 Duke 690? Also Since I'm not after more HP just something that sounds more like a motorcycle I've decided to try a Leo Vince slip on my 13 690. Is there a place that has a better price than anybody else for these?
86 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
12 Fiat Abarth 500
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Junkie

Correct.
Duke 3 = 08-11
Duke 4 = 12-and out

For a proper sound you'll gonna need to remove the catalysator. If you get the leovince slipon, you could also consider the leovince midpipe, or Fresco decat pipe. Same thing really, but I imagine the Fresco pipe being a bit more violent in the sound (no pre silencer, just a pipe)
SneakyOwl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I won't be removing the cat. I don't want to be bothered with reprogramming and I don't need more power. I usually find myself somewhat over the speed limits so I don't want to announce my coming with a too loud pipe
86 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
12 Fiat Abarth 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement