KTM Forums banner

Duke 690 Recall??

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  2cati 
#1 ·
Got a call, today,from a lead mechanic at the dealer where I bought my 2013 Duke 690(River Rat Powersports, Bullhead City, AZ) stating that there is a recall on the Dukes because of a possible missing circlip on the rear sprocket,, at least that's what I could understand over speakerphone with a lot of background noise... Anyone else know of a recall on these?? I can't find anything on KTM's site!!

#3 ·
I've no idea what he was talking about. "A retaining clip for the rear sprocket" is the response I got when I asked "circlip?" Only recall I've could find was on the ktm site for the '14 duke 390's. Maybe I'll take it in and come away with a free hat.

#8 ·
There is a thin 'nylos ring' aluminium washer that sits between the outer bearing on the sprocket carrier and the swinging arm - that might be what they're referring to?

That is on the 2012 duke mind you, and I don't have the drive to check the fiche for the 2013 model.

It strikes me that it only acts as a dust cover for the outermost left side wheel bearing. I found mine mashed fully into the bearing by the guy who last changed my tyres and had to get my bearing replaced. Just a lesson to watch carefully how people put your wheels back on, I suppose.

#9 ·
Not sure if this is what they are talking about, but on the sprocket bolts ,they sit recessed onto the sprocket carrier. 3 of my bolts were not recessed into the carrier, and made divits into the carrier walls.

Simple fix, just loosen bolt, re-position them and re-tighten.

#10 · (Edited)
Is there a diagram or pictures showing the rear wheel/sprocket/cush drive assembly??

I'm a visual person and find the "text" hard to follow....

for example this is the Duke 3 service manual - if you go to page 64 you will see the rear wheel/cush drive/bearing

http://duke690r.com/files/3206084en.pdf

Does anyone have a pic of the 2013 Duke 4 wheel disassembled?

The Duke 3 manual shows a bearing on the sprocket housing - perhaps there are cir-clips that keep that bearing in place....looks like the rear wheel needs to be removed to check this...

#11 ·
#13 ·
So, after a 2 hour haul of the bike to River Rat Motorsports in Bullhead City, AZ, first thing outta the mechanics mouth was "hope ya brought your gear, cuz you need to have a lil fun if you drove this far! Take the Super out, we have a Demo!" SCOOOOOOOORRREE!!!! I just so happened to toss my gear in my truck!! Sport mode is highly recommended, a must actually. And if you're a buck-50 soaking wet, like me, the torque will not allow the front wheel to stay on the ground hammering through 5 gears!! Torque is immense!! Def worth the recall!!
As for the circlip, mine was seated correctly, got my papers saying I made the effort to get it looked at by the certified KTM tech. They haven't seen any Duke's with the circlip improperly seated, yet. But do take your's in, if you have the recall, AND MAKE SURE THE DEALER HAS A DEMO SUPER DUKE!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.