KTM Forums banner

2012 690 Duke: As A Trackie

148K views 606 replies 61 participants last post by  cors187 
#1 ·
I am opening this thread for tips, info, experience that anyone has to contribute towards setting up the 2012/13R for the track.

Well just under a week ago, I put the 690 on the track for the first time. Fcuk me!

Just so you know where I am coming from. I am not a racer, never have been, but I am an excited and keen trackie hooligan. I have been a budget biker for 25ish years. I was a M/C courier for 10 years. I have not owned many bikes less than 10 years old. The most sophisticated bike I have ridden on the track was a tired RGV250. I have done one session on my mates SD990 - noice.

The Duke is the first late model, sophisicated, truly modern-capable I have spent a full track day on. The track is Eastern Creek, Sydney, including new twisties at eastern end of the track. I rode in the fast-medium group, one group below race licensed.

Set up.

Advanced Injection Setting - the one under the pillions seat.

Standard cog ratio. Higher is needed. I installed a 17 tooth on the front, but the teeth foul on the swinging arm guard. Gunna hafta dig deep and buy a smaller rear sprocket I guess.

K&N filter in standard box.

Straight through exhaust with Akraprovich silencer - baffle removed (dB killer). Removal gave me 6 km/h on the straight. Top speed all day, 196 km/h as per stock speedo.

Rear Preload - about 4 turns tigher - can't remember - it doesn't feel much different truthfully.

Michelin PP on the front wheel, as per stock.

Tyre Warmers were used.

New Michelin PR3 on the rear, not really a serious track tyre. I was keen to shag the edges, get rid of nasty chicken strips and have a long lasting rear tyre for the road over summer. The edge of the PR3 is rounder than the PP so it is more difficult to feel its edge. The PP rides up onto a fairly square edge, as you bank it over and traction begins to lessen right at the end, as the bike rides on a folding rubber edge, making its feel really predictable. I would expect that when the PR3 let go, it'd be a one way trip. But it was not! I went from 2nd into 1st by accident on exit and it let me know about my mistake, but recovered quickly.

I received the bike from the shop with about 35-36 psi. It was like riding a freshly sharpened ice skate. Book says standard is about 26 psi - from memory, that felt ugly to me. So I've been getting about at 32-ish psi - I like that pressure. Initially though at 32 psi, I was getting pretty nasty tear wear and tread scalloping.

Track pressure is always less than road pressure and I was running at the high end of road pressure - only one way to go. At 30 psi the tyre healed a bit and at 29 psi it healed a lot. I dare say you could go lower still.

Next trackie will be on motard tyres.

So how'd it go? Insane. Hopeless on the straight, assassin everywhere else. You can literally be riding side by side with a sports 600 and just wait for him to brake, use him as the braking marker, 'cause sure as schit you can pull up in 2/3's the distance. Of course you do this on the inside in the braking zone, slap it on its side without over shooting the corner and use that phenomenal phat single torque to launch you off to the next corner. No doubt, sports bikes are going to get poohey fairly quickly at this sort of behaviour - like I care. In my pit shot you'll see a blue Gixxer, that guy could round me up anywhere he pleased. So I guess rider skill and experience still counts for more than the bike itself: but the Duke suited me to a tee.

I even joined the knee-down club.

See less See more
#511 ·
The tyres are Pirelli Supercorsa SC 1 which are race compounds I should have used the SC 2s instead as they wear a bit better. I'm looking at the Andreanis myself as the next mod. The front plate is a modified KTM motorcross jobbie $25 as I blatantly refused to pay $300 for the duke cup one. As per the pic the numbers go on the pillion cover. The next race meeting at Eastern Creek is November 5/6 and it appears as though we may have about 4 690s lined up in Bears formula 5 so if anyone is interested in racing come and have a look and come down to the pits for a look.

Attachments

#516 ·
The tyres are Pirelli Supercorsa SC 1 which are race compounds I should have used the SC 2s instead as they wear a bit better. I'm looking at the Andreanis myself as the next mod. The front plate is a modified KTM motorcross jobbie $25 as I blatantly refused to pay $300 for the duke cup one.
Thanks for the info. Your tire choice is the same as one of the forum members from Canada who was also getting back into some local club racing last year. He advised using SC1 front and SC2 rear as he found that to be the best mix of stick and tire life, even on some cobby tracks. You may want to give that combo a shot. I think I will start out that way myself next year and see what happens.
I'll need to get some new warmers though as my son nicked my old set.

Do you happen to have a part number on that front number plate or know what model it came off of?

#512 ·
The parts of PI I enjoy are Stoner Corner, The Hayshed and Lukey Heights.

#514 ·
Matchan, you and Boldor should come down to EC for a look in November you may like what you see in the BEARS paddock and come racing..

#515 ·
Mate, I'd love to and normally would be there with bells on given there's a couple of Dukes going around but I'm out of the country for the next 3 months for work, if there is anything in the new year or if you're going around next year I'll definitely come over for a look.

#518 ·
I have that combo on the 748 and it works well and thought I would try the SC 1 on the 690 due to the difference in horsepower I thought it would wear similarly. Back to the SC 2 I think. I don't know the part number but I think it is off a 390 or 450 MX bike. I cut the riser that attaches to the handlebar off so it originally looks like it has one ear on it. Boldor its the 5/6 th Nov, just come down and have a look its the last race of the season so if you are interested you can set up for Feb which is the start of the new series. Sometimes the Friday before they run a track day not sure about this one.

#519 ·
Boldor its the 5/6 th Nov, just come down and have a look its the last race of the season so if you are interested you can set up for Feb which is the start of the new series. Sometimes the Friday before they run a track day not sure about this one.
I do appreciate the enthusiastic invitation.

I am reluctant to commit to racing mainly due to money and time; I cannot make it to track days ATM.

The reason I was doubly hesitant about November is that I have promised a patient that I would go to Bathurst in November to watch him race in the Long Track meeting.

#520 ·
No worries not after a commitment just letting you know about the upcoming races, just sharing the the love of the 690 always fun watching what you ride running around a racetrack

#522 ·
Eastern Creek race day just around the corner now, November 5/6, BEARs Formula 5 entries so far 2x KTM 690s, 2x 696 monsters and a 900 Ducati SS with possible a gen3 690. Appears Formula 4 and 5 will be racing with Unlimited Clubsport as there is a full grid of 50 BEARs F1,2 and 3. New rear being put on today to replace this "tyred" one

Attachments

#524 ·
Would be a great road tyre as it would smooth out after 1000k or so, there is only about 160 km on it at the moment.

#527 ·
The belly pan is the cup kit version, a few guys on the forum have sourced carbon fibre ones so there is a choice out there.

Attachments

#528 ·
Quick review of the weekends events at St George MC Sydney Motorsportpark race meeting. Saturday practice uneventful, qualifying out lap the 1 quick lap then decided to try 3rd for extra drive coming out of turn 6 instead of 4th and spun the rear out, not far to fall as I was still on the knee slid of the track and onto the grassy knoll about 20 mtrs overall. After a couple of crocodile death rolls picked the bike up realised all controls were connected, started her up and rode back to the pits. Broke my skateboard wheel axle protector when it hit the ripple strip and bent the bolt on the footpeg. Thanks to the crash bars everything was intact. Pics to follow. The one flying lap recorded 1:54.7 only .1 sec slower than my fastest lap ever around there on a Daytona 600. Pretty happy considering the katee has 60 odd hp and the 600 had 100 hp. 4 races over the next 2 days with a best ever 1:54.4 on sunday with a first lap from standing start of 1:59.8. Highlight was holding it flat down the straight and not backing off at all going into turn 1 at 185 kmh until 150 mtrs from turn 2. Those who have ridden the creek will understand the story better than those who dont but I cant believe how fast these things go around corners, lean angle is dictated only by clearance and on 2 occasions going around the outside of bikes on the off camber turn 4 was unbelievable. Ended up third as I just couldn't hold back the ducatis down the straight. Formula 5 racing had the top 3 of us within half a second of each other the other 2 about 3 secs behind. The closest 5 lap race was 3 secs between 1st and 2nd and I was .3 of a sec behind in 3rd not quite a bike length. Sorry if its too long winded but too excited to stop typing.....BTW the crash in qualifying may have ended my weekend if I was riding my 748 as the damage would have been quite significant.

#529 ·
1. Doin' with a single what you used to do with a 100hp triple

2. Exiting turn one at 185. You must have your entry sorted, too tight and you're on the bumps, too loose and you're on the grass.

3. Still ridable after a tumble

I enjoyed your long winded rant

#530 ·
The daytona was the 600 inline four version I couldnt get my head around 13,000 rpm screaming engine on your knee coming out of turn 12, did my head in. Plus the leathers look even more second hand than they did before.

#534 ·
Added a couple of pics from the weekend, couldnt get any decent ones of the leathers, busy in the pits we had 6 bikes in one garage still managed ok tho, front tyre after the weekend noticed the disc is getting a bit howdy doody when I saw the pic, and the main damage from the crash the broken skateboard wheel axle protection and bent threaded rod. The only other things were scratched crash bars and bent footpeg bolt. Reinforced my theory on solid pegs in a crash as I got straight back on and rode back as there were no broken controls :grin2:

Attachments

#535 · (Edited)
I've been on the fence whether to take the duke out to the track. I already have a dedicated track bike and have decided to quit riding on the street. I'm torn between tracking it and making it my first race bike or just sell it and put the money into my daytona and race that. I feel like I'll get more out of racing in the SV class than starting with 600s, but the bike is also no where near race ready. It's pretty much stock. Is it worth it to try the bike out on my next track day with the stock foot pegs or are they really going to limit my angle? I use a hitch carrier so I only have the option to choose one bike for the day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#537 ·
Hey Littlehat, I have raced a daytona 600 the 4 cyl one, Ducati 748 and the 690 so far the 690 is the most fun. Depends on the series but I ckon the SV series would be a good start point where the guys who race 600s race for sheep stations...

#538 ·
Crash bars took a fair whack with the race off but very happy with the protection they gave. Definitely a must have.

Attachments

Reactions: Sean_K and Boldor
#539 ·
At the risk of boring you all to death with my mantra: ^^ This is the number one reason to Duke.

To Wiwwee: I have softened my stance on the 800 after some more research. Just as you have figures you need met to consider the 800, mine would be the availability of the same level of crash protection.

#541 ·
Hey Fly,

My pipe has heatwrap on it as it has a few scratches on it. I think it looks ok but to each their own

Attachments

Reactions: Boldor
#542 ·
Never thought to heat wrap a can. I am not a fan of heat wrap, but I kind of like that effort. I painted my Akrapovic can black to go with my ceramic'd pipe. It is time to re-do the can because even engine paint gets blistered by the heat of this exhaust. Maybe I will copy you.

#545 ·
A couple of pics from the eastern creek race weekend. Definately need to get a heavier spring on the rear as the squat under heavy throttle is way too much..or go on a huge diet...

Attachments

Reactions: cors187
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.