KTM Forums banner

Engine noise problem

18K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Kursat Savas 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello eveyrone.

After my Dashboard full malfunction (and replacement under warranty). I now have a terrible metalic noise when engin is running.
Sound is mainly heard at idle and low rpm. But engine sound in higher rpm is different too.
I also feel a loss of power and a bigger step in power delivery around 4500/5000 rpm. and lower top speed (but this depends on too many other condition, wind, road etc... but still)

I got it towed to the nearest ktm dealer. when the Guy came and heard that noise, he just told me not to use it in these conditions. It suddently appeared when i started it up one day, whereas it was working fine the day before.

I think i'm cursed with this bike. I might have picked a bad serie...
I'll keep you informed about the repairs

[edit], i forgot to mention it's the 2012 690 duke, and it has only 4k km and is all stock :)

#3 ·
Wasn't the a valve drive chain tensioner issue with the 690 engines?

I think there is a post about it where the guys were replacing them with
manual tensioners.

#6 ·
well, dealer just called.
noise came from the catalyser. The welding partly broke inside.
So, thanks to the warranty, they'll replace my cat with the new 2013 model :001_tt2:
Was so afraid it could be an oil problem :sweatdrop:. I should have built my cat bypass already ! damn it!

#7 ·
Good news.

Those darn cats.....:cursing:

#10 ·
Hi ktm brothers :) ı have ktm duke r 2016 and same issue like you bad sound problem (but not from exhaust ,directly from inside of engine), everythink begun 7 days ago with some strain when starting engine for 5-10 seconds,in the morning when ı push start button it takes to get normal ıdle rpm 5-10 seconds from Dying engine sound to ıdle sound and rpm but still problematic irregular sound ,ı didnt Take care of this because of the weather conditions and ı wait to get normal engine heat(very cold -13C)but 2 minutes later sound was the same and I stopped the motorcycle and press start again and it start again but still bad noise so ı stopped motorcycle and ı call ktm service in Turkey,they sad me its a battery problem because of weather conditions,(motorcycle worked ever day with no problem 15000km) ı sad ok battery may be dead and changed the battery it worked but wery wery hardly started in 10-15 seconds,yes it worked but with a really bad mechanic sound again(sound was increased),then I begun to drive 100-200 meters but when I push motorcycle from 2500rpm to 4000 or 5000 rpm it didnot get pushed the motorcycle,just get slow ,and ı lisetned the engine that sound increased ,the sound is coming from Valve area maybe from rocker shaft but Im sure sound coming from upside of the engine.then ı stopped the motorcycle Without hesitation,then called KTM service again and they say me to get motorcycle to service,so I gave the motorcycle service with a car.and I m waiting in order .I called service 5 days later(today)( they sad we tried motorcycle with recharged battery but it didnt worked)we will look inside of engine.I have no idea what would cause this but my ktm is in a very bad situation:(.is there any chronic engine problem with ktm duke 690r 2016?

Attachments

#11 ·
Brother Kursat,

Please keep us posted as to the result. My 2016 Duke had an automatic decompressor that was not working. A quick check is to monitor battery voltage while starting. voltage should not drop more than 1.5 volts when the engine is cranking over.

Simply removing the valve cover will allow you to determine if this is the problem. If the decompression "finger" is in the running position with the engine off, that is the problem.

Lack of power may be due to the cam and crank not being timed together properly.

good luck.

#13 ·
Thanks for the reply bro,yes I checked the recharged ktm old battery((8 months old only)) and new battery ,all was full loaded, also checked the motorcycle charging voltage, all was ok 14,4-14,5.maybe there is a shortcut problem in electrical system that caused this or maybe like you sad there is a decompression "finger" problem,but if this problems damaged the other parts how I ll know this :( , Warrany may cover this problem but I dont know will motorcycle be at the same performance also how ı m gone sell this bike when upgrading ,who wants repaired ktm 690R,I m so sad ,but we will see what will ktm do,I ll keep posting ,

#14 ·
dont worry they will fix it.
nothing wrong with repaired KTM.
once repaired you will have same or better performance.
could be just the know issue with the RockerArms
bike will not start if rockers are broken.
also if valves are too tight and out of specs engine might not start either.

i think valve checks on 690 2012-2015 should be more often maybe every 5000-7000kms instead of 10000kms.
to catch the rocker arms issue earlier.

#16 ·
KTM called

Hello bros,ktm called me and gived some information,they sad "motor had broken ".me:which part had broken ?KTM:somethink broken from upper side.me:did rocker arm or rocker arm connected components broken?.KTM:somethink broken from Valve components.and one ktm control delegate responsible people will look and push the procces for repair .me:will All repair costs be covered by guarantie?KTM:we are not sure.We will inform you about this..So we all see what will KTM do to this procces.

#18 ·
Ye bro ,we will see how they are good or not,this situation is little in trouble about Australia mailings with service I think, becauseThey asked me today that Did I made any maintenance in nonktm services?I dont know why they asked me.my motorcycle 2016 model duke r,its almost new for me ,1000km maintenance made in istanbul spormoto ktm(best engineers KTM in Turkey ) and 10000km maintenance made in their service(spormoto in Ankara also they are quality and good too),but who made the motorcycle maintenance while quarantie have 14 months more with another non KTM motorcycle service that dont have ktm knowledge,something is wrong about something :( but maybe the problem is stock of Spare parts that we need.they dont have the parts I think.and they are trying to do it with motorcycle quarantie procedure with Austuralia and Austuralia still dont say okey .in Turkey these kind of procedures are very difficult,I dont know how much time will repair be?1 months maybe 2 months ,its very bad for me also for a ktm motorcycle user,I dont know what will happen but I will keep posting.

#20 ·
Hi brothers,i m still waiting for ktm to repair but still they cant find the parts ,it take 3 months and still no progress,i call and talked with ktm, ktm cant produce the part for now(i dont know why they are selling but no part stock its soo interesting)but they were looking for orher producers to make same of two parts,i m on to freakout,tomorrow i will say to ktm and will sat to return money,its unacceptable take 3 months and still nothing.what do you think brothers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.