2014 Duke 690 IV Mods: PC5 Tuning - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

2014 Duke 690 IV Mods: PC5 Tuning

I've had some tuning discussions in other threads, but I figured I would make a stand alone thread to make it easier for researching people to find current info. I've been searching on this forum and other forums and there is a lot of old and mistaken info out there. I've added links to stuff I'm referring to.

I recently installed the KTM performance cam, KTM hole-y airbox, Fresco decat, and soon will be installing the Yoshi R-77 and both DNA internal and cover filters. Much more air moving in and out of the engine so tuning is a must.

So I take my happy self and bike to the KTM dealer after the cam install for the famed Akra/EVO map. They don't have it or a way to load it. So I did some searching and at first I thought I was totally screwed because I found old threads before the Power Commander 5 was released. KTM keeps the Duke IV's ECU locked up tight, but the PC5 was introduced as a viable piggyback system.

Sounded great to me, but unlike better-supported sportbikes, etc like the 2009 R1 I owned there really aren't a bunch of maps you can just load up and fly with. Nice fellow Duke owners can give you their map, or you can use the 4 maps at the bottom of the DynoJet page (may be a good starting point, but more mods will require different settings than those maps probably have).

To do it yourself you can buy the extra Autotune for around $240 on Amazon, get a bung welded onto the exhaust my a local muffer shop for the wideband (larger than the stock O2), and DIY the tune for your location.

Autotune has the ease of doing it yourself (except for the bung welding part, $30 or so) and the ~$250 price point. It is nice if you don't have access to a competent dyno near you. The AT can adjust on the fly for atmospheric conditions and changing mods from time to time. Much more modular. But it takes a bit of a learning curve and may not yield the best HP. It is not plug and play, you will need to ride the bike and input where you want the fuel changed. It doesn't do that itself.

On the other hand the dyno tune is more expensive, but should give you the most HP and best powerband for your mods in particular. The downside of the dyno only (not using the Autotune) is you better be done with your mods when you get the tune, because you will have to get another tune if you change your setup. And atmospheric conditions change, they won't always be like the conditions in the dyno room.

The best of both worlds would be to get the PC5 and Autotune to adjust on the fly, then get it dyno tuned for peak performance. That's if you want to best of the best, but the PC5 and the Autotune should yield great results by themselves as long as you are dilligent.
Al. likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 03-07-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

Long story short. Don't worry about changing the ignition timing. There is very little to be gained and a lot to loose. Most tuners don't touch it because of this.

The Dynojet stuff only makes adjustments to the open loop section of the fuel map. That is at large throttle openings and above 5000 rpm. Unless you have a way to disable the closed loop section the only solution is to use a cheater, like Kev's O2 mod.
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

At first I was pissed about the extra little bit I'd gain from timing, but at this point I just want it to work for the best bang for my buck. Miffs me I will be missing out on a bit of performance without the Akra, but most of all I want the engine to be 'happy', not fuel starved or otherwise. I drove my GTO before tuning after I dug into the engine and it was a completely different animal after the tune. Amazing difference and better than I would have been able to do myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeRider View Post
Long story short. Don't worry about changing the ignition timing. There is very little to be gained and a lot to loose. Most tuners don't touch it because of this.

The Dynojet stuff only makes adjustments to the open loop section of the fuel map. That is at large throttle openings and above 5000 rpm. Unless you have a way to disable the closed loop section the only solution is to use a cheater, like Kev's O2 mod.
Looks like I have more research, mainly been looking at the AT vs dynoing at this point.
I like the idea of the O2 mod for the closed loop, but how does it work with the wideband, does it still read off the stock O2..I thought you were supposed to remove that if you went with the Autotuner?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to get it right.

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 02-10-2016 at 01:41 PM.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure but I think Dynojet has a "cheater" that plugs into the stock O2 sensor cable fooling the computer into thinking the stock sensor is still there.
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I believe the PC5 does have a cheater plug. I sent Kev a PM, but I'm still confused if the O2 mod works in conjunction with the PC5.

I love the idea of having the O2 mod for the closed loop and the PC5/Autotune for the open loop. Makes a great combo, I just want to make sure they are compatible. His thread and mods were made long before the PC5 was available.

You are supposed to weld on a bung (usually below the O2's hole) for the Autotuner's wideband sensor. At that point they say you can remove the stock O2 and plug the hole, it isn't needed.

My main question is, will the O2 controller work and still read the stock O2 with the PC5/Autotune installed?

post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Why are you not able to get the AKra map? I live in California and no shop will even touch the exhaust on my bike let alone load a "racing" map for me. I took the ECU out and shipped it to my neighboring state Neveda and they loaded the map for me. You might want to call around to see who can do that for you.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoTM View Post
Why are you not able to get the AKra map? I took the ECU out and shipped it to my neighboring state Neveda and they loaded the map for me.
I didn't know that was possible. I already purchased the PC5 and after more research I've been convinced the Akra map isn't the end all be all I thought it was before I began modding. While it does have the ignition settings I'd like to start with it still leaves the bike leaner than I'd like. I'll check around though and see if anyone would do it, and how much it would cost me.

post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

What makes you think the ignition map on the Akra map is any different from stock? Where is this info available? Curious minds need to know.
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Not that I have had much luck with my research being true or false, BUT from people on this forum with seemingly good knowledge have been saying the Akra map has ignition timing changes.

Which makes sense since the KTM stock map selector on the Duke has changes in ignition from one map to the other. It isn't hard to assume (at the peril of making an *** of you and me haha) that the Akra map would have even further tuning adjustments.

I am not necessarily so interested in the Akra map that much anymore though, kinda in my hole and digging past it at this point. Mostly want to know if the Kevs O2 mod will work in conjunction with the PC5 wideband setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode