Duke 4 complete airbox delete project, success! - Page 24 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:33 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Yeah Cob Im just going off the visual from the dyno chart so it is a lot different to the seat of the pants dyno. I guess what concerned me was the torque curve mirroring the power curve and being less than standard under 5500. The perfect world would have increase in torque over standard up until 5500 and then the power cut in but hey we are talking 65 ish hp afterall. Road riding would highlight the benefits of the changes more I guess as the throttle usage is more varied and through the rev range.

IF YOU FLY JETS LONG ENOUGH , THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENS

Current bikes:
690 Duke race bike
748 Ducati race bike

Previous bikes:
Triumph Bonneville cafe custom
1098S Ducati
749 Ducati
748 Ducati
Triumph Daytona 955
Triumph Daytona 600 race bike
Kawasaki ZX7/ZXR750
A couple of dirties too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysaab View Post
I've ridden mine on the street and track and it works quite well.
Plus, I currently have the throttle mapping on the mildest setting and the throttle response is still immediate, no lag at all.

I also use the rear section of the modified air box for extra storage. Tool kit, plus a few extras, fit in a marine type storage bag, secured with small bungees.

This is absolutely gorgeous flysaab. Any additional info as to the steps you took or the process? How are you liking how it runs?
post #233 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:07 AM
KTM Forums Team Racer

As I have explained on a few other threads, after some shipping damage I ended up with 2 air boxes. I took a cut-off wheel and Dreml tool to the damaged one which resulted in
the 2 mostly symmetric holes. Found some orange vac tubing on Ebay, split it and secured with weather strip adhesive. I just cut back the stock rubber snorkle and used a small piece
of 2" tubing to mate it to the K&N pod filter. Safety wired it all to prevent an MIA situation.

I am very pleased with the result as I am running a PC5 with Autotune. I have tracked it multiple times and it pulls great coming out of corners and, depending on gearing, will
top out at a bit over 120 mph (195 kph). As we all know, Dukes are hard to beat under braking, so the combination does surprise a lot of people. And I'm an old guy, would have given
my left nut for one of these 20-30 years ago. Would have been very competitive in the Supermono classes.

post #234 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks flysaab, i appreciate your response!

I've been thinking about this more and I think I will pursue a similar solution, but that I will also 3D print a cover (kind of like the cover on the right side) so that I can fill the box back in and make it covered when desired (rain or needing to keep it covered for any reason). I plan on leaving most of the airbox structure in place I think. I'm not thrilled about needing to trim down the stock velocity stack, but will if need be. Once it stops raining a bit, I'll try and break into the airbox a bit and get a feel for exactly how I'll approach mating the stock velocity stack with a pod filter.
post #235 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 PM

Pretty bummed...I had ordered a spare airbox to hack up like flysaab, but it arrived really damaged with black tape on it (to cover up marks? not sure) and a puncture and no cover. I started the ebay return process and will wait to order a new one till the return on this one goes through. I had really wanted to start working on it, so quite frustrated at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode