Duke 4 complete airbox delete project, success! - Page 3 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Enlightened
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchan View Post
Top post!

dunno 'bout the Volvo though...
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - couriers in Sydney used to say be alert of drivers if they are: 1. wearing a hat, 2. smoking a pipe, 3. have noticeably large ears, 4. driving a volvo.

I hit the jackpot one afternoon heading North on the Cahill. Ol'mate had all 4 happening at once. Veered right across 3 lanes, very nearly taking me with him, because he nearly missed the Military Road exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690arrr View Post
It's literally hard to explain how good they are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysaab View Post
I've ridden mine on the street and track and it works quite well.
Plus, I currently have the throttle mapping on the mildest setting and the throttle response is still immediate, no lag at all.

I also use the rear section of the modified air box for extra storage. Tool kit, plus a few extras, fit in a marine type storage bag, secured with small bungees.

That looks amazing! On top of it a $37 filter and some elbow grease is definitely more friendly on the wallet than either the modded air box or the DNA set up. I think my only fear would be getting stuck out in an unexpected bit of rain.

Are you running the Akra map fly? Is she running lean at all? What did you use as trim? Is it just orange hose sliced down the middle?
post #23 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member

Long-time driver of a tuned Volvo 240 wagon here. And early water-cooled VW Rabbits. Even put a Volvo motor in a VW Vanagon.
Left-handed.
Lifelong goalkeeper (only guy on the pitch in a different Jersey with special gloves.)

Maybe we should further hijack this thread and start posting Meyers-Briggs personality test results. I'm sure there would be some interesting correlations between personality and people who choose a bike like the Duke.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Zeekster likes this.

post #24 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:16 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifa View Post
That looks amazing! On top of it a $37 filter and some elbow grease is definitely more friendly on the wallet than either the modded air box or the DNA set up. I think my only fear would be getting stuck out in an unexpected bit of rain.

Are you running the Akra map fly? Is she running lean at all? What did you use as trim? Is it just orange hose sliced down the middle?
Have the cam and running Akra map. Plugs a nice light brown, so fueling just about right, as far as I can tell. I have PC5 and Autotune to keep things in line.

The trim is just some orange vac tubing I found on E-bay. Sliced and attached with some weatherstrip adhesive. Hasn't gone MIA yet.

When I bought my cam, I ended up with an extra air box, so I thought I would experiment. After some time with a cut-off wheel
and Dreml tool, it ended up looking like that. I figured I could always go back, but it seems to work fine and it gets people asking questions.

And Boldor, don't go dissin the Volvo drivers. I used to own a shop that specialized in Saab and Volvo repair. Made lots of American dollars off of those guys in the hats and pipes and beards. Fiercely loyal to the marques and wouldn't let them die.

Mine was a modded V70R, patterned after the 850 wagons they used to run in the British Touring Car Series. Actually a fairly fast car and
great fun in the winter with 4 snow tires.

Odd, but true....
post #25 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Enlightened
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Maybe we should further hijack this thread and start posting Meyers-Briggs personality test results. I'm sure there would be some interesting correlations between personality and people who choose a bike like the Duke.

I am sure you are correct. But you've missed the point too.

The bizarre thing is that Volvo Cosmos and Duke Cosmos are mutually exclusive. You just bent some time-space continuum by claiming to exist in two places at once.

I fear the consequences.
DAPerDan likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690arrr View Post
It's literally hard to explain how good they are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member

I got it; don't accept it.

The irrefutable fact is, the Volvo 240 has one of the best, if not the best, passenger car motors ever made. Solid cast iron block. Over-engineered to the tits. Routinely sees 500,000 miles, some see a million. It's an incredible foundation for tuning for insane power.

But, yeah, it's a lonely road existing in the interstitial spaces, not following the herd and it's superficial categories. Real men wear pink.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."
-Good ol' Walt Whitman

post #27 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for how to get the triple tree bearing retainer nut off, the round disc with two holes on the top and many holes all around the outer ring face? Is there a special tool?

post #28 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member

Nevermind, I'll just make a spanner out of a Citroen exhaust pipe.

post #29 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
On another note, does anyone have suggestions for how to get the triple tree bearing retainer nut off, the round disc with two holes on the top and many holes all around the outer ring face? Is there a special tool?

I believe it's a 'peg spanner' however we used a drill bit using the rounded end. It's only 25Nm so not exactly tight.
post #30 of 235 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member

Ah, Weeksy, that helps very much, to know it isn't too tight. Means I can make up a tool pretty easy. Thank you much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode