Do all 690 riders like to harass 1290 owners? -VIDEO- - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 38Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Location: Utah / Arizona Border on Lake Powell, United States
Unhappy Do all 690 riders like to harass 1290 owners? -VIDEO-

*EDITED: Video link added at bottom of post. Sorry, I am new to all this motorcycle forum stuff.

I am just curious if anyone knows this guy. Seems like he would be a member here.

While out riding my recently purchased 1290R in a SoCal Canyon, this long haired guy in a big black leather jacket catches up to me, and starts punking me. Sticking his wheel up the inside when I slow for the Apex, then exiting the corners on the outside of me doing crossed up wheelies while staring me down mid-wheelie. I get down the the residential area and before I can turn my GoPro on, he starts verbally harassing me, calling me a big Puxxy for owning such a machine and not knowing how to ride it. I tried to explain that it was a new bike to me, and that I was just trying to practice up before taking my motorcycle permit test, as I was told the 1290R SuperDuke was the all around best motorcycle of the last few years. What better a machine to start out on, after stepping up from my Zuma Sports Scooter, right?

Well, this guy with the long hair and mad skills on his KTM 690 Duke, with a obviously modified exhaust, big rear sprocket and Rainbow Heat cooked brake rotors backed it in next to me at the next stop sign and asked if I 'wanted to have a go' or something like that. I then saw his shagged out tires, feathered to the edges adn turning all greasy, something I never read that Metzeler had a problem with before (?) So it had to be his stoppies, and flat tracker super aggressive riding style, as I doubt it was a defective set of tires, as they are made in Germany.

I tried to avoid him by riding up onto the freeway, and while snicking through the gears and looking over my shoulder at what is already coming down the freeway, being a little cautious because I am afraid of the CHP Special Enforcement Activities in SoCal on weekends, and to be honest, because I've never gone over 55 indicated on this 1290 before, this guy enters the freeway behind me, two lanes over, and pulls a full on 3 gear crossed up wheelie, before setting it down right behind me as he gives me a epic high speed fly-by. I mean, this "Super Duke R" sure can't do that (I've tried) and I was barely able to catch up to him. Just in time to have him flash some strange hand signals at me, then speed away.

Are all 690's and their riders like this, or did I just buy the wrong bike?

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/oVtDurDnU2s

Last edited by Brakelate; 04-18-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:10 AM
What the curtains?

Welcome to the forum.

I think the guy just has issues. He may have
forgotten to take his lithium that morning.

I've got the the stink eye from biker gang types, but
never from a tool on a bike like that. Jealous maybe?

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

If somebody i didn't know rode up to with in 1 foot of my bars at highway speeds i would be a little confused too. It looked like he was saying " what. move over " with his left hand. Lane sharing is illegal in NJ and this guy wasn't thrilled with it either judging by his gestures.
But nice SDR anyway. Brave move getting one as a first bike. keep the camera rolling...

He was a little close on the ramp too. Maybe feeling a little jealous of the SDR, so he buzzed you. But than you reeled him in like the fast forward button and he probably felt a little stupid.

Last edited by newjerseyduke; 04-14-2016 at 08:28 AM.

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Do all 690 riders like to harass 1290 owners? -VIDEO-

Yep. For sure. All us 690 riders are just like that. When you buy one you have to sign a paper saying so.

When you bought your 1290 you did sign the paper swearing to ride it like a pussy didn't you?

You wouldn't believe the document you have to sign to buy a RC390!

post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

every time i start my 690 i think to myself... just a mellow cruise around town today, not gonna be a total douche bag today. Wrong. its a sickness.
DukeRider, C. Dolan and McGurt811 like this.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 AM

has to be a troll thread
Brakelate, KTardM, Tetge and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:17 PM

Lane sharing is not illegal in California. And, since I live in SoCal, I have naturally heard of Brakelate. My suggestion is to take anything that Brakelate posts as embellished and potentially fictional. He is a legend on local canyon runs and at the local kart tracks and race tracks with his various potent supermotos, and he is also a California Highway Patrol certified motorcycle training instructor (which is no trivial certification) as well as an instructor of cage driving at historic Willow Springs Raceway. A quick search will find videos of him racing his KTM supermoto at Willow Springs, and winning drag races at NHRA drag strips on his various big Kawasaki's and his Hayabusa. There are also videos of his cage antics, which include running at road race circuits and drag strips. And, a quick search of his youtube channel will show his current fleet of four street motorcycles, which include the 1290R and a BMW K1300S.

Some appreciate the humor, so I hope that he doesn't get banned again as it is all in fun. I had to edit this and add a grainy pic of Brakelate at Adam's Kart Track in SoCal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakelate_1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	42913  

Last edited by Tetge; 04-14-2016 at 01:56 PM.
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up If I want to see a troll, I watch 'Deadliest Catch'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeRider View Post
Yep. For sure. All us 690 riders are just like that. When you buy one you have to sign a paper saying so.

When you bought your 1290 you did sign the paper swearing to ride it like a pussy didn't you?
I was wondering why there was more paperwork involved in the purchase of this bike, than my last three houses combined! And, you know how that goes, once you sign the first or two pages, you just start initialing stuff... I saw a couple of things saying I would pay for it, and that I would supply my own insurance, and all that 'normal' stuff. But then they handed me this big strange nylon document bag, all full of stuff saying I WOULD ride it like a Pussy, and never, ever turn off it's Nannies or modify it in any way, or even fit not OEM tires, like slicks and stuff (which is the first thing I usually do with the purchase of a new scooter).

But, I thought it was all this KTM 'hype' like 'Ready to Race' and all that... I had no idea this **** was for real, and anyone out there who also happens to be riding a KTM is living every ride around the block like it is "GAME ON"!

Thanks for helping clarify this for me. Had I known the 690 crowd was so rowdy, I might have considered a Victory Tourer or something like that. Holy ****... I sure hope I DO NOT come across any 390 riders - they must just REALLY get nuts!

I also thought it was cool that Tetge stepped up and identified himself. Him filling my PM Box with 'Adult Toy' Ads and making statements like "Sell that Pig and buy a real bike... something with half the displacement, like a real man". But, I thought that was like dating a person with no genitals, as you can only go so far in a relationship, mechanical or otherwise, before the time comes you want to "take it to the next level" , if you know what I mean. I guess I better stick to my Zuma Scooter. At least then I can get across town, and all the Lovin I want, without any of these conflicts or unwanted attention.
Alhamid likes this.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 PM

I thought the 1290 was out of line.

The 690 gassed it up the on ramp past a slower bike which I see no problem with.

Then the 1290 guys seems to get all ansty as he was passed by the little 690 and proceeds to ride up right against the 690 at which I am surprised the 690 rider doesn't kick the dickhead out of his personal space.

Afterwards the 1290 seems to antagonise him by riding up and back beside him.

I just don't get it?

Why doesn't one of them just put it on one wheel and actually do something or was this the most exciting thing to have happened during their riding career that was you tube worthy?

God there should be a "don't watch this vid or you will lose time you can never get back" warning on all vids!

EDIT:

after re-reading the first two paragraphs I now realise the 690 rider should have just kicked him off the road and been done with it as anyone who would post those paragraphs certaintly is not a KTM rider...more likely a honda rider at a guess.
RC8 and scrub runner like this.

Last edited by 690arrr; 04-14-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: sooky posting
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation **see attahed warning**

DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO! IT IS TIME SPENT THAT YOU WILL NEVER GET BACK!

Hmmm. Perhaps I should have included that in the first post?

But that surely would have identified me immediately as the Squidly Vintage Honda Rider that I am. Actually, I don't even ride the Honda, I just sit around and wax and polish it.

They really should change the KTM Motto and stickers all over those bikes to say "READY TO MACE"!

F-ing Hooligans, the whole lot of 'em. The smaller the displacement, the larger the Anti-Social tendencies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode