KTM Forums banner

2016 Duke warped fuel tank top. leaks when sloshed.

83K views 274 replies 61 participants last post by  Moto909 
#1 ·
So I smelt fuel the last couple of times that i filled the bike up and when riding. So i investigated what i thought may be a leak on the pressure side of the system but i found something else.

The top of the tank is pretty warped and also the gasket between the breather on top of the tank and the tank has expanded like its not able to handle the fuel.

Time to call the dealer tomorrow. I would post pictures but my count isn't high enough. Anyone know what the minimum is?

Also this is my first LC4 bike. when I start it I get a couple of seconds of what sounds like valve noise that's very noticeable, is this the autodecompression? Or should that be gone by the time the bike gets to idle rpm? Are the hydraulic cam chain tensioners still an issue? I know it used to be.

#6 ·
Orly?
Thats the plan. Just making what could be an issue on others bikes known.

I cant post a picture due to my post cont (anyone know the limit as to when you can?)

So now that i have answered stuff that i stated in my original post that some didnt really read well...

The opening of the tank where the breather goes onto is very uneven and wavy, which is causing a leak between the breather assembly and the tank itself. I took all the plastics off and inspected it. The fuel is not coming out of the filler neck but between the tank and the breather itself. i can slosh the tank and have fuel come splashing out.

Ill post pictures as soon as i hit the minimum post level whatever that is. Called the nearest dealer and sent pictures and they are getting in contact with KTM.

#5 ·
I thought that I had a leaking fuel tank but then, after freaking out an examining it in detail, I finally realized that I had to be really careful when filling it as if fuel spilled into the ring around the opening it was not draining and it blew out all over the place when I started to ride off. Now I have become very careful when filling the bike and there are no more issues with fuel drenching me. I also do not try to fill to the absolute brim as I get good fuel mileage so it has decent range.

However, you say that it sloshes out, and that you see evidence of a deformed gasket, so that sounds like a different issue. I only mention what happened to me because it reeked of fuel and also got fuel all over me a couple of times. It turns out that a little overflowed fuel goes a long ways.

#8 ·
That looks pretty bad! Plastic tanks warp due to ethanol in the fuel. Anyway it's not a common problem with the Duke 690. I don't think there's been any issues reported here about tank deformation. Maybe your Duke is a Friday special. The 2016 have an updated engine compared to the 2012-2015 models so not a lot of info on issues with that yet.

#10 ·
Rob's Performance in Johnson Creek, Wi has been a pleasure to deal with. They will be picking the bike up for me and confirmed that KTM NA has the tank in stock and they can have it tomorrow or Monday to make the repair. I have been very impressed with my dealer support so far especially because i did not purchase the bike from there. This is how a dealer network should work.

Ill check back in when i have more.

#11 ·
Same issue here.

Hi Guys, I too have the same issue with my 2016 690 duke. The 2016 has a new tank design, and the area that the gas cap attaches to is thin and flexible. I'm curious how this issue will be resolved. If the new tank is of the same design as the original, it's going to leak again. Fcssteve 777, please keep us posted as to what the dealer says and does. I'm curious how this issue will be resolved. Thanks Guys

#17 ·
2016 690 Duke R Owner here.

I too have the wavy fuel tank. Took it apart last night after reading this thread and having a strong smell of petrol for a while. I've emailed photos to the dealer and talked to them today. They are going to take it up with KTM and advise me what the course of action will be...I assume a new tank. I'm surprised KTM hasn't had a recall for this given the nature of the problem and the potential of the bike going up in flames while riding it!

I've also got a problem with the dash, lines of dead pixels. That issues been with KTM for nearly 4 months now. Assume they are tweaking the design before issuing new ones to combat the problem from re-occurring. Something I'm sure they are going to have to do with the fuel tank.

For info, mines an early R model, pre-ordered and delivered Feb. Not sure how much, if anything, had been changed on the later versions.

#19 ·
I have a feeling mine might be suffering from this same problem. I smell gas pretty freqently, especially when above 3/4 tank. How do I get down to this part?

I only had a few minutes last night to look at it and I got the filler door off but couldn't figure out how to take the plastic ring out. I'm guessing I need to take the side pieces off the tank and maybe unbolt part of the tank.

#22 ·
I also occasionally smell gas but only when the tank is very full and I never see it leaking. What exactly is being replaced by the dealer to fix this. I should probably get it corrected if the fix is more than just replacing with the same parts and hoping the new one doesn't have the same problem.

#23 ·
Update. Two week back order for the new fuel tank.

Mine 690 always smelt like fuel from new. A quick test to see if it's leaking.
With the key turned off, you off the bike and on level ground lean the bike as far as you can left, (with you on the left) and right( while standing on the right) with a full tank. Shake that sucker! If gas comes out you have the warped tank.

#33 ·
Can someone roughly describe what is required to get down to the warped part of the tank? I think I'm having this issue too and I've been meaning to look at it further.

I tried last weekend, but I didn't have a lot of time and only got the fuel door off before stopping and deciding to do it later because it wasn't as obvious as I was hoping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.