KTM Forums banner

2016 Duke warped fuel tank top. leaks when sloshed.

83K views 274 replies 61 participants last post by  Moto909 
#1 ·
So I smelt fuel the last couple of times that i filled the bike up and when riding. So i investigated what i thought may be a leak on the pressure side of the system but i found something else.

The top of the tank is pretty warped and also the gasket between the breather on top of the tank and the tank has expanded like its not able to handle the fuel.

Time to call the dealer tomorrow. I would post pictures but my count isn't high enough. Anyone know what the minimum is?

Also this is my first LC4 bike. when I start it I get a couple of seconds of what sounds like valve noise that's very noticeable, is this the autodecompression? Or should that be gone by the time the bike gets to idle rpm? Are the hydraulic cam chain tensioners still an issue? I know it used to be.

#36 ·
Picked up a brand new 2017 yesterday, and it's leaky fuel out of the seal around the fuel cap every time i ride. Add me to the list.

Luckily (ish) I haven't even got me plates yet, so I was going to have to go back to the dealer in the next couple days anyways.

#39 ·
. Just took mine to the dealer and they said they have had FOUR 2017 dukes that have come in in the last TWO DAYS with this problem.

They said they're expecting a recal and will be holding onto my bike indefinitely.... Which poses a problem as its my only method of transportation.

Not what I'd expected for a bike I've owned for 3 days.

#43 ·
I finally dug into my bike to check the tank after getting sick of my garage smelling like gas. Sure enough, I found a warped tank.

Called the dealer and they told me to put it back together and bring it in immediately without asking too many questions. Turns out he had another bike there with the same problem. They told me I'll get the back back in 10 - 15 days if parts are available. If there is a huge demand globally for new tanks and KTM can't meet it, it may be months until I get it back. The manager said he's had 4 calls about this in the last 2 weeks. I've had my bike since July and I had to search everywhere in Calfornia for a 690 Duke. I think they are finally available on show rooms around here so this problem is showing itself more. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a HUGE problem.

Now my commute to work will take 1.5 hours instead of 25 minutes until it's fixed.:thumbdown:
They also said they can't give the bike back until the fuel leak is fixed.

#44 ·
I finally dug into my bike to check the tank after getting sick of my garage smelling like gas. Sure enough, I found a warped tank.

Called the dealer and they told me to put it back together and bring it in immediately without asking too many questions. Turns out he had another bike there with the same problem. They told me I'll get the back back in 10 - 15 days if parts are available. If there is a huge demand globally for new tanks and KTM can't meet it, it may be months until I get it back. The manager said he's had 4 calls about this in the last 2 weeks. I've had my bike since July and I had to search everywhere in Calfornia for a 690 Duke. I think they are finally available on show rooms around here so this problem is showing itself more. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a HUGE problem.

Now my commute to work will take 1.5 hours instead of 25 minutes until it's fixed.

They also said they can't give the bike back until the fuel leak is fixed.
I hear you on the commute. Bike is my only method of transportation so I'm stearing down some big Uber bills.

Your story sounds very familiar to what I heard. You wouldn't be dealing with the Motor Cafe would you?

#45 ·
At least your dealer acknowledged and is aware of the widespread problem. When I called mine and told them they were writing it off as a gasket issue. I'm not really looking dropping it off and leaving the bike at the dealer while they wait for a tank to come in. Hopefully this gets a recall.

#48 ·
I went on a "spirited" (I was with a guy riding a 1l Duc Monster my other buddy has a brand new BMW 1000srxrsexrxex or what ever that thing is called) hundred mile ride with my 2014 Duke 690 and I noticed gasoline right around the filler neck. I will have to take that thing off to inspect.....

#49 ·
Those damn gas tanks. They changed mine 3 times and it still smells like gas. I decided to 1) not fill it up to high and 2) wait for the recall notice to arrive. They replace it with the same style gas tank and it will leak again. KTM and I got really into this matter and they sent the KTM tech from Ohio to change the tank the second time and another local KTM tech to change it the third time. With all that headache KTM decided to give me $2K credit for powerparts and powerwear. That was really nice of them, but I went through hell and missed a few track days and the such. Good luck with that tank! I personally think it will leak again until they change the tank design.

#51 · (Edited)
Verrrrry Interestink.... good for you for hanging tough.

It will be revealing to see if KTM posts a recall. After going thru several phone calls trying to convince KTM and the local dealer my auto-decompressor problem was real (and destroying a starter in the process), I was not impressed at all with KTM's concept of customer service, and neither were several KTM dealers I talked to. The local dealer comped me $200 worth of accessories, and several weeks after the fact, the local parts guy called to tell me KTM... MIGHT... comp me a free oil change.

Maybe KTM are learning that street bike customers are a different bunch, with higher expectations of reliability than motocross and enduro bike customers.

So far, my impression is good bike, not so good organization and customer service philosophy.

#85 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 and it has the same problem. Hard acceleration or any wheelie will dump fuel from around the filler.

I'm guessing that part of the problem is the fact that three of the six mounting screws are just for appearance. They do nothing to hold the filler cap on. The gaps between the screws are ~120 degrees, and that leaves a lot of un-clamped flange

Barring a recall, I think the proper fix would be to add a reinforcement backer plate and replace the factory nut inserts with six closed end rivet nuts. The backer plate would need to be segmented to fit through the hole, and would need sealing with Pro-Seal 890 (expensive aircraft stuff) or maybe Permatex Permashield. This fix would also require cutting three additional holes in the gasket, and maybe a small mod to the cap itself to use real screws where the fake ones go.

Meanwhile.... I pulled the cap & filler flange yesterday and I reassembled it with fuel resistant sealer on both sides of the gasket. I'm going to let it sit for a week while I'm out of town. This is a hack at best.

#56 ·
I checked in with the local dealer and they said a new tank is on back order until the end of March. He also said he has 4 bikes in there currently with the same problem so he's assuming it is a much larger scale problem and hoping KTM will take notice and take action to ramp up manufacturing or come up with a solution. I'm not that much of a optimist but I am patient. I can be an unhappy patient person, but I'm patient.

#59 ·
It will be interesting to see how KTM deals with this.

Could it be a temperature problem? Does it happen more in cold or hot climates? Obviously, a gas tank that is only partially full will under go more rapid temperature changes than one that is completely or mostly full.

I try to run non-ethanol all the time. The local Stihl (almost an Austrian company) dealer claims they have a lot of problems with fuel lines, and in my case Stihl gas filters due to other chemicals used in American gasoline, but not from ethanol.

So, at least some of the Teutons may be aware of the problem.

#60 ·
I suspect it's ethanol working into the plastics. Common problem with a number of manufactures. Often with the Aprilia and Ducati tanks if you open them up and let them dry out they will return to original shape. I use only non-ethanol fuel in my bikes with the plastic tanks.

#62 · (Edited)
File a Report with NHTSA

For those of you in the United States who have had this problem, please file a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as this will increase the chances of KTM issuing a formal recall. You can fill the form out online: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ . Just picked up my 2016 and, unfortunately, I fear it has this problem.

#69 ·
For those of you in the United States who have had this problem, please file a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as this will increase the chances of KTM issuing a formal recall. You can fill the form out online: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ .
I strongly 2nd this statement if you are in the USA. There are 3 reports currently listed on the site and KTM is being forced to formally respond. I just had a rep from KTM call me specifically because of the NHTSA vehicle report and this on top of the calls from a KTM NA customer service rep after reaching out to their general line.

This issue is being noticed and I hope it is addressed with every bike (possibly recall?) before someone gets hurt. Fuel leaks are extremely dangerous.

#66 ·
It looks like my new 2017 KTM 690 Duke R (just over 200km on the clock) has the same warped tank problem. It's been smelling of fuel in the garage around my bike, so I popped off the plastic cover around the ignition lock to check for evidence of the warped tank problem. I found some streaks of fuel from coming from the filler cap, running forward towards the steering headset. Photo attached.

We don't have ethanol in the fuel where I live (South Africa) AFAIK, so I don't think it's ethanol-related.

Attachments

#68 ·
I'm in Japan and my new 2016 690 Duke R has the same issue. No ethanol in the gas here. Bike goes to the dealer this Thursday. He said there is a new packing to fix the sealing as long as it's not too warped. We will see.

#71 ·
Well, I took the bike to my dealer. He replaced the rubber gasket. He said he could now see the uneven tank mating surface and will report it to KTM Japan which will let KTM HQ know about this issue. He seems to think it will not leak for awhile but cannot be sure it won't start up again. If it leaks again, he will request a new tank from KTM.

We will see. I'll report back later f anything changes.

#72 ·
I thought that I was finished with getting sprayed with gasoline after fueling up my 2015 Duke, but, it was 75* today, which is one of the first good riding days of the year, so I aired up the tires and took a ride about. I found that I was really happy to be on the bike, even after the 15/42 gearing (Boldor's fault) yanked the front wheel off the ground when I was feeling exuberant and made a quick hard 1->2 up shift. I realize that many would have enjoyed that, but, I am not into riding with a wheel in the air so I clicked off. But, after a winter of sitting, the bike started right up and I had forgotten how quick it was and how well it handled. Although with the 15/42 it hits the rev limiter at 112 mph in top gear, I find that in the real world with traffic and police, the 690 has more than sufficient power to get a person arrested, and it is nice and light and easy to ride.

Anyway, toward the end of my ride, I stopped for some fresh fuel, and I was very careful not to spill any fuel into the ring around the filler, and I did not over fill the tank, as I decided that was why my bike had sprayed fuel on me in the past. This approach seemed to work before winter, but, this time after I left the station and got up some speed, I got spritzed with gasoline and it even came in through the front vent in my Shoei and I felt it hit my face. It also got on my clothes, but, my enemies were not around, so no one threw a match on me. When I got home a couple of minutes later, I looked to see if I could determine the source of the gasoline and I failed, but it could be the rubber gasket, as it looks OK, but it is thin, and it could have dried out as it sat for months, so it might not be making a good seal. I have inspected the tank numerous times, and I can see no leak. And, of course, the 2015 only had a 12 month warranty, which expired long ago, so, unless a recall happens, I am on my own.

I may have been able to get a new gasket as I also dropped by the local KTM dealer where I purchased the bike with my recall letter about the possible fire and brake loss. The recall cover 2012-2016 690 Dukes, but, the dealership acted all confused and said that they would check and call me about it. Lucky that I took my letter with me since the service writer said that when they called they would tell me how much the recall fix was going to cost me. I had to straighten him out on that, but, one wonders at such behavior. But, I guess I am lucky to have a near by KTM dealer at all.

Anyway, the bike is a blast to ride, and it was not spraying me with fuel last year when I parked it, and, in fact, I wager that it is finished spraying me with gasoline, at least until the next time I fuel up. Still, it is annoying. I should add that the bike never reeks or smells of fuel when garaged, which makes it even more mysterious. But, even though I took a shower and scrubbed my face and arms with Brillo pads, I still have a lingering gasoline odor about me, and I hate the smell of gasoline, even when it is full of alcohol (I live in California, home of poor quality gasoline).

I will ask the mechanic at the dealership about it if and when they call back and I get the warranty work done, as they might remove the tank to do the work so they could look for loose vent hoses or leaks or whatever, if they were willing. But, I will not pay the dealership to work on the bike as they charge too much and who knows how competent the current mechanic of the hour is.

#74 ·
Just got a surprise call from the dealer after 3 weeks of no new information. My bike is done and ready to pick up. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe the calls I got from KTM North America were a clue that my NHTSA report made them take action quickly. I don't have my helmet with me today so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to pick it up and report back.

#75 ·
Chalk up another warped gas tank. Couldn't figure out why every time the front wheel came up my right leg got doused in fuel. Pulled the covers and boom, definitely warped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.