2016 Duke warped fuel tank top. leaks when sloshed. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

2016 Duke warped fuel tank top. leaks when sloshed.

So I smelt fuel the last couple of times that i filled the bike up and when riding. So i investigated what i thought may be a leak on the pressure side of the system but i found something else.

The top of the tank is pretty warped and also the gasket between the breather on top of the tank and the tank has expanded like its not able to handle the fuel.

Time to call the dealer tomorrow. I would post pictures but my count isn't high enough. Anyone know what the minimum is?

Also this is my first LC4 bike. when I start it I get a couple of seconds of what sounds like valve noise that's very noticeable, is this the autodecompression? Or should that be gone by the time the bike gets to idle rpm? Are the hydraulic cam chain tensioners still an issue? I know it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:49 PM

Are you seeing a visible leak on the top of the tank fuel cap opening? Describe what you mean by the tank is warped- is it bulging on one side? I have had a few seconds of valve noise with other bikes but don't get my '16 until end on the month.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Mega Poster

Post a picture..

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Take it to the dealer
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:43 AM

I thought that I had a leaking fuel tank but then, after freaking out an examining it in detail, I finally realized that I had to be really careful when filling it as if fuel spilled into the ring around the opening it was not draining and it blew out all over the place when I started to ride off. Now I have become very careful when filling the bike and there are no more issues with fuel drenching me. I also do not try to fill to the absolute brim as I get good fuel mileage so it has decent range.

However, you say that it sloshes out, and that you see evidence of a deformed gasket, so that sounds like a different issue. I only mention what happened to me because it reeked of fuel and also got fuel all over me a couple of times. It turns out that a little overflowed fuel goes a long ways.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxb View Post
Take it to the dealer
Orly?
Thats the plan. Just making what could be an issue on others bikes known.

I cant post a picture due to my post cont (anyone know the limit as to when you can?)

So now that i have answered stuff that i stated in my original post that some didnt really read well...

The opening of the tank where the breather goes onto is very uneven and wavy, which is causing a leak between the breather assembly and the tank itself. I took all the plastics off and inspected it. The fuel is not coming out of the filler neck but between the tank and the breather itself. i can slosh the tank and have fuel come splashing out.

Ill post pictures as soon as i hit the minimum post level whatever that is. Called the nearest dealer and sent pictures and they are getting in contact with KTM.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Picture if it works..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_192116E.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	46946  
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

That looks pretty bad! Plastic tanks warp due to ethanol in the fuel. Anyway it's not a common problem with the Duke 690. I don't think there's been any issues reported here about tank deformation. Maybe your Duke is a Friday special. The 2016 have an updated engine compared to the 2012-2015 models so not a lot of info on issues with that yet.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxb View Post
That looks pretty bad! Plastic tanks warp due to ethanol in the fuel. Anyway it's not a common problem with the Duke 690. I don't think there's been any issues reported here about tank deformation. Maybe your Duke is a Friday special. The 2016 have an updated engine compared to the 2012-2015 models so not a lot of info on issues with that yet.
Yeah the new engine is why i drove 2.5 hours to another state to get a 16. the closer (an hour away) one couldn't get one.

It looks like a manufacturing defect in the tank to me. it hasn't seen any ethanol since the first tank.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Rob's Performance in Johnson Creek, Wi has been a pleasure to deal with. They will be picking the bike up for me and confirmed that KTM NA has the tank in stock and they can have it tomorrow or Monday to make the repair. I have been very impressed with my dealer support so far especially because i did not purchase the bike from there. This is how a dealer network should work.

Ill check back in when i have more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode