KTM Forums banner

690 Duke Recall

31K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  AaronsAlias 
#1 ·
Well I got my letter today,looks like she's going into the shop
Model years 2012-2016 690 Duke, contact between the wiring harness and ABS Modulator, an electrical circuit may be created between the ABS Modulator,the brake line and the Vehicle ground.
Recall number TI 11_177919

Reactions: deepskier
#14 · (Edited)
Yes..they need to verify the circlip the holds the bearing in place for the rear sprocket is seated correctly otherwise the rear sprocket will start chewing up your swing arm.

I suspect you are fine as those who had the issue didn't have the bike long before they noticed the issue.

Have the dealer check it anyway.

http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/86986-690-recall-circlip-rear-wheel.html#post635546

#15 ·
"Yes..they need to verify the circlip the holds the bearing in place for the rear sprocket is seated correctly otherwise the rear sprocket will start chewing up your swing arm. "
We have been running a super sprox almost since it was bought ( -1/+1) so I am guessing I would have picked it when I changed it. I have a thing about wheel bearings, especially when I had a TR650 and a BMW F800R recently, both of which had iffy bearings from new.

#20 ·
Spoke to the KTM dealer I use today and seems to be all the 12-16 dukes need to be done ... that's a lot of bikes. They seems to have the part needed, earthing straps in stock as they have had to do all there stock bikes also.

Had the tank off tonight and cant see any of the wiring harness that could rub on the abs module, only the main harness that's close so added a cable tie over the frame top to keep it away, just incase till I get it to the dealer at the beginning of summer.

Will get some pics up tomorrow if people need them, tho I'm after a picture of what a faulty one looks like if any one can find one?

#26 ·
Hey Matt lets see if Canberra Motorcycle Centre will give me a loaner for the EC race meeting

#29 ·
Booked in to Canberra Motorcycle Centre on Thursday will see if they let me in to the workshop to take pics

#34 ·
The service manager here is going to take pics of the job today for me. KTM have allowed 40 mins for it to be done although he reckons it should be less. Ill post when I get them.

#36 ·
The mechanic didnt take photos of the job, probably for legal reasons, its on their maintenance site but not the public site. Posted a list of the replaced parts from the job card. It is a simple re route and replacement of the ABS cable. The consensus is that if the short occurs the ABS fault light will appear but the brakes will still operate just not in ABS mode. This is not definite so dont hold me to account if stuff goes down. As there is no cost it is better to get it done properly. To my knowledge it is not one of those recalls that state " do not operate this vehicle until the recall is actioned" but still get it along to the dealer when you can.

Attachments

Reactions: deepskier
#38 ·
Yeah I know I would say they dont want to show how to do it in case some cowboy does it with lock wire and gaffer tape.

#39 ·
Read another article and it says it may result in total brake failure....

#40 ·
Got mine done, totally forgot to take photos cause i was chinwagging too much lol
But it's just an earth strap to the abs unit under the tank somewhere, hardly photogenic lol

Stinking hot and humid then, i was in the pool within minutes after riding home that day! Dunno how people ride in equatorial countries! Dripping wet no doubt!
:)

#44 ·
My vague understanding was the ABS earth strap was relocated so it did not wear against the wiring loom . May have been a longer strap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.