Everything was great...till it wasn't - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Everything was great...till it wasn't

I went on a two week trip over the Christmas holidays. When I left, my Duke was running awesome, better than it ever did stock. My mods are:

GPR midpipe + silencer
Airbox delete with pod filter
Kev's o2 sensor
My own custom version of Kev's fuel mod (he doesn't sell anymore)

Since I got back, my duke has been sputtering and surging like crazy. When lane splitting, as I go to gun it, it will just sputter out and slow down before kicking in and taking off (this is not a flat spot, giving throttle is actually slowing me down). It died at a stoplight on the way to school/work today and I had to wheel to the side of the road and try starting it probably 5 times before it would stay running. From stop signs, it was dying at 3-5k RPM's on the west of the way in, I was having to keep throttle on. I thought there was a chance rain had pooled in the exhaust pipe, so I gave it some full throttle twists to try blasting anything in there out.

I also did an oil change a day ago, but that doesn't seem to have affected anything. It was doing this before then and still is. Oil change was just done because it was time, not for any particular reason.

I know I should redo the 15 min idle (which I tried doing at work before getting some dirty looks from other people coming in. I might have to find an isolated area to let it run for 15 min somewhere later. I only got through about 10 this morning.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

2014 Duke 690 (Kev's O2 mod, My own fuel mod, decat, GPR Furore exhaust, hollowed airbox with pod filter)

2015 s1000r (Yoshi exhaust, yoshi engine guards, evotech levers, rizoma mirrors, CF front, rear, side fenders and headlight assembly, Sargent seat, AP rearsets, LED turn signals.

Last edited by brokenblinker; 01-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Knows all
KTM Forums Team Racer

In your signature it states "my own fuel mod"
I'd start by lookin at that ?
Sean_K likes this.

"What is happiness ?"
"it's when you dumb the clutch and BRAAAAAP"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it should be the same as Kev's, but I took a quick look. It still measures fine with a multimeter (5Kohm right now).

2014 Duke 690 (Kev's O2 mod, My own fuel mod, decat, GPR Furore exhaust, hollowed airbox with pod filter)

2015 s1000r (Yoshi exhaust, yoshi engine guards, evotech levers, rizoma mirrors, CF front, rear, side fenders and headlight assembly, Sargent seat, AP rearsets, LED turn signals.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Full Throttle

My ecu has done some strange things but the FI light came on everytime.
What else have you noticed?

current -2007 690SM
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Enlightened
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenblinker View Post
(this is not a flat spot, giving throttle is actually slowing me down)

Anyone have any other thoughts?
I would consider that classic symptoms of a flat spot. If the mixture is wrong, feeding MORE of it into the chamber will make the engine "run wronger".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690arrr View Post
It's literally hard to explain how good they are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldor View Post
I would consider that classic symptoms of a flat spot. If the mixture is wrong, feeding MORE of it into the chamber will make the engine "run wronger".
Sure, I feel ya, I just meant this isn't a standard torque flat spot - it definitely has a NEGATIVE slope. i.e. torque curve not plateauing, but actually going down.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenblinker View Post
Sure, I feel ya, I just meant this isn't a standard torque flat spot - it definitely has a NEGATIVE slope. i.e. torque curve not plateauing, but actually going down.
What model year is your Duke?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if the fuel pump could be going out. Year is 2014 as shown in sig.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Welp, so on the way home, it died again. I pushed to a gas station, refilled it, still couldn't get it started. Let it sit for a bit, tried again - and it caught! I let it idle for the full 15 min (16:07 this time according to my timer). It stalled once more on the way home, but was easily restarted this time. After that it seemed to run completely fine until I got home. Unsure what to make of it now. I think it rained a lot while I was gone, maybe the tank is a bit leaky and some water got into the fuel?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:35 PM

I was told by the PO of my bike that it sat outside. they couldn't figure out why it would sputter and stall. turned out the tank leaked and was replaced under warranty. everything was fine after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode