KTM Forums banner

Lots of smoke when stopped at lights

6K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Javahitman 
#1 ·
I was on my commute home earlier, and when I was at a set of lights I noticed a bad smell and lots of smoke coming out of my exhaust.

When I got home there wasn't really any coming out but the bike felt really ****ing hot.
Now it is 32 outside atm (90F) so its kind of hot but my temp gauge was only around 80-90% of max so Im not sure if I should go of feel and assume the temp sensor could be off

Oil level seems normal but I may have over filled it a few weeks ago as I wasn't being precise, I might have a coolant leak somewhere as I had to top up a few weeks ago :/

I'll probably drop the bike in for a service when I get the chance this week as I'm due for one but any ideas on what it could be.

#2 ·
Smoke isn't a good sign! I thought over filling would result in more oil being spat out into the airbox?
Mine often smells like an oily rag after a good day out when I'm parked but the smell doesn't linger when it cools off.
I'd get it looked at
We've got 32c daily here now and mine feels real hot and runs just under the top bar in traffic but lowers a few bars after a kilometer of free ride...
Good luck,be interesting to see what you find.
:)

#3 ·
Depends on the color and smell if the smoke. White is usually unburnt fuel (and smells like it). Blue is oil. Overfilling it is unlikely to produce smoke.

#11 ·
Lol I didn't proof read my post.

The mechanics couldn't find anything wrong at all.
So I don't know what it was that could of caused the smoke to appear, the only condition that the mechanics couldn't reproduce while testing was the fact that it was really really hot outside while running the bike at temp.

#15 ·
And being that the motor was at top heat level , the extra fuel vapored and smoked the exhaust which if running at normal heat might cause some type of bad run episode with FI light on, WTF, turn bike off, restart and no problems, off we go.

Just a guess

#16 ·
Probably asking a dumb question here, but was the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe at the rear or wafting up from the pipes at the front. The reason I ask is have you ever rode over a plastic shopping bag and had it melt on the exhaust? It smokes like crazy and smells terrible.

#19 ·
not noticeably, I just did a 400 km group ride some of the people following said my bike smelt bad "like diesel", just had an oil change a few days ago so it could of been overfilled?

I might try the reset later or removing kevs mod so its not running as rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.