My '16 690 Duke Race Bike - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
KTM Forums Team Racer

My '16 690 Duke Race Bike

There are enough people asking me questions about racing this bike, so I'll post up everything I learn about racing the 690 here.

To start: I bought the bike in Aug '16 and raced the last 2 rounds of the season. The bike was immediately fast in stock form, but I still need to drop ~1 second to steal the lap records out here in Colorado. It's good enough to win anyway.

It's race-able completely stock, but you really need rearsets if you don't want to grind your feet off. I added motohooligan straight pegs and Duke R rearsets but still managed to grind pegs a little bit with stock suspension. Race brake pads will also help a ton, the stock ones are crap.

Installed Parts:
KTM Powerparts tuning kit (Akrapovic, airbox, sas delete)
EBC GPFA brake pads
Duke R rearsets
HF Carbon bellypan
KTM bellypan brackets
Motohooligan non-folding pegs
Driven SX Handlebar
Driven Brake Lever Guard
Driven SBK Grips
Andreani Cartridges from Boulder Motor Sports
Custom brake lines and abs delete from Boulder Motor Sports
Powerparts number plate
Evotech RC390 toe guard
Pirelli SBK slicks
Motorex fluids
KTM Powerparts engine covers Clutch and ignition
Low temp thermo switch

For fun, here's my buddy and me racing our 690s (camera is on my bike). There's a lot to learn if u look close.

wiwwee, weeksy, cors187 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by tecknojoe; 02-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
KTM Forums Team Racer

Today I started installing the Akra / tuning kit. Set aside several hours for the work.

The Akra weighs 11.7lbs, the previous owner installed a Yosh slip on. I saved 6.2 lbs by replacing it with the akra.

The rear subframe only weights 8 lbs, and it holds up very well to crashing. The OEM battery weighs 8.1lbs, I'll be replacing that soon. The battery tray weighs 1lb. So in all, the rear end is 9 lbs without the battery, so I don't feel motivated to rebuild the whole rear end to save a pound or two.

I also got my forks back on after having Boulder Motor Sports install the Andreani carts. I hope to test that out soon. The OEM forks would wallow pretty bad when I initiated brakes with any lean angle, and also did it when trail braking over bumps. It was controllable but far from ideal, I had to be very careful when riding at full pace.

More to come soon

cors187 likes this.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 PM
55x

Looks and sounds good to me. Thanks for posting that. What brand of shark fin / chain guard is your buddy running? Lookin forward to the report on the new forks once the snow melts.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55x View Post
Looks and sounds good to me. Thanks for posting that. What brand of shark fin / chain guard is your buddy running? Lookin forward to the report on the new forks once the snow melts.
He's using the KTM powerparts one, I think he ordered the whole cup kit.

I have the evotech guard left over from my 390 that I'm going to fit onto the duke. It looks a lot nicer than that white plastic.

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Great job getting the hardware running all the stock stuff, Techno.

I plan to run a few races with AHRMA next year, if everything falls into place the way it should. My classes will be Sound of Singles 1 and Sound of Thunder 2.
I am in IL and will race at Gingerman and Road America, which are local to me. What classes do you run in and with what organization?

Also, I'm looking for some replacement solid pegs as I ground one side down in a lowside late last year. That link you posted says 1290 SD, but I assume they work fine with your rearsets, yes?

What tires and compounds did you run and how did they perform?

Thanks
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 PM
55x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
He's using the KTM powerparts one, I think he ordered the whole cup kit.

I have the evotech guard left over from my 390 that I'm going to fit onto the duke. It looks a lot nicer than that white plastic.

Cool. For sure that is nicer than the white plastic. Thanks for the link on that.

What gearing do you run for HPR?
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysaab View Post
Great job getting the hardware running all the stock stuff, Techno.

I plan to run a few races with AHRMA next year, if everything falls into place the way it should. My classes will be Sound of Singles 1 and Sound of Thunder 2.
I am in IL and will race at Gingerman and Road America, which are local to me. What classes do you run in and with what organization?

Also, I'm looking for some replacement solid pegs as I ground one side down in a lowside late last year. That link you posted says 1290 SD, but I assume they work fine with your rearsets, yes?

What tires and compounds did you run and how did they perform?

Thanks
I race in the MRA, and will also race as a guest with Utah sba and Chuckwalla. My main classes are lightweight GP and endurance (SV 650 classes), as well as supertwins U, thunderbike, and FC (singles). A local buddy of mine will be doing AHRMA this year so you may see him out there. I'd really like to do Barber, we'll see how much money I have at the end of the season.

Yea those Motohooligan 1290 pegs will fit, he just doesn't have them listed for 690.

I ran the Pirelli Superbike (I think SC2 - harder compound). I was really happy with them, they had a lot of pickup out of the corners, and when they do let go, it's really controllable. I got them from these guys: Sol Performance. I hope to try the softer compound this season, since they weren't available last minute last season.

Quote:
Cool. For sure that is nicer than the white plastic. Thanks for the link on that.

What gearing do you run for HPR?
Stock gearing is fine, I may try +1 just to see. My video above shows a good amount of time in 6th gear on the straight. I believe Driven Racing makes a sprocket for the 690 smt / adv that will fit the 690 the same, so I'm going to see if I can get my hands on them. They just don't list any of that on their website.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:55 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

I have uploaded the pirelli compound chart as it is not quite as simple as hard /soft compounds. Obviously everyone will have a preference in what they use but this is a guide for more specific conditions. Different tyres for different tracks. Phillip Island is a harsh surface and destroyed my SC1 rear and I should have changed the tyre for the second race day. So I will be using an SC2 this year. The SC2 worked well at Sydney Motorsport Park and has worn perfectly and will get another showing next month. Mind you the temps were in around 28' celcius on these days. Wakefield Park is a smooth track and when we race there the temps are ususally around 10' celcius so an SC1 would be a better option. Dont know what your tracks are like over there but have a look at the site as it also covers tyre pressures etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pirelli.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	54161  
tecknojoe likes this.

IF YOU FLY JETS LONG ENOUGH , THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENS

Current bikes:
690 Duke race bike
748 Ducati race bike

Previous bikes:
Triumph Bonneville cafe custom
1098S Ducati
749 Ducati
748 Ducati
Triumph Daytona 955
Triumph Daytona 600 race bike
Kawasaki ZX7/ZXR750
A couple of dirties too
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Looking for a shark fin/guard myself. Didn't see the link for that though. Can you post?
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysaab View Post
Looking for a shark fin/guard myself. Didn't see the link for that though. Can you post?
Link for the rc390 toe guard: http://www.evotech-performance.com/k...d-2014-onwards

You'll have to leave off one of the plates because the hole will be slightly below the hole in the swing arm (you'll see when you get it), then just get 2 lock nuts for the screws to hold the shark fin part. I'll post a pic when I finish modifying mine.

Driven also makes one, but you'll have to drill and mount the screw receivers to the swingarm. Driven toe guard.

Last edited by tecknojoe; 01-17-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode