690 crash bars - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

690 crash bars

I installed the KTM crash bars on my 690 three days ago, and this morning I found my bike taking a dirt nap on the kickstand side. A branch was lying where the bike used to stand! We had a night of 30 mph winds and it finally tipped at 630 am. Thanks to the bars, the only damage is a scuff to the tip of the left crash bar. I am thoroughly relieved. Just wanted to share!

I'm now part of the "I installed bars and found my bike laying down the next day" club
cors187 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_ds View Post
I installed the KTM crash bars on my 690 three days ago, and this morning I found my bike taking a dirt nap on the kickstand side. A branch was lying where the bike used to stand! We had a night of 30 mph winds and it finally tipped at 630 am. Thanks to the bars, the only damage is a scuff to the tip of the left crash bar. I am thoroughly relieved. Just wanted to share!

I'm now part of the "I installed bars and found my bike laying down the next day" club
Lucky guy! I haven't had to use mine yet.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Has anyone weighed them?

The only response I've heard is "heavy"

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
Has anyone weighed them?

The shipping box weight was 14.7 lbs and the box contained crash bars + hardware, a ton of bubble wrap, and four pieces of paper with instructions. I'd say the bars weigh 13.5 - 14 lbs.

They don't feel heavy compared to how solid they are, but 14 lbs isn't light either.

Anyone know the weight of the cat? I'm wondering if the bars cancel out the cat delete.
cors187 likes this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:48 AM
KTM Forums Team Racer

The full akra system weighs 11.7lbs. I previously had the oem header + cat with a Yosh slipon. By switching to the akra I saved 6.2lbs.

14lbs is really heavy. Maybe I'll just buy a spare radiator
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Changing out the radiator and fairing pieces is a bigger pain than simply picking up the bike

Then again I'm just happy to have a bike under 350 lbs. Until that point I don't care about weight.
tecknojoe likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Full Throttle

Quote:
Maybe I'll just buy a spare radiator
I was randoming through ebay once and i found a set of duke crash bars(silver in color ). They didnt have the same design as the clamp on types most guys link . I should have kept the link somewhere as it was like 50 pages in and in another language (german/polish- something i cant remember).

Anyway they looked rather smaller and cheap looking for sure.

Wondering now if your thoughts are not pointing to a custom slide bar profile rather than full crash bars for a full race bike.

Not sure if i under stood the convo above but thought to post to see where your thoughts were goimg.
Your duke is full race?

current -2007 690SM
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 PM
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors187 View Post
I was randoming through ebay once and i found a set of duke crash bars(silver in color ). They didnt have the same design as the clamp on types most guys link . I should have kept the link somewhere as it was like 50 pages in and in another language (german/polish- something i cant remember).

Anyway they looked rather smaller and cheap looking for sure.

Wondering now if your thoughts are not pointing to a custom slide bar profile rather than full crash bars for a full race bike.

Not sure if i under stood the convo above but thought to post to see where your thoughts were goimg.
Your duke is full race?
I have looked at the sato sliders, they may help protect the radiator a little better than nothing. I recommend the crash bars unless you're racing a lot, I just don't want a big weight penalty.

I never put cheap ebay parts, especially ones from hong kong, on my bikes. It's not worth it.
cors187 likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Enlightened
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
You will come to see this as the best quality of your bike, if you have not already. You come to see each mark on your engine bars as something that is NOT a damage to your tank shrouds, bar ends, bar end mirrors, control levers, radiator, and to some extent muffler

Quote:
Has anyone weighed them?

They are heavy, though appreciably lighter than the cat. No guessing which I place more value upon.

Quote:
Then again I'm just happy to have a bike under 350 lbs. Until that point I don't care about weight.
I am with you here, until you put power into consideration. This bike NEEDS to be light, because there are many occasions where it's power is disappointing. It makes up for its power issues with its cornering and braking deftness, but I care about every pound of its weight too.

Quote:
I never put cheap ebay parts, especially ones from hong kong, on my bikes. It's not worth it.
This challenges me, I don't understand it. Do you have objective reasons to be so skeptical? Leaving out the concept of Chinese world domination by ruthlessly copying manufacturing techniques, why are you so anti-Chinese?

My Kato dealer (Newcastle) is no slouch, they are knee deep in awards, which only means they sell a lot of schit. But to sell a lot of schit, they have to maintain the customer's loyalty. They have at least two large competitors within an hour's ride/drive. My region of Australia is arguably the dirt capital of the Southern Hemisphere; it has produced many greats including Chad Reed, Toby Price and Casey Stoner. My point is that the market is competitive around here, lots of riders, lots of suppliers. I would think that would make them serious "pushers" of Kato bits, encourage you to be 100% KTM loyal.

I went to my dealer one arvie and said, "order me the Scotts version of this", pointing at a Chinese eBay listing of a steering dampener. I had already purchased and returned a high end dampener from KTM-Twins - they had not advertised accurately and the part did not fit the Duke. KTM Newcastle opened the page on their computer, examined it, and ADVISED ME TO PURCHASE the eBay dampener from China. A dampener kit has two components, dampener and brackets. Scott/Ohlin dampeners are all roughly the same regarding dimensions, but Scott/Ohlin do not make brackets for the Duke. The dampener would fit but you cannot purchase the brackets to mount it on a Duke. KTM Newcastle advised me to purchase the Chinese kit because the Chinese kit (containing both dampener and brackets for the Duke) was cheaper than what Ohlin quoted for any of the dirt bike mounting brackets WITHOUT THE DAMPENER. If the Chinese dampener bothered me, I could throw it out and use the Chinese brackets to mount an Ohlin dampener. But the Chinese unit arrived, we inspected it and I fitted it, and it works just fine. It's only failing is that the anodising fades quickly, so it is nothing like Orange anymore.

More recently, I was interested in beefing up my brakes without investing a Prince's ransom. The standard Brembo caliper appeared to be the best part of the system, so I considered getting a Brembo or Magura radial master cylinder. Then someone here posted two examples of Chinese radial master cylinders, one Taiwanese, each of which was about a tenth of the price of the top shelf kit. Using the same rationale as I had with my steering dampener, I bought the non-Taiwanese cylinder, the CHEAPER of the two, because that model offered adjustability to the length of the lever arm. It appears to work well so far, but I am still lacking bite in the brakes.

Thankfully, I also found YOUR posts and you have given me another avenue to pursue that I had not considered, namely, bypass the next-to-fcuken-useless ABS system. I WAS like Weldertron in Quebec who has a deep respect for gravel and all things slippery. I did believe that my ABS was chock full of magical-guarantee fairies that constantly saved my arse from binning it every time my tyre had a chance to break traction. But now I am cured. I find ABS a pain in the arse, not an arse saver.

So now my STEERING and BRAKING are vulnerable to "Chinese failure", because one product is not manufactured by anyone other than the Chinese, and the other being roughly 10% of the Italian cost, yet I have no fear or signs of either product failing. And it is endorsed by KTM Newcastle, at least verbally.

Crash bars would have a significantly less vital role to play in your bike's performance.

Why do you think that is "not worth it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690arrr View Post
It's literally hard to explain how good they are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Boldor; 02-07-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Full Throttle

Quote:
I have looked at the sato sliders, they may help protect the radiator a little better than nothing. I recommend the crash bars unless you're racing a lot, I just don't want a big weight penalty.

Sato sliders?, got link?

current -2007 690SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode