KTM Forums banner

destickering the 690 Duke

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  kbkato 
#1 ·
Been thinking about taking the stickers/decals off my 16 690 Duke, just a quick question to those that have done it, do you need to clean any sticky mess off the tank left from the stickers and if it does what did you clean it off with?

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup starting to think so too Weet

#4 ·
Pick a warm day; warm to hot. I'd wait until Summer really kicks in, not this girly 42 degrees with a nice nor'wester.

Then arm yourself with Wax & Grease remover, and some Acetone.

Use one then the other. One balls the gunk up, I think it is the W&G remover. The other wipes the smears away. Repeat. Lots.

Next time, use a hair dryer (you can borrow mine) and heat the sticker right up and most of the gum comes off with the decal.

#5 · (Edited)
Ah good thinking,might have to borrow the wife's hairdryer,or wait for a 45 degree day..But then that probably better spent with a few coldies,I was gonna try eucalyptus to get the glue goo off unless the w&g works better? Was sorta hoping (dreaming probably) it'd peel straight off no dramas like,
Thanks for the advice boldor
- not started it yet, just in the bugger it I think I'm gonna do it stage

#9 · (Edited)
Hey that's what I wanted to hear,how old was your bike when you did that out of interest, mines 11 months of weathering now, not sure if it would make a difference.

#10 ·
Well i reckoned 40 degrees was warm enough so I finally did it, rear stickers peeled off real easy like, front large ones looked like they were gonna resist so I used boldors idea and pinched the wife's hairdryer, helped a lot but still had some glue goo left behind. This took most of my time, I used eucalyptus oil to ball up the glue and wipe off, all up probably took an hour most of that was cleaning off the glue from the 2 front panels.
I like it. Thanks for the replies to my questions ppl. Some before and after shots.

Attachments

Reactions: sf_ds
#15 ·
The are rotated down a bit, but its also a bit of an illusion bc of the camera angle. There is a support ridge in the inside of the guard and you have to put the lever above or below it. They do block the wind surprisingly well at the current angle, but Acerbis makes some larger guards. The position could probably be improved, but I didn't mess with it since I'm planning on getting a Vortex Johny Murphy bend flat track bar soon. I also didn't use the cuff spacers/shims under the clamps which may give you the extra clearance.

#18 ·
@Zolty hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.