My first few rides on my '14 690.... and I have a couple of questions.. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

My first few rides on my '14 690.... and I have a couple of questions..

Hi all,

So the mid-Atlantic United States have been ďblessedĒ with some not-so-cold temperatures (I use the ďĒ because I love to ski and I havenít been able to do it, boo ) therefore I managed to put some 700kms, or about 500miles, on my 2014 Duke 690. Itís so much fun! My main bikes have been Triumph triples for about 7 years so as you can imagine itís taking some getting used to life with a single. And during every ride I come up with a few more questions about this bike so I thought Iíd start a thread and fire away (note: bike is bone stock):

-What is the optimal RPM for you all? I seem to downshift a lot to rev up to the red line but it feels very unnatural and I feel like Iím doing this wrong. I know itís a vague description but I would like to know where you all usually keep the revs in the twisties.

-Whatís the first upgrade I ought to do to this thing? I have a few bikes to sell and finish paying off my wedding expenses plus a bonus so I might have some disposable income in the next few months, nothing major, just a few hundos to drop on the orange mini beast. I like the bike the way it is and I donít know what the first thing I should mess around with ought to be. Hence my question to the prosÖ.

-I currently have an HJC helmet and that b!tch is LOUD! Whatís a good quiet lid for a bike with this riding position?

-Last question for now: I bought a KTM racetech jacket to go with this new bike but it didnít come with elbow/shoulder/back armor. Anyone know where I could get some? Whatís your favorite jacket to ride with the Duke? Honestly my Triumph brand adventure jacket might be better than this one.

Thanks a bunch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	55186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn View Post
-What is the optimal RPM for you all? I seem to downshift a lot to rev up to the red line but it feels very unnatural and I feel like Iím doing this wrong. I know itís a vague description but I would like to know where you all usually keep the revs in the twisties.
I usually keep it anywhere 4K and up when riding twisties. Cruising I keep between 3K and 4K.

Quote:
-Whatís the first upgrade I ought to do to this thing? I have a few bikes to sell and finish paying off my wedding expenses plus a bonus so I might have some disposable income in the next few months, nothing major, just a few hundos to drop on the orange mini beast. I like the bike the way it is and I donít know what the first thing I should mess around with ought to be.
I think that the o2 sensor is the only real necessary mod on these. I also like the crash bars since they make this bike worry free when booking it.

2014 Duke 690 (Kev's O2 mod, My own fuel mod, decat, GPR Furore exhaust, hollowed airbox with pod filter)

2015 s1000r
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:01 PM

If you're ripping it int he corners, 4.5-6.5 is a pretty good zone to be in. If you swap in the Evo cam you can pull to redline.

I'd say a decent muffler and cat delete, then swap in the Evo map and get Kev's mod.

Boldor will tell you 15-42 gears.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Knows all
KTM Forums Team Racer

Revs 5000rmp and above.
No acceleration or engine brake below that so I like to keep mine singing.
First mod Conti Attack SM tyres.
Don't worry about the helmet. Just get some ear plugs.

Loving the new R
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldertron View Post
Boldor will tell you 15-42 gears.

He would. Or just get a 44 for the rear.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Revs... when the dash resets and the lights flash crazy.... change up
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldertron View Post
I'd say a decent muffler and cat delete, then swap in the Evo map and get Kev's mod.
This might be strange but I will want to keep emissions related stuff for as long as I can…. I hug trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldor View Post
He would. Or just get a 44 for the rear.
Might have to be mod#1. Just a thought: is your name supposed to be a nod to the Bol d’or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwwee View Post
Revs 5000rmp and above.
No acceleration or engine brake below that so I like to keep mine singing.
Don't worry about the helmet. Just get some ear plugs.
The engine brake thing is why I was always up in the revs. Triples have it much lower so it just feels unnatural. I will have to get used to it. Oh and I should have mentioned that I hate having anything in my ears while wearing a helmet (actually I hate having anything in my ears, period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
Revs... when the dash resets and the lights flash crazy.... change up
That’s kind of what I do now!

Last edited by Frankenschwinn; 02-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM

If you do one thing to this bike to make it more livable, the o2 sensor mod will make steady cruising much less hurky jurky.

2014 Duke 690 (Kev's O2 mod, My own fuel mod, decat, GPR Furore exhaust, hollowed airbox with pod filter)

2015 s1000r
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Might have to be mod#1. Just a thought: is your name supposed to be a nod to the Bol díor?

The French race track? No

The DOHC Honda-four that I had four of and used as a courier bike for a decade? That'd be the reason.

55x likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

..... Which I assume is named after the French 24hr race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode