Long time lurker joining your ranks - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Long time lurker joining your ranks

Hi everyone,

Over the last month I've gone deeeeep into this forum as I was plotting out my next bike. Seriously, I've read EVERY thread in the Duke channel up until page 35. I actually swore out loud after getting to the end of arr690's tuning thread and he rode off into the wind WITHOUT POSTING THE DYNO CHART. I feel like I know many of you already, and your collective experiences have convinced me - today I put down a deposit on the 2017 Duke 690 (in white + track pack) and am picking it up tomorrow.

I'm coming from slightly bigger hooligan bikes, as my last two bikes were a 2008 Hypermotard 1100, and a 2013 Hyperstrada 821. I do have a history on duke's though, as my first ever road bike was a Duke II. So was my second, because the first one got stolen six days after I bought it (welcome to San Francisco). Great first bike, but too many gremlins - and a total paint shaker.

I ultimately decided to buy this bike because, aside from expecting it to be a hoot: (1) I liked the idea of modifying it rather than buying something more expensive out of the box, and (2) I just got into track days and think that I'll learn more by trying to get the most out of a light, small bike.

Expect many questions to be coming down the pipeline shortly as I plan to get modifying ASAP.
cors187 and FatCobra like this.

Last edited by gokes; 02-14-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Nice! I think you'll really love it, the Duke is a crazy fun bike regardless of who you are or what bikes you come from.

I recently purchased an s1000r, its crazy fun, but I still smile ear to ear when swinging a leg over the Duke.

2014 Duke 690 (Kev's O2 mod, My own fuel mod, decat, GPR Furore exhaust, hollowed airbox with pod filter)

2015 s1000r (Yoshi exhaust, yoshi engine guards, evotech levers, rizoma mirrors, CF front, rear, side fenders and headlight assembly, Sargent seat, AP rearsets, LED turn signals.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Welcome

KTM 690 Duke 2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeoVince Carbon and decat.
32mm airbox hack
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Akra map
KEVXTX O2

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:37 PM
55x

Congrats. You won't be disappointed.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Welcome gokes, you'll love the smoothness of the '17 model, look forward to seeing your mods as you go, enjoy!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gents. Just picked the new duke up..... Wow.

10 miles in and this thing doesn't disappoint. The agility and precision are ridiculous - and the engine is everything I wanted my old Duke II to be. Coming off 114hp hypermotard i was concerned about the drop in power. I was mistaken.

Unrelated to the Duke - this was my first time ever buying a car or bike brand new. The feeling of firing it up and odo reading 0 miles is something special.

Pics, more detailed review, and mod questions/update to follow.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=gokes;717954]

The agility and precision are ridiculous

Coming from a Jap IL4 sportbike this is what i love most about the 690 duke. The TFT screen is a PITA in direct sunlight, but ride the duke through some twisties and you'll not miss being on any other bike
Post up some pics when you can.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

[quote=kbkato;718002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokes View Post

The agility and precision are ridiculous

Coming from a Jap IL4 sportbike this is what i love most about the 690 duke. The TFT screen is a PITA in direct sunlight, but ride the duke through some twisties and you'll not miss being on any other bike
Post up some pics when you can.
I still don't have enough posts to upload pictures, once I do they'll be up!

Couple other thoughts after another ten miles:

[1] The gear level is placed weirdly high. While my foot is on the pegs, I can't rotate it enough to up-shift, so I have to actually lift my foot off the peg.

[2] I need to grip the tank better with my legs as it's very narrow where it meets the seat. Last night my front wheel inexplicably left the ground, and when coming back down to earth I crushed my manly bits.

[3] I have fuel coming out of the seal on the gas cap - I did my ride home in three parts last night, and each time after I cleaned the fuel off more came up. I'm going to tighten up the bolts that hold the cap in place and see that fixes it. If that doesn't work anyone have any ideas - back to the dealer for a new seal/cap/tank?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 PM

[quote=gokes;718178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkato View Post

[3] I have fuel coming out of the seal on the gas cap - I did my ride home in three parts last night, and each time after I cleaned the fuel off more came up. I'm going to tighten up the bolts that hold the cap in place and see that fixes it. If that doesn't work anyone have any ideas - back to the dealer for a new seal/cap/tank?
Definitely check the seal,there is a thread on here about the fuel tank warping on the new model so if it continues take it straight back to the dealer.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode