2016 690 Duke Exhaust Fitment - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shards51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

2016 690 Duke Exhaust Fitment

Howdy y'all!

Firstly I apologize if this has been addressed, I have used the search function to no avail and scoured the internet with much the same result.

Simple question, will a 2014 690 Duke exhaust fit a 2016?

As y'all know there aren't a tremendous amount of choices when looking for aftermarket accessories for these bikes, at least relatively speaking, and there seems to be even less for the '16 and '17 year models. I know this is somewhat expected but it sure can make things a pain.

I'm sure Akra makes a tremendous exhaust but there is no way I'm paying what they're asking for their full exhaust option, that is just ridiculous. I mean, it's one pipe, give me a break.

Thanks y'all!

Race - 2003 SV650 / Street - 2016 KTM 690 Duke / Low HP Street - 2015 Grom / Touring - 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 / Pit - 2002 Honda XR80r

Sponsored by: Bell Helmets - M4 Exhaust - Vesrah Brakes/BD Racing - Bridgestone Tires

2016 CMRA F2 Endurance Champion - Torquasaurus #98 / Expert Sprint #899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM

The Akra is a twin muffler set-up, with a titanium/carbon slip on, so while it might seem ridiculous, you pay for quality, and I can honestly say that it's the best sound option for it. The resonator under the motor eliminates the cackle high compression singles tend to have.

Anyway.

After that, some guys like the Remus hypercone because it's an underbelly and looks cool. There is a video on youtube comparing a bunch of mufflers, and all that really changes is the slight tone.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, and I appreciate the insight. I have no doubt they make a quality product, but boy they sure are proud of it.

As far as a bang for the buck scenario, someone is going to have a hell of a time convincing me that Akrapovic's slip-on is almost twice as good as a Yoshimura slip-on. Yoshimura makes some of the best stuff in business and I've been using them for years on many applications.

My question wasn't so much geared towards which one is good and which one isn't, but simply if the fitment is the same between 2014 and 2016 models. Some websites simply haven't updated their inventory fitment charts and was hoping someone could provide some clarity.

Race - 2003 SV650 / Street - 2016 KTM 690 Duke / Low HP Street - 2015 Grom / Touring - 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 / Pit - 2002 Honda XR80r

Sponsored by: Bell Helmets - M4 Exhaust - Vesrah Brakes/BD Racing - Bridgestone Tires

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 PM

I owned a 2014 (non-R, stock muffler) from late 2015 to mid 2016 and I now have a 2016/7 ("R" with Akra). My "gut" feeling is that there is no difference. That might be backed up by the fact that I just bought a Fresco mid-pipe, which was listed as being for 2012-2016, and it fitted straight up without any issues. I am not 100% sure but I am very close. There would be no reason for KTM to change it would there?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shards51 View Post
There would be no reason for KTM to change it would there?
My thoughts exactly, but I have seen crazier. Only thing that made we wonder is the slight change in OEM part # designation when viewing those year model headers.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris899 View Post
My thoughts exactly, but I have seen crazier. Only thing that made we wonder is the slight change in OEM part # designation when viewing those year model headers.
I have a sneaky feeling that the "R" headers are made my Akrapovic. Also, the weld just down from the cylinder seems to be in a different position to my original 2014. This is starting to sound like some "conspiracy theory" but it's just idle observation.
cors187 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM

In looking around for an exhaust system for my '17 Duke, I've noted that both Arrow and Akrapovic have new products, with new part numbers for the '16- Dukes.

If you go to the Arrow site, the header/mid pipe for the '16 Duke has the following part number: # 71648MI, which is different than the number for the '12-'15 models.

Does this mean the actual shape of the headers is different? I'm not sure. But another thing that makes me think they might be is that they changed the shape of the crash bars - which might indicate the assumption of a different pipe dimension?

Last edited by gokes; 02-18-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode