Why did you buy your KTM? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Why did you buy your KTM?

So far I'm very impressed by KTM dirt bikes and I am seriously considering buying one as an upgrade to my little Honda CRF230F. I really want a 250 four stroke trail bike, so that means either the EXC or XC-W line. But one thing I'd really like to find out is: why do people buy KTMs rather than the Japanese bikes or even the other european bikes? I want you guys to sell me on the KTM brand I think Anyone want to chime in? So far what I've found out is that KTMs come with lots of aftermarket goodies baked right in from the factory, like the handlebars, Magura levers, Brembo brakes, etc. Why else do people like them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:15 AM
stu

only went in for an oil filter and came out with a bike, strange but absolutely true.
most bikes are pretty good now but KTM bikes are a little better than Japanese straight out of the box.
build quality is good and reliability too, these go hand in hand.
another inportant fact is I have a great dealer on my doorstep who has been in the trade years and is an important cog in a happy relationship with a brand, what ever the brand.

Lost presumed fed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM
What the curtains?

I'd have to say the first thing that made me notice KTM (other than
Dakar wins and looks) was the magic button.

Trying to kick start my hot XR650R, and watching the other
KTM guys in our group just press and go. There is many other
things, but that was an "why doesn't Honda do that" moment.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'08 Husqvarna 610 TE
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Full Throttle

In Helsinki there is kids popping wheelies everywhere ,Scooters ,little monkey bikes,road/trail, supermotos All on the roads and walking/bike paths.
I have to admit those kids on the supermoto bikes are the best and they look like a lot of fun to ride.
So i looked in the local bike sales online and discovered that KTM has a huge following here with a lot of secondhand bikes.
I came to this forum to figure out whats my best choice and so far so good.

current -2007 690SM
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
DW
Dirt Wizard

The rfs did it for me. As baja mentioned, you could finally buy a bike with a kick start and a push button.
At first the reliablility was questionable, but at that stage honda were still pushing there xr400 which was virtually indestructable, but boring air cooled ag bike looking and no where near the power of the ktm
Then Honda brought out there crf water cooled bike and there reliability went out the window. They had major valve problems. The ktm was a much better choice.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:54 PM

I think they are the best made motorcycle today. Might not be the fastest in every venue ( motoGP ) YET! I think they will eventually rule many categories! Its just a great company!

Have a wonderful Day

2009 KTM 690 E -W/ Sumo Wheels
2015 BMW R9T
2017 KTM SDR ... on order
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 AM

I've been riding on and off for almost 20 years, in that time I've on;y ever owned Jap bikes. When I saw the RC8 I simply fell in love and swore I'd own one. I bought one never having ridden any KTM bikes at all and have never looked back. I'm not looking into and researching all things KTM.

Honda CR125
Kawasaki KLR 650
GSXR 600
Kawasaki 636
HD Electra Glide
GSXR 750
Yamaha R6

KTM RC8
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:20 AM

I've been riding Ducati Diavel and S1000RR previously. But I guess got bored of both.
I like Superduke because it sort of stands out from the crowd. Very powerful engine and aggressive design.
So I bought it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:24 AM

It was the best deal I could find on a bike at the time. Also seems KTM owners tend to be older and take slightly better care of the machine from what I saw.
No more reliable then my Honda was, doesn't seem better in any particular way, just different. KTM's have their issues just like any other bike. You get best clutch and brakes on the KTM, okay wheels, nice renthal bars and sprocket. In the 350 category you get allot of power so other than 450's there is no Jap bike to offer this. Ergo's on the Honda suit me better but the hydraulic clutch and better brakes on the KTM are nice. I think if I had to do it over I would go for the Yamaha they have a super solid package. Also the new KTM's are nearly $12K and have air forks. The Yamaha's can be had between $8-9000 and come with the best suspension year after year. In the end it's preference, all the bikes are great and some shine better at different things.
I'll be keeping my KTM though, doing my top end now at 150 hours. Likely just get a 2nd bike since I can't part with my 350.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:38 AM

I found my bike off Craigslist. I couldn't afford to buy new. I did lots of forum reading and talking with people who had all sorts of brands of bikes. I looked at several and bought the cleanest low hour bike I could afford. The quality seems second to none and I'm looking forward to lots of fun.
cors187 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode