2016 690 Enduro -- EVO-2 Tuning Kit Installation Issues - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

2016 690 Enduro -- EVO-2 Tuning Kit Installation Issues

I purchased a 2016 690 Enduro R in late December. As part of the purchase I added the EVO-2 Tuning Kit. The dealer said they could install it and re-flash the ECU so I did what every Moto freak wanting more more more and I parted ways with an additional $2500.

I dropped off the bike on Tuesday of this week for its first service and the Kit Installation project.

Picked up the bike yesterday evening (Thursday) and several issues exist.

1) The service tech could not get the EVO-2 ECU Fueling Map to successfully load and run. He said it loads with no errors but that the bike simply would not start up. He called KTM (I am not sure who his source is at KTM) and says that they told him that the 2016's cannot be reflashed. He reloaded the stock fuel map and as a result of the major mods performed the bike simply does not run correctly.

Has anyone out there with a 2016 had their ECU's flashed successfully by a dealer? Has anyone heard that the 2016 ECU's are totally locked out?

2) Since I did not do the installation I did not study how everything was laid out in the stock configuration. When I was picking up the bike I popped the seat off and was shocked to find the ECU just laying in there--sort of on its side between the new air filter and old battery box. They had installed the "RACING" Air Filter Support Bracket but on the 2016 it has no use. There was over 1/2" gap between the end of the filter and the bracket. I removed that "RACING" bracket and simply Zip-Tied the ECU to the old battery box.

Where does the ECU Go with the EVO-2 Mod? Is there a new special bracket to mount it?

Here is how I Zip-Tied mine in:
IMG_7480 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

3) The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor does not seem to have a specific place to go with the Airbox removed. The dealer relocated it to an area that I did not like so I relocated myself. That gave me more room to Zip-Tie the ECU.

Here is how I mounted the Air Sensor. I had a small bracket that was part of a Tidy Tail Kit that worked perfect for the mounting of it:
IMG_7481 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

I have seen a few scarce pictures of the EVO-2 Installation and it looks like others have simply found a best fit location for theirs.
Does this sound consistent with what others here have done?

4) Crank-Case Breather Filter and its connection to the SAS manifold.

Does the EVO-2 Kit come with a small filter to delete the stock one and eliminate the connection to the SAS manifold connection? Or is this another "you are on your own" situation?

This is how they left it. Kind of nasty looking:
IMG_7474 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

My main goal of this post is to sort out the ECU Fuel Map Loading Issue. Everything else is secondary.

However, if anyone has purchased an EVO-2 Kit and successfully installed it themselves I would love to hear any advice about the other issues I listed above. And if anyone has paper instructions for the kit installation and are willing to share with me via email I would be totally indebted to you!!!

Thanks

THE MF'R FROM CAPE C.
Present Bikes: 2016 KTM 390 Duke || 2016 690 Enduro-R/SM || 2015 1290 SDR--Black || 2016 BMW S1000XR--White || 1979 Honda CBX1000 || 1984 Yamaha RZ350 ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:05 PM
What the curtains?

Did the $2500 include an exhaust?

I see the kits for $409.

http://www.azmotocity.com/ktm-tuning...uctid=17412357

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...EVO-2-kit-pics

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Did he try starting it with the side stand up?

It's a common issue that they have to reset gear position sensor or else it won't start when side stand down.

KTM 690 Duke 2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeoVince Carbon and decat.
32mm airbox hack

Akra map
KEVXTX O2

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
Did he try starting it with the side stand up?

It's a common issue that they have to reset gear position sensor or else it won't start when side stand down.
Good question. I have noticed that with TuneECU when I load my maps into my Triumph Bike this happens. But it will not even turnover or prime the fuel pump either. I am assuming what the tech was meaning by telling me that it would not start is that it would turn-over but would not fire up. Nevertheless, I will ask the question the very next chance I get.

Thanks

THE MF'R FROM CAPE C.
Present Bikes: 2016 KTM 390 Duke || 2016 690 Enduro-R/SM || 2015 1290 SDR--Black || 2016 BMW S1000XR--White || 1979 Honda CBX1000 || 1984 Yamaha RZ350 ||
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:42 AM

Hey new to forum, just put my money down on a 2016 and I am having the dealer install the the evo 2. Wondering how this is going for you? Progress? Please tell me the bike rips.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope690 View Post
Hey new to forum, just put my money down on a 2016 and I am having the dealer install the the evo 2. Wondering how this is going for you? Progress? Please tell me the bike rips.

***********MF'r KTM 690 Enduro R (And Super Moto) Update**************

There has always been something missing with my 690 – until now!

In review: I purchased my 2016 KTM 690 Enduro R in December of 2015 I had the KTM EVO-2 Performance Kit installed by the dealer as part of the original sale. The kit includes the Akrapovic's full Titanium Exhaust, revised profile racing cam , airbox delete and the K&N cone style racing filter in its place. I had read on-line—in more than one forum--that there was an EVO-2 KTM ECU Map available for uploading. I was fully expecting that I would have a “Super Thumper” when all the mods were completed. However, after an initial failed attempt to get a new ECU Map installed by the dealer (this went on for several days) the only available map they could find on their KTM Diagnostic Tool was named “EVO-1”. The comments section of the tool said the EVO-1 Map was for the Akrapovic's full Titanium Exhaust only. At that point due to sure frustration, I did not bother taking it to another dealer to see if the (Unicorn) EVO-2 Map existed. The bike did run better after the EVO-1 map was uploaded but it had a few flat spots and was not overly impressive in the 2000 to 4000 RPM range. Once over 4500 RPM it did pull very strong so I just figured I would just suck it up and live with it.

Fast forward a year later…..I had recently installed the Rapid Bike EVO Fuel Module on 3 of my other bikes and I was more than impressed with the outstanding results. So earlier this week, due to my newly found appreciation for the Rapid Bike, I had the EVO Fuel Module installed on my 690 Enduro as well. The results are excellent. The 2000 to 4000 RPM range is now super crisp, pulls hard, has zero flat spots and cruising in traffic is smooth. Pegging the throttle even only ¾ open results in the front tire not wanting to stay on the ground in the first 3 gears!!! But the most impressive is how much stronger it pulls now with throttle roll-on. I was coming home from dinner last night and traffic was very light on the highway I was traveling on so I decided to perform some engineering evaluation of the Rapid Bike's performance. As I came to a very high arching bridge I was doing roughly 65 mph in 6th gear and I pegged the throttle about ½ way to the top. By the time I crested the bridge I looked down and was doing about 105 mph. On flat roads I can totally pass cars without even having to downshift. For a 690cc single cylinder the bike produces way more MOJO than I ever thought was possible. There is no sense at all trying to compare how awesome the 690 is over my former KLR650!! Perhaps the analogy would be something like; The KTM 690 is a Navy Seal and the KLR650 is A 8 year-old Cub Scout!!!

The 690 now runs exactly as I had originally hoped for when I first bought it and I could not be any happier. It’s a celebration Bitches!!!!

THE MF'R FROM CAPE C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode