Big-bores / Strokers / Cams - Page 2 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Big bore/strokers /cams

Copying data for milltech forum

I figured to keep the discussion points listed in one thread if your ok with that.
The other posted threads are still active.
mill tech likes this.

current -2007 690SM

Last edited by cors187; 12-14-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill tech View Post
(The R&D team here is drooling btw).
Do you think based on ktm history , they left room for much bore and stroke increase?

current -2007 690SM
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 PM

Thanks Cors

I'm really the one drooling. lol This is the worst time for me to start digging into this as the snow is flying so all the sledheads are keeping our phones busy!

Historically, KTM does leave room for boring and stroking. I would like to see a little better metallurgy in 300 castings (but plenty of material for oversizing and machining). One of the biggest things is they seem to build such fantastic loyalty that the aftermarket (in a general sense) doesn't do a great job in supporting them. It always seems to fall into the "niche" type catergory? Like I said before, if there is interest I can push some manufacturesrs to help in development. I just need to show it is viable. If it is something that only limited people want it can still be done. The cost factors are not split into multiple purchases is the draw back.

I am going to try and have some rough package prices by the end of the week.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Im thinking the stroked/big bore 2003 lc4 and up is the new cafe racer

Dam those sledders guys are aggressive as , especially the hill climber ones. No power is enough.

current -2007 690SM
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Enlightened
KTM Forums Team Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors187 View Post
Knock Knock.
Hello Mrs Bolder ,can bolder come out to play?

Rack off, it's too fugg'n hot. And now it's raining too.

[Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for my rudeness in this fcuked up heat]

P.S. It's Bol d'Or, as in French race track. Unless you think I am a rock.

Re: Big pistons and Mill Tech. It sounds like a lovely dream but.......it's a big effort too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690arrr View Post
It's literally hard to explain how good they are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldor View Post

Re: Big pistons and Mill Tech. It sounds like a lovely dream but.......it's a big effort too.
I know this makes me a total "Murica type but. . . I'm a Big Man (26 stone lol). I am Wisecos largest customer. I can personally call the owner of Wossner on his "super secret" phone. I plate every cylinder made by any of the "Big Bore Cylinder" companies. blah, blah, "look at me." My point, all joking aside, is I can push and make it happen if there is interest.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill tech View Post
My point, all joking aside, is I can push and make it happen if there is interest.
What type of unit(number) do you think might allow for a production run?

current -2007 690SM
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Usually need an initial order of 50 units. As I said we can do less only it will cost more per unit. We try to keep the 4 stroke single Big Bores as close to (or lower) $500.usd as possible. It's funny that gaskets don't require these type of runs?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:59 PM

I spent some time digging into the "Big Bore" today. I can tell you that I can provide a complete top end " Big Bore Kit" up to a +3mm for under $500.00 usd. An initial order would take 4 - 6 weeks to get pistons manufactured.

More importantly. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldor View Post
I would be more interested in a carburetion of the LC4 rather than merely increasing capacity.

I have heard of, not directly experienced yet, enormous increases in power just from being able to provide the proper mix.

Several of you have heard my little "keep it to the basics" speech before attempting to pass along technical information. Bl d'or has hit the nail on the head. The right mapping, exhaust, timing (read tuning) can make all of the difference. Simple modifications to the stock systems can result in huge increases. It can sometimes be hard to digest that the Brands/Manufacturers we love have to appease so many different concerns. Performance, reliability, governments, retail costs, etc. Many of these manufacturers try to find the perfect balance. Always at the sacrifice of performance. Almost all current new model powersports, automotive, generators, IC engine based machinery, diesels do not operate at the peak mechanical potential. They are limited electronically and mechanically (component wise) to satisfy requirements other than peak performance. The people that understand this and how to circumvent it ALWAYS make the most horsepower. These types of people have names like Jack Roush, Barry Grant, Vic Edelbrock, Petri Mäkinenerry, Paul Gast, Kevin Hunt, Tom Morgan. I have personally watched three of these guys make simplistic modifications that have produced horsepower increases of 8 - 12%. No parts swap-outs, increased (or altered) displacements or re-engineered electrical systems!
The catch is that most of us do not have either the skills, tools, or time to achieve these results so we buy big bore kits, cams, pipes, throttle bodies, tuners. Some of us (the lucky or dumb depending on perspective) even stake our careers on making a living selling, installing, advising these parts!

Sorry for the thesis dissertation! It really struck home when BolDor made the comment because it was pure GOLD.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Hi
Does +3mm give a general cc increase number?
Is +3mm as far as your willing to go for the "kit"?, or is that something a customer can talk to you about further as a possible option?

You mentioned that stroker cranks is something you would look at on a customer basis.
Will the customer have to send barrel / crank and crank cases if this option was achievable ?

current -2007 690SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode