KTM Forums banner

Duke690 racing-Finland

7K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  wiwwee 
#1 ·
Did a track day on the new Duke.
Loads of fun.
Couple of bigger head shakes.
Maybe a steering damper would be nice.
Metzeler M7RR are pretty good for a road tyre. Decent grip & feel.
Did have the traction control on most of the sessions.
Even though I previously stated the Duke doesn't need it it was fun slamming full throttle out of corners too aggressively and seeing the bike sort it out.
The new Remus is a bit loud.
Earplugs are a must now.

It is fun playing with the sports bikes and seeing how much later and harder I can brake and comfortably run much tighter lines into a corner.
Corner exit is pretty good too but on the straights I got nothing against them.
Loads of fun still.

See less See more
#5 ·
Did a track day on the new Duke.

Metzeler M7RR are pretty good for a road tyre. Decent grip & feel.
Your comments, and the photos, are very reassuring. I only have a few hundred Kms on my new 690. I've had Metzelers on some BMWs, and liked them, but was curious how they would perform on the Duke.
I have been using Pirelli Rosso Corsas lately on other bikes, and liked them.
I like the idea of the softer shoulders on the M7RRs
Good report, thanks.

#7 ·
@Wiwwee I think the late braking and nimble through the corners was my favourite trait of the 690 Duke R, that would be so much fun on a short twistie circuit. Enjoy.

#10 ·
Another track day done.
Improved my best laptime for the Duke 690 by 1,2 seconds.
Fun day.
Love the Conti Attack SM.
The right foot side footpeg keeps scraping the tarmac on the R on tight 180 turns.
Rearsets might be next on the shopping list.
My bike is completely stock apart from exhaust and battery swap and it is pretty thirsty.
Missed the last session cause ran out of fuel.
143km from filled to the brim to completely empty.

Attachments

#24 ·
Daamn, would be interesting to see how the pr5 would hold up on track. Currently have stock tires on d790, have no idea of their performance on the track:), otherwise was thinking power rs next ?.
Last tires for track i used i had power 2ct, held up ok.

Attachments

#25 ·
Another Finn checking in...

Just curious on what kind of lap times are you running in Alastaro. I haven't been at track this year but last year when I still had A2 restrictions I did around 1.47.X laps with M7RRs.. I have been trying to keep my 690R alive because I'm touring to Austria-GP with it in two weeks time... :wink2:

#32 ·
That is a lot nicer wear pattern than the previous tyres. The contis are a softer tyre and the pressures you are running ? look spot on for that tyre. The road 3s looked like they needed a couple of PSI less but as usual you're working the *** off them :clap::clap::clap:

#33 ·
Power 3 not Road 3.
The PilotPower 3 isn't the sportiest tyre offering from Michelin so can't expect much in track performance really.

The Attack SM Evo is lovely though.
Both on track and on street.

#34 ·
are you running about 30 PSI with the contis. This is what 26 PSI on the Pirelli SC2 looks like

Attachments

#35 ·
I love this pic of my front after the Winton race day

Attachments

#36 ·
I have no idea about psi.
I run between 1,8-2,0 bar
Actually ran closer to 2,0 yeaterday because it was so hot.
Ower 30°Celsius.
At the preferred 1,8 it heats up too much when it's that hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.