KTM Forums banner

ktm roadrace contingency

5K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  cors187 
#1 ·
Looks like KTM is supporting Duke 690 and 360 racers in the USA:

ktmcash.com

I've sent an email to see if a similar offer will be available in Canada. Not particularly hopeful, but would be happy with Canadian Tire money or Tim Horton's coupons....

#7 ·
Joe, saw a guy from MRA selling his 690 Duke on the WERA classified page. #917, I believe.
He is touting the new KTM contingency dollars as a reason to buy his bike and pick up some
easy cash.

He also mentions that he can run with the SV's and air-cooled Ducs. Did you have the same
experience? The reason I am asking is that my "upclass" in AHRMA would put me right in there
with a pack of those same bikes. Seems like wishful thinking to me, but I could be wrong.

Just want to know what I can expect. Thanks

#5 ·
Checked the events list only USA listed...good luck guys bring home the cash

#6 ·
I signed up as well, but being Canadian, I doubt they will do anything for regional races up north. My email to KTM canada has still not been returned.
Might be an excuse to drive down to Brainerd and give that track a try. Watched AMA in 1997 and 1999 and Turn 1 and Turn 2 scared me silly, even from the sidelines....:surprise:

#8 ·
I think the competitiveness of the Duke vs. these bikes is relative to the rider and track. I didn't race last year, just did trackdays at Hastings, NE and my local. My lap times with what I considered my "streetbike" at the time made me realize the Duke would be fun, and somewhat competitive (and I missed racing). Mine has a PCV and an akra exhaust, but stock suspension. I'll be running with Alpha 13s to start the season, and then switch to slicks when I wear those out. I also scored a set of rains and a spare set of wheels for a good price. Aside from a fella on a cheater SV, and another SV guy I battled with when I had my ex650 superbike, I'll be in for a sniff at the podium (unless the Buell 1200 guy shows up!). If it rains, I think I'll be in good shape. Knowing what I know about watching at Brainerd and hearing from others who have raced there, the full course might be tough on the 690 with that LOOOOOOOONG front straight. The Donnybrook configuration would be more suited to the Duke.

#25 ·
If you ever get a chance, you should come on out to Brainerd. The long course is tough on the duke, you spend a lot of time dealing with the existential crisis of "If I did/didn't do XYZ, I wonder if I could go faster than 121mph?" Donnybrook is a hoot though, they grid the Ultra lights with the Feather Weights (R3's) and the Ninja 250's, so it's a lot of fun little battles. You can tell when the KTMs hit the track, they are the loudest thing there.

If you want to do a track day out there, the two groups that do them are ZARS and Road Closed Promotions, both get you a day of riding for about $250 and I think you can camp overnight.

#12 ·
Where did you see that? On the Kato cash page explaining the AHRMA races and payouts, it just
mentions the bikes that are eligible, no talk of the age of the bike. I put my VIN in when I signed
up, so if my '13 did not qualify, I figured they would have flagged it. It may be different for other
organizations, I suppose.

One more thing though. It states you need a minimum of 6 riders in a class make the grid in order for
them to make any payouts. Depends on who shows up on any given weekend.

#20 ·
I would have to agree with the assessment of the 690 vs air cooled ducatis, the 690 is more nimble through the corners although the drive out of uphill corners and down the straights is the ducatis domain. Problem I have is that the big tracks, Eastern Creek and Phillip Island have the finish line very deep in the straights which is very frustrating. The hot 900ss I race against has a 220k top speed which is tough but the 696 monster is very similar to my top end 195k

#21 ·
the 690 is more nimble through the corners although the drive out of uphill corners and down the straights is the
I think this is what lead to our big bore and suspension discussion over christmas.
Wiwwee mentioned a similar thing , i think bolder aswell.
Im guessing those guys are bigger than yourself.

Have or are you racing with a bigger cam motor?. Did any of the team do any back to back testing on cam swap track motors?

#22 ·
Not sure about Wiwwee but Im 100kg a bit heavier than Boldor by all accounts. Given the funds I would definately go the big bore and cam kit but at this time mine is as stock as you get sans the rear shock. Andreani inserts are next as I tend to work the front tyre pretty hard with my weight and all

Attachments

#24 ·
I've almost talked my buddy into racing the 690, I know if he does, i will have to also, we'd be in WERA south east stuff, he's blazing fast, I'm fair at best, we both raced in WERA back in the day, he does track days almost every damn weekend and has tons of cash, I hate him already...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.