Oil Leak KTM 525 EXC - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > KTM Bikes > Offroad Competition RFS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil Leak KTM 525 EXC

I have an oil leak on my bike where the countershaft sproket goes. I replaced the seal and it still leaks the same amount if not more. It is a bad leak, not just a few drops. Any ideas on exactly what parts need replaced besides the seal itself?

Paul
Parker, CO
56BelAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Oil Leak

I replaced my counter sprocket seal for the second time. Originally the leak was really bad. After I replaced the seal the first time the leak was really, really bad.

This is the second time I replaced it. I cleaned the seal, the shaft, and the casing where the seal seats. This time I put a little light coating of RTV black around the seal in an attempt to help.

I am trying to find out if an oil leak from this area is a known problem. If it doesn't get fixed this time I will go ape sh!t. I also replaced the o-ring, and lubed the seal with a light coat of oil.

Thoughts?

Paul
Parker, CO
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default counter sprocket seal leak

I have a 250 exc., IM so glad im not the only one that the countershaft sporocket seal leaks.It started out ,a slow leak.the seal look good.I carefully removed everything, Cleaned the shaft with wd40,Lightly greased shaft and seal,It still leaked.Now I've put a new seal on,and now,it leaks worse.It SUCKS! I have no idea what to do now.And its all over a simple countersprocket seal getting replaced.Ive done topends,a little in total engine teardowns,and I know my way around a motorcycle.But this leak is about to drive me crazy.Would having too much oil in crankcase cause this?

Last edited by exc92; 08-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
exc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Oil Leak

I put RTV black around the perimiter of the seal. That seemed to do the trick. That was the second time I replaced my seal. When I replaced it the first time I made it worse somehow.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default 2007 525exc countershaft oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56BelAir View Post
I have an oil leak on my bike where the countershaft sproket goes. I replaced the seal and it still leaks the same amount if not more. It is a bad leak, not just a few drops. Any ideas on exactly what parts need replaced besides the seal itself?

Paul
Parker, CO
I am having the same problem with my 2007 525exc. I have replaced the shaft seal and the leak has slowed, but has not stopped.

Like paul, I would like to know if there is another solution for this leak.

Thanks,

WhiteCa
WHITECA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56BelAir View Post

Paul
Parker, CO
Paul,
The only ways oil can get out, is too small a shaft, or too big a seal.
Check the shaft for a groove. if found replace.
Check local parts houses or industrial suppliers for a smaller seal.
Sometimes an american (sae) seal is just enough smaller than it's metric counterpart that it will work.
mike
buena vista, colo
flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Having just alittle too much oil in crankcase would cause it to leak.Also,a aftermarket front sprocket is thinner than factory,which would not make a good seal against the oil ring.I had renthal front sprocket ,I could move in and out ,oil would look like it was coming out of the c-clip.I put a KTM sprocket, no oil leak,and Icould not move it left or right anymore.
exc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default oil leak

Got it fixed. I took it into a shop, not sure what trick they did to get it to stop.

Paul
Parker, CO
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

just went through this ..KTM says to reseal ignition case with jb weld ..apply on engine side only ..for future removel.i went through 3 seals before i found out where the leak was coming from.the ignition side has oil in to ..just a new gasket wont help..if you can find one anyway.i did what they said and now ive got a nice clean engine again.
peterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Clean the area with degreaser. Check your oil levels, and take it for a ride. When you get home play detective. Let it run out and get down there with a flashlight and find out exactly where itís coming from. Hope you didnít crack the case when the chain broke. Might just be the seal for the clutch slave. Could be be the seal behind the front sprocket. If itís really had to figure where itís coming from, you can clean, dry, and then spray with some of that foot powder you have lying around in the medicine chest. It comes out white, and the oil will leave a trail through it.
Advertisement