Ktm 400 Exc Clutch Pressure Problem - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Ktm 400 Exc Clutch Pressure Problem

G'Day, Ktm 400 Exc 2001 model.
ok the story goes. last ride lost the clutch over a 30min period to nothing. checked it out and only looked like it was going to be simple, the slave cylinder had rubbed away on its housing and scored it up pretty bad causing the seal to fail. tried a larger o ring to no avail. so ended up getting my hands on a cheap 2006 one. which i had check with ktm and was same part number. only my old one was a superseded model. the new model comes with a cir clip on the reverse side to stop the slave cylinder coming completely out of its housing no big deal. (so i thought and still think???y/n) after back bleeding the system everything was going fine. fired it up to take it for a run and WOWthe clutch has gone completely soft nothing there at all??? shocked at this we bleed the system again and again every way possible to make sure no sneaky bubbles were in our way. again on start up the clutch goes soft! the master cylinder is under 12months old the slave cylinder has just been replaced and working fine the whole system has no leaks or deffects anywhere and feels great ready to ride untill you turn the bike on. after stuffing around with the clutch side of things for days trying every little thing could find on the net remotely close to this problem including checking crank exhaust emissions an't blocked. oil lines and holes still flowing and an't obstructed. well all the ones we could test and try anyways. clutch disk not warpped or bent. and just this arvo we found with the clutch case still off if someone pulls the clutch in and another puts pressure on the pressure piece connected to the push rod the clutch goes soft? depending on how much you push on it depends on how quick it goes soft. and then you just pump the clutch and it starts to come back again. so when the engine is on the engine pressure is pushing on the piece and giving you the soft clutch? the clutch plates move normally along with the pressure plate everything seems normal except around the rod, pressure piece bolt thing and the pressure plate bearing. when we first opened it up the pressure piece was stuck that firm in the pressure plate and bearing we had to use alot of effort to free it up and pop it out? now how tight does the pressure piece have to be inside that bearing as it still has to be able to move but not get stuck? so we shimmed it a bit to a snug fit but so it still could move. but still the same problem continues???? any advice or help would be appreciated guys

oh and a side note was only 5 hours ride time ago the stator had snapped off and had been eating into the flywheel which left alot of metal shavings everywhere but flushed the system 3 times till it was pure. incase this could contributed somehow?

Cheers,

AussieMick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
What the curtains?

Exclamation

AussieMick, welcome.

I will pose your questions to some one with more expertise
in clutch issue than I have.

Will put their reply here soon.

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
AussieMick, welcome.

I will pose your questions to some one with more expertise
in clutch issue than I have.

Will put their reply here soon.

Thanks, that would be great mate cheers

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
What the curtains?

Reply from DJH

Don't ask me what he means, but hre is a reply from DJH (David):

"Standard problem on bike of that era, history;
2000 model had a clutch that spun on a bronze bushing (needed lots of oil) so the routed oil pressure passage into the cavity between the slave and the left side mainshaft bearing so oil would flow thru the main shaft and into the clutch. The oil pressure build up at revs simply pushed the slave cylinder back in so all the fluid in the system flows backwards to the master cylinder, then when you pull the clutch the lever is floppy.
2001 they changed the clutch to a needle bearing which does not need the oil but did they change the oil system, uh not until 2003. Welcome to how KTM deals with problems.
Good news is we have a fix, un-bolt the slave and set it aside, looking in you will see an orange plastic ring, that is the seal of a sealed one side bearing. All we need to do, I use a ice pic, just peal back an edge of that seal, go in with needle nose pliers and rip it out. Now the oil flows into the trans, no pressure build up, clutch works like its supposed to. Done many of 'em"
serialize likes this.

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Now that sounds promising! ! ! ! my poor mechanics got no hair left after this job!
Bajadog "thanks heaps" for chasing that reply up for me
and let David know much appreciated for his knowledge from his ktm mainframe LOL "who the hell knows something like that"
will see how it goes tomorrow and keep yous posted.
THANKS AGAIN.

Aussiemick.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks Sooooooo Much For The Help! behind the bearing apparently was alot of those metal shavings from the flywheel trouble trapped. also replaced the pressure plate bearing and its all sorted! much appreciated can't thank yous enuff

Aussiemick...

(Ps: hope this thread saves someone else alot of pain and frustration)
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM

I did this to my 2002 400 exc last night. Thanks alot it worked great. Thanks for the good info.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Is this something I should do to my 05 EXC 400? I have it apart right now replacing the o-ring. Mine keeps losing pressure as well.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Do you see the orange rubber seal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Actually I already put it back together and didn't look to see. I had a hard time bleeding it but it looks like it is going to hold. We'll see after I get the valves checked and the rest of it put back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode