KTM Forums banner

Fitting a 640 wheel to an rfs bike?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  DW 
#1 ·
Just want to put a cush drive on the 525 as I will be using it a lot more on bitumen and want to save the box a bit.
I'm thinking if you flip the 640 wheel around so the sprocket and brake are on the right side and you have the correct spacers, it might work?

Has anyone done this before?

#3 ·
It will work, as I've read some folks on
ADVrider discussing it.

I think you'll want to look at 2003 and up, as it has the
same diameter rear axle. I'll see if I can find said thread.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks guys, It doesn't worry me what size really cors, just as long as it has a cush drive. Thanks for the link Baja. I can buy a complete new matching set of wheels with the rear having a cush drive for around 800, but I was thinking someone might have a busted 640 lying around and is parting it out. I have even contemplated a set of motards and keep the normal wheels for when I'm going bush, but with motards if I want to go bitumen and bush it will be a little hard.

It might all be on the back burner now as today I took the 525 for a thrash with just shorts and pluggers on. when I was popping a wheely I was getting fluids burning my legs, so I pulled up and I don't know what I have done wrong in the rebuild, but there was coolant seeping from the head gasket and oil leaking from somewhere in the top end. First time I have used a cheap aftermarket gasket kit, so I don't think I will buy one of them again. Lucky it was only my bike.:frown2:

Reactions: cors187
#6 ·
Wow that's a tough lesson to learn DW.

I'll keep an eye out for cush hubs (would you consider having a wheel laced locally?).

#7 ·
I can lace them, but it is a pet hate. I would rather just buy the complete wheel and true it up if I had to. I will probably end up just buying a new set. I will get this thing back together first. Very disappointed with myself, first rfs I have balzed up.

#9 ·
KTMtalk has mentioned those. Everyone says to replace the bearing straight away.
They don't recommend them for folks that don't or can't check their
spoke tension.

#11 ·
If you don't mind a little fiddling around, why not get them.

#12 ·
I found some

I found some motard rims. Very interesting, they are actually honda cbr rims, modified to fit a 525. They came complete with axles, spacers larger disc and caliper space bracket. Everything I need to bolt them straight up. The other advantage is because they are road bike wheels they have a cush drive and they are all alloy, no spokes to tune and best of all they are black.
The only issue I think I might have is I don't know how much torque the cush drive will handle. They are designed for a cbr250/300 so the 525 might go through a few cush drive rubbers.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.