2011 350sxf 100 hours re-freshing the bike - Page 3 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Next the piston can come off.
I had an oil burning problem and was expecting to see a very back oil scraper or comp ring but they looked okay, as well as the overall condition of the piston. The pads were worn off as they should be and I could have probably used a new piston much sooner (at 150 hours now), but other than some oil consumption the bike was still very powerful, fast and snappy so waited until now (winter time).

To take the piston out, make sure to put a good sized rag around the con-rod blocking any possibility of something falling into the bottom end. This is very important because if something falls down there its a full engine rebuild including a bottom end tear down.
Using a strong pick or very small tipped screwdriver, remove the piston writst-pin circlip on one side only. Push the wrist-pin through from the other side to get it out. It was very snug so I used the handle-end of a small screwdriver covered with a rag to push it out of the cod-rod making sure not to mark or damage the wrist-pin. You can look at the top of your piston to note the part numbers from Vertex. It also shows the arrow that points towards the exhaust side so you know which direction it installs for later (the new one should have an indicator also).

https://goo.gl/photos/TdJkQpPaEE5BZaQR9

Finally, you can take a look at the con-rod condition and for excessive play in the rod bearing by checking side to side movement feeling for click or shift at the bearing. I'm not familiar with what wear to look for in the bottom end and I am just assuming it should be okay as it's outside the scope of my top end build and far beyond my knowledge or skill.

https://goo.gl/photos/3SwwMQSbXGPndFP99

Last edited by serialize; 12-14-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode