KTM Forums banner

2012 KTM 450 SX-F Questions

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cors187 
#1 ·
Had a few questions to ask all you KTM folks. Recently purchased a KTM 450 SXF last year and I had multiple questions on it.

1. I took it to the track and after riding I realized that I was bottoming out pretty hard and it was hitting my exhaust starting to rub the sticker off and get tire marks on it.

2. After hitting the track I got home and washed it up and realized that it is leaking on the bottom of my fork and was wondering what I would need to purchase to fix this? A revalve and seals?

3. My bike has been in the winter in the garage staying cold and the battery has been sitting on the tuner charging and I went to start it up today and it was giving enough juice for about two full turns (3-4 seconds) and then after that the electricity started turning very very slowly. Could this be any cause to a carburetor or is this all battery? Curious if it needed to be cleaned.

4. My clutch lever is leaking fluid on it lately from unknown reasons, I haven't wrecked it or anything but was wondering why it was causing this. Do I need to buy a new clutch lever to make it stop or how do I fix this problem?

5. My most important question is if I am to purchase a revalve/seals, how much is this going to cost me to revalve my shock and forks? Does it make a huge difference, and the guy before me weighed 195 lbs with gear and I weigh 196 lbs without gear and 213 lbs with, I was planning on losing 5-10 lbs but I was curious if I should still get a stiffer shock if I am going to hit the local MX track a few times a year? What size of spring should I get for the front and back and how much would those cost as well. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Truthfully I have never checked the valve clearances, bought the bike like 4 months ago and rode it probably 8 times. I took it to the track once and thats when the forks became a wreck and yeah, it leaked quite a bit so I feel like I would need to add new fork fluid and I am going to take it in to Bent Lever in Washington and get it fixed up from the people their. The guy before me always took the bike there.

#4 ·
I did my own fork seals many times.
I did my 690 when i got it and in all honesty i would give the film plastic trick a try.
Lift the font tire off the ground, push the plastic up there to push out some filmy substance thats just lifting the seal a little.
Then take off the fork top caps and measure+/- , fill with a little fluid.Refit

Surely its been done 1000's of times at the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.