KTM Forums banner

Manual cam chain tensioner

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cors187 
#1 ·
Hi there, i just recieved my Nihilo manual cam chain tensioner for my 2012 ktm 350 exc-f in the post and it came with a piece to block off the oil jet which squirts oil into the oem cct. the instructions say i need to remove the jet and tap the hole with a 6x1mm tap and then install the blocking piece. Do i need to install this piece?? Where is that oil jet even located? i cant even find it lol. Any help is much appreciated :smile2: :wink2:

#2 ·
i copied this from their website
The Nihilo Concepts Manual Cam Chain Tennsioner forces more oil to the head and crank assembly extending motor life and eliminating engine destroying can tennisioner failure. The KTM Stock Tennsioners are Hydraulic and pull oil from the system to make them operate. In the case of low oil pressure the stock unit can allow the chain to jump destroying the motor. Don't take a chance with the stock component install the Nihilo Manual Tennsioner for worry free operation. By blocking off the oil jet that is intended to pressurize the stock Tennsioner, more oil is forced to the very important valve train and crank assembly. This is very important with any race motor or for anyone that does not want to take a chance with the stock hydraulic unit. The Tennsioner comes with an oil jet block off plug. On the 450 you simply replace the stock jet with the plug, it screws right in. On the 350 you will need to tap the oil jet hole to receive the plug.

Nihilo KTM 450/350 SX/XC Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Instructions
1. Remove stock tensioner from motor, keep the brass washer for use with new tensioner. Clean Area around opening carefully.
2. Remove the Torx head oil jet from left side of tensioner opening carefully. You may need to heat the area in order to remove jet. Do not use open flame to heat.
3. Install the supplied Allen head block off plug in place of oil jet (Use blue Loctite)You will need to tap the 350SXF head with a 6x1mm tap to install the plug. Put some grease on the tap so chips will stick to the tap and not go into the motor.
4. With your new manual tensioner in hand, back the bolt all the way in until the head touches the tensioner. Keep the nut loose at this time.
5. Install the new tensioner into head using stock brass washer and tighten securely. Make sure brass washer is centered and new tensioner seats all the way in.
6. With your fingers, tighten the bolt until it comes in contact with the can chain guide and allow it to touch solidly.
7. With a 6mm wrench, tighten the bolt an additional ¼ turn into the chain guide.
8. Now tighten the nut against the tensioner making sure the bolt does not move and the O ring is in place.

You are ready to ride, by blocking off the oil jet you have allowed more oil to flow to the top end of you motor and lubricate the cams and followers. Check tension regularly but do not over tighten. If you have any additional questions call 855-4Nihilo toll free and ask for tech support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.