500,450exc fuel injected TPS adjustment to richen mixture and eliminate flame out. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

500,450exc fuel injected TPS adjustment to richen mixture and eliminate flame out.

My 2013 500exc was running very lean from the factory as they all are. I had a problem with the bike dying out at traffic lights and in tight single track riding. It did not happen all the time, mostly when grabbing some throttle when at idle and in first gear. I considered a jd tunner piggy back 200$. Then I read about this placed doing something called a magic mod 100$. You send in your throttle body and they change something (they wont explain) and then they send it back to you and suddenly your bike runs better and richer. ????? I thought about this a little and wondered if they were slotting the mounting hole on the throttle position sensor to trick the computer to richen the mixture across the entire rpm range. If you turn the throttle position sensor it will think the throttle is open further then it actually is and add more fuel. Just like changing a jet on a carb.

I pulled back the TPS cover on my bike and low and behold the throttle position sensor mounting hole is allready slotted. First the sensor is marked from the factory with a maker line in its original factory mounted position. I removed the sensor and checked what way the inside turns when the throttle is open. So if you loosen the T25 torx mounting bolt and the sensor housing is turned counter clockwise the computer will think the throttle is open further then it really is. This will make your bike run richer for free free free free!! No piggy back and no hard to find Euro tune fron a dealer. And no paying 100$ for a bull**** magic tune.
The difference is immediately noticable. If your go as far as possible it will be very rich and you will need to raise the idle speed. I am still playing with mine, but I can tell you my throttle response is much better. I can crack that throttle as fast as I can and it responds immediatly. I have found a guy on Thumper talk who gives specs using a so called tps sensor tool. I think it just a volt meter to help dial this in. He says his runs well at .64 volts compaired to the factory .60 volts. I think you will need to back probe the connector and use a volt meter to get these readings. But I am just going to try a couple of different settings and see what works best for me. I think I am a little rich now. Remember if you turn the sensor the wrong way (clockwise) it will get leaner and just make it worse. I just wanted to spread the word.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM

i had a feeling thats what they did, good find!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
What the curtains?

Great write up.

I'm going to stick your post for others to find easier.

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Forum Junkie

2013 500XC-W

I just want everyone to know, i endorse these statements 100%.

worked great. i was going to remap, but i know longer feel its needed. An advance ignition timing would be nice, but is really needed? No. Thats why i bought a 500 and not a 450.

I do want to add, that i found not much adjustment was needed. i advanced CC to max and it wwouldnt turn over. i continued to retard a little at a time until i felt the bike running and resonding smoothly. Its now a very snappy now and has a healthy idle. I will say if you dont know what youre listening for, dont bother messing with this mod. Im sure if i had an FMF exhaust, id really see some gains from adjusting the TPS.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM

measurements

Where you able to take precise measurements as to exactly how many degrees or millimeters you rotated the TPS sensor.

I have a 2012 KTM 500 and I'm considering sending my TB off to have the MagicMod done.....But if I can get it done for free, that's even better.

Counter Clockwise or Clockwise and how many degrees or millimeters did you adjust it.....?

Wherever you go......there you are....

Lots of stuff going down here......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I took the bike for a short ride and let it get fully warm. I loosened the t25 torx that holds down the sensor and rotated counter clockwise until the bike idled very smoothly. It is very noticable.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

After playing with this adjustment further over a longer time and in warmer weather. My bike runs best with the sensor set in the full rich adjustment. Turned counter clockwise as far as the slotted hole will allow. It does not completely eliminate the flame out problem, but it will GReatly reduce this annoying problem. I thought this may be a problem with the new fuel injection system. I was riding with a friend who has a carburated 450 and his was dying out more then mine.
Dirt350 likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 PM

tps problem

you may want to check out dirt rider page. when i perchased my 2009 450exc they had tested one and had the jetting solution for lean conditions and backfiring. when i talked to my lbs they new the solution i mentioned and it has been great for me from 30 degrees to 90 degrees. I am not a racer so i may not have your needs. i would put put with my 6yold and ride hard with c vets.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
After playing with this adjustment further over a longer time and in warmer weather. My bike runs best with the sensor set in the full rich adjustment. Turned counter clockwise as far as the slotted hole will allow. It does not completely eliminate the flame out problem, but it will GReatly reduce this annoying problem. I thought this may be a problem with the new fuel injection system. I was riding with a friend who has a carburated 450 and his was dying out more then mine.

Came across this thread after mine 'died' a couple of times, and seemed very lean - especially low-down. Just done mine (Fully turned anti-clockwise) and will test later.

Will be sure to reply with my 'findings' !!

Also posted in your EXC headlight upgrade thread !

Cheers.

Regards Shuv - 2009 KTM EXC-F 250
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 AM

Well, tried my TPS in a few positions inc fully turned counter clockwise and same old story.

I've only had the bike a week, but at this point it barely ticks over. Trying to up the tickover when bike is fully warm makes little or no difference either.

Seeing as the bike was a year old, and only had 74 miles on it - and came with 3/4 of a tank of fuel: I also drained out the old and done 20 miles with fresh fuel in.

Bike is still awful from cold, and barely ticks-over when warm.

What next ?

Regards Shuv - 2009 KTM EXC-F 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode