oil change for "new" bikes - Page 2 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum > General Discussion > Oil and Lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

thank you guys for the back up...919 0n the way..still thing ktm is a cool bike...rotella 15/40 has become a popular oil in metrics bikes in the U.S
maybektm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybektm View Post
thank you guys for the back up...919 0n the way..still thing ktm is a cool bike...rotella 15/40 has become a popular oil in metrics bikes in the U.S

Yes because of the initial cost. I prefer to look at cost per mile of Ownership.

Also depends on if you are an average 3000 mile a year rider or a high mileage per year rider.

Some people also prefer Yugo's over Mercedes..

Bob S.

For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or Toll Free 1-877-356-6099

Motorcycle Oil Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
Yes because of the initial cost. I prefer to look at cost per mile of Ownership.

Also depends on if you are an average 3000 mile a year rider or a high mileage per year rider.

Some people also prefer Yugo's over Mercedes..

Bob S.
not as much the cost.. think it has more to do with the 150.000 mile oil change intervals diesel use and a favorit is rotella ..no oil is tested more then oil in diesel long haul trucking outfits that use oil cooled turbo motors...look amsoil is good just like the other top five oil makers out there... weather you ride 3000 miles a year or 10,000 miles a year...id rather change oil twice or three times a year on a bike them worry about going 10.000 miles and getting my moneys worth out of amsoil ... somehow running dirty oil with clutch plate wear going through my motor dont interest me...yugo over mercedes..thats a marketing ploy they teach.and probably a little insulting to people your trying to win over...im a member of atleast 7 motorcycle forum and every forum had a amsoil dealer stop buy at one time or another try making a sales pitch then they get run off because know one falled for the sales pitch thousands and thousands of bikers and motor builders and your smart and everyone else has no clue...i understand your trying to make a living bob...but tricky sayings and bar grafts never closed a deal
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Running around knees bent

Personally my oil change interval, even with synthetic, is
around 1500 miles if I ride a lot of off road.

I don't do a full change, just the drain the frame and
the engine.

I do the full filter/oil change at 3000.

Never had an engine fail from oil related problems, in fact my
ex '03 EXC had 14K miles on if before I did the top end.

2011 Husaberg TE 300
2004 BMW 1150 RT
2002 640 LC4e

Past Rides
'03 KTM 450 EXC (SOLD)
'01 Honda XR650R (SOLD)
'00 KTM 520 EXC (SOLD)
'98 Honda XR600R (SOLD)
'95 KTM 620 RXC (SOLD)
'88 Yamaha TT600 (SOLD)
'86 Yamaha XT 350 (SOLD)
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450 (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom (SOLD)
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400 (SOLD)
'77 Yamaha DT200 (SOLD)
'70 Honda CT70 (SOLD)
bajadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

mineral oil is so highley refined now it can be classified as syn oil....most cars recommend 7000 to 10.000 miles before oil change and thats with regular mineral oil that how good oil has become... refinements packages additives ..truth is cars wear out way before there motors do now a days...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
not as much the cost.. think it has more to do with the 150.000 mile oil change intervals diesel use and a favorit is rotella ..no oil is tested more then oil in diesel long haul trucking outfits that use oil cooled turbo motors...look amsoil is good just like the other top five oil makers out there... weather you ride 3000 miles a year or 10,000 miles a year...id rather change oil twice or three times a year on a bike them worry about going 10.000 miles and getting my moneys worth out of amsoil ... somehow running dirty oil with clutch plate wear going through my motor dont interest me...yugo over mercedes..thats a marketing ploy they teach.and probably a little insulting to people your trying to win over...im a member of atleast 7 motorcycle forum and every forum had a amsoil dealer stop buy at one time or another try making a sales pitch then they get run off because know one falled for the sales pitch thousands and thousands of bikers and motor builders and your smart and everyone else has no clue...i understand your trying to make a living bob...but tricky sayings and bar grafts never closed a deal
Lets keep the record straight here..

No trucking outfit goes 150,000 miles on Rotella, Longest drain intervals are 50,000 (Mercedes Class 8) and must be on a Synthetic

As for me, I have over 35 years mechanical background. During the early days of my career, I realized the oil is the Lifeblood of your engine and the filter is the Kidney that keeps it clean. Since then, I have always promoted using nothing but the very best if you want the most out of what you have invested hard earned money for.

Reasonable results can be had by using a good petroleum oil and a good filter. Superior results can be had by using a Premium Synthetic and a Premium Filter.

I don't "worry" about 10,000 on a drain interval as I have verified it with analysis. So there is no "Dirty" oil.

I don't use "Marketing Ploys" the Yugo/Mercedes is meant as some people want to buy a better vehicle, that is why you bought a KTM I assume, and some people don't and will buy those Korean Copy Cats. AMSOIL is the largest manufacturer of Synthetic MotorCycle oil and a very close #2 in Automotive. You always have your bad apples in no matter what your field is. If I was just a "Hit and Run" AMSOIL Dealer, I wouldn't have been in this for 25 years and invested all the money I have to learn about oils and filtration. If we were those guys, we wouldn't be a Site Sponsor.

I personally am an active member of over 30 MotorCycle Forums so maybe we have crossed paths.

As far as "Bar Graphs"... We use ASTM Testing that is both performed by AMSOIL and 3 of the Top Independent Testing Facilities in the US. At least one of them is a Non-Profit. They utilize ASTM and SAE Tests for a reason. They can be duplicated precisely every single time by anyone who follows the outlined procedures.

After that, AMSOIL tests their products in real life using control vehicles and circumstances.

Bob S.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
Lets keep the record straight here..

No trucking outfit goes 150,000 miles on Rotella, Longest drain intervals are 50,000 (Mercedes Class 8) and must be on a Synthetic

As for me, I have over 35 years mechanical background. During the early days of my career, I realized the oil is the Lifeblood of your engine and the filter is the Kidney that keeps it clean. Since then, I have always promoted using nothing but the very best if you want the most out of what you have invested hard earned money for.

Reasonable results can be had by using a good petroleum oil and a good filter. Superior results can be had by using a Premium Synthetic and a Premium Filter.

I don't "worry" about 10,000 on a drain interval as I have verified it with analysis. So there is no "Dirty" oil.

I don't use "Marketing Ploys" the Yugo/Mercedes is meant as some people want to buy a better vehicle, that is why you bought a KTM I assume, and some people don't and will buy those Korean Copy Cats. AMSOIL is the largest manufacturer of Synthetic MotorCycle oil and a very close #2 in Automotive. You always have your bad apples in no matter what your field is. If I was just a "Hit and Run" AMSOIL Dealer, I wouldn't have been in this for 25 years and invested all the money I have to learn about oils and filtration. If we were those guys, we wouldn't be a Site Sponsor.

I personally am an active member of over 30 MotorCycle Forums so maybe we have crossed paths.

As far as "Bar Graphs"... We use ASTM Testing that is both performed by AMSOIL and 3 of the Top Independent Testing Facilities in the US. At least one of them is a Non-Profit. They utilize ASTM and SAE Tests for a reason. They can be duplicated precisely every single time by anyone who follows the outlined procedures.

After that, AMSOIL tests their products in real life using control vehicles and circumstances.

Bob S.
rotella 15 /40 is a syn oil. truck motors run million or more miles..50 thousand miles is to short of a time span for them, i read 150.000 using rotella t...thats shells motor oil record. and truckers.....its all good bob....problem with amsoil its a pain in the *** the get and cost way to much money ..average person decides to get an oil change on the spur of the moment ..they dont plan ahead to order there oil through the mail ... usually when spare money is available and time the get the oil changed ..and changing oil on motorcycles usually less then 3000 miles... all the syn oils hold up and do well..........its consistent oil changing not the brand thats the key to a long running motor...i dont know any people who run amsoil ...I know its a good oil ,,, but untill i see it on a shelf side by side with other oils at the same price im not paying the money over another oil that is proven itself through the years...i can see you just joined this forum like all the other forums you dont last long then move on to the next forum..your a salesman bob and most people dislike salesman because they have one goal to pad there own pockets
Old 03-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
rotella 15 /40 is a syn oil. truck motors run million or more miles..50 thousand miles is to short of a time span for them, i read 150.000 using rotella t...thats shells motor oil record. and truckers.....its all good bob....problem with amsoil its a pain in the *** the get and cost way to much money ..average person decides to get an oil change on the spur of the moment ..they dont plan ahead to order there oil through the mail ... usually when spare money is available and time the get the oil changed ..and changing oil on motorcycles usually less then 3000 miles... all the syn oils hold up and do well..........its consistent oil changing not the brand thats the key to a long running motor...i dont know any people who run amsoil ...I know its a good oil ,,, but untill i see it on a shelf side by side with other oils at the same price im not paying the money over another oil that is proven itself through the years...i can see you just joined this forum like all the other forums you dont last long then move on to the next forum..your a salesman bob and most people dislike salesman because they have one goal to pad there own pockets
You have obviously drawn a conclusion about me without knowing the facts.

I am personally on many Forums and AMSOIL Dealer Group is on 20 some forums as a Site Sponsor. So neither I or the group are here to just hit and run. I haven't done this for 25 years by doing hit and run.

Without special filtration, there is no way Rotella can go 150,000.. Also, you are comparing an engine that is relatively easy on oil except for soot and fuel dilution which you don't have to worry about in your M/C or gasoline equipment. Of course, with that special filtration, I know of diesels approaching 500,000 miles on AMSOIL.... When compaing Cost per mile.... We exceed the competition hands down.

I can't post pricing, but anyone that wishes to check out our pricing can PM us for the lowest possible prices. I also think it is less pain to call someone like us and have The Big Brown Truck drop it on their door than have to wade through a parking lot and wait in line to pay for it.

You are also incorrect about consistent oil changing.. Yes, rgular oil changes will keep an engine running well.. At A Cost... My very abused work van has 347,000 miles, in which your scenario would be well over 100 oil changes... I've done it in less than 15 oil changes.

I really think this is going no where and needs to leave the thread. If you would like to continue through PM's please do. I love a challenge.

Bob S.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Let's see, we are trying to compare an engine that is relatively easy on oil (Diesel) with a 44 qt or more Sump capacity with a common Sump engine that holds less than 1/10 the amount of oil, beats the tar out of it and is about equivalent to the type of machine that makes grease ?

I would like a link to where Rotella can go 150,000 miles on a drain interval without By-Pass Filtration. I worked at a Diesel Shop in Orlando and even the new Cat C-Series was only going 28-32,000 over the road miles using oil analysis and Rotella.

What I am surprised hasn't been brought up is that Rotella Fully Synthetic is a Hydro-Cracked oil and the Shell MSDS states it is a Petroleum oil. Only allowed to call itself synthetic by law due to Castrol winning a lawsuit years ago. Most purists will not consider a Group III oil a Synthetic, only Group IV and V.

Doc
Oil Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

all sounds good doc and bob have a good day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement