KTM Forums banner

SHARK Speed-R helmet

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  RidersDiscount 
#1 · (Edited)
Sup forum bros and lurkers,

I just wanted to give a short write up on this helmet because there is little to no information on both SHARK and their Speed-R helmet line. I also had a pretty hard time finding a place to order a shark helmet other than revzilla. I dont like revzilla at all. So instead i contacted Mike at RIDERSDISCOUNT.com because ive ordered a ton of gear from them and hes helped me out with every question ive ever had about any of the products ive been interested in, and also always given me a better deal than any other gear website has.

So with the info ridersdiscount.com gave about shark i went ahead and made a blind leap of faith in buying a helmet i had never tried on, or even seen in person. Well, i honestly couldnt be happier with my purchase. It was much better than expected. Im coming from a SHOEI RF-1100 that i enjoyed slipping over my dome. I had tried all the usual suspects on like Arai, AGV, Suomy, Shoei, etc. Even the lower tier helmets just for the purpose of leaving no stone un-turned.

Ridersdiscount doesnt keep SHARK in stock, so they had to order it for me. A few short days later, the helmet arrived at my door step. Upon picking up the box the helmet was shipped in, i could instantly tell this helmet was lighter than my RF-1100.

At first glance, the finish of the helmet is TOP NOTCH. Just feeling around the helmet with your hand you can easily tell it is high quality and designed/built to exceed the expectations of the average moto helmet. The fit of the helmet is true to the sizing chart and Extremely comfortable on my melon. The fabric and padding are "plush" to say the least. There are no pressure points that i have noticed, at one point i wore the helmet for two solid hours on a ride. I especially like the way it fits around the ears with minimal contact. So i have no soreness on my ears from them being smashed to my head like the rf1100 did. The down side to the way it covers your ears is it makes the helmet less quiet than others ive worn, which really isnt an issue because its still quiet to the point i have no hearing ring after hours of riding. Also, the helmet has little to no drag at high speeds and thus doesnt lift off of your head, doesnt wobble and doesnt whistle.

The two strongest points of the helmet, in my opinion, are:

1) the retractable dark visor. i love it! Compared to the other companies that use this function, shark has surpassed them by far with their version of it. it slides smoothly up and down. the knob itself is stout and not flimsy like other brands. It is tinted perfectly to keep you from squinting in direct sunlight. the only thing that could make it better is if it was polarized haha.

2) the exterior clear shield. Shark talks about this in their speed-r description. looking through the shield was very impressive, atleast to my eyes. the clarity is superb and unlike any shield ive ever looked through. It is very thick and also hindged nicely with adjustable resistance. i give it a 9/10. Minus 1 point because the visor lock makes it hard to lift up at times.

The last aspect i would like to point out is the air flow. The air flow of the helmet is awesome! Both the lower and the upper vents give you a noticeable flow of air that keep your head cool and might even make your head cold in lower temps. The breath guard is also very effective with keeping the visor from fogging up.

here are the pics:

i have no connection to shark or ridersdiscount whatsoever. i just felt it was necessary to give a write up/review because i was so impressed with both companies. Im sure if you have ever ordered from ridersdiscount, you would agree with me. I need to send Mike a case of beers for getting me this helmet.

My name is The Wolf, and i condone this message.

See less See more
#4 ·
#prideneverdie bruh! hunto for champ in 2013 {IT COULD HAPPEN}

I been on forums since their inception. thats where mma lived/survived when the worl wrote it off for novelty sports. unfortunately, mma is a far cry from what it once was.

ANYHOO..

CUSTOM PAINT! i agree. thats why i never buy the cheesy "art" or "graphic" clad helmets. Solid is a solid choice for me, because i can always get it painted.

#8 · (Edited)
Well no helmet ages well because they should only be in use for 5 years. just comparing my shoei next to my shark, the shark is a much better quality helmet. i dont really see how the shark will age faster than the shoei. how fragile it is, on the other hand, i wont be testing. I take care of all my gear like an ocd person. Its NOT going to be dropped and its gonna stay in its case when its not on my head.

now pick up an icon/scorpion/hjc/etc.. those helmets feel fragile to me.

#10 ·
the race r is what i wanted, but didnt want to risk that kind of money on a brand ive never seen or held before. the race r will be my next helmet. with the fit of my helmet is amazing and its the only helmet that ive ever actually FELT the air flowing through.

#12 ·
I have the Bell RS-1, and it's nice. The photochromic visor, while expensive, is absolutely worth the price of admission.

Gonna need a new spare helmet this year; my Signet GT-R is well over 7 years old now, and my Profile hits 5 in August. Might get a Star if I can deal with the price. I almost bought one at Laguna Seca last year -- wish I had now.

Wolf -- I'm impressed with the sizing on the Shark; I tried them on a few years ago and even their XL was too small for me. Think they've scaled 'em up a bit?

#13 ·
Well in most helmets i wear an xl. my shoei is an xl. i have a big head with long hair too.

like i said in the review, the helmet feels snug, or smaller than you might be used to, but it quickly formed to the shape of my head. It is different than i am used to, but it didnt take long for me to adapt to the form fitting feel and all the padding. My shoei now feels like it doesnt have enough padding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.