KTM Forums banner

Whats the best aftermarket headlight?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Baja Designs 
#1 ·
I have searched for threads about headlights every which way I could type it, and always comes back with no results. So I guess I'll just ask.

Whats the best headlight kit? I'm mostly interested in dual sport/off road, but list the best you know of for all applications so others can find the info as well.
Good ones, bad ones. Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
friggin' LIGHTS!

Since my last post in this thread, I have upgraded my weak, dim, puny little yellow headlight.....I replaced it with a crisp, white, HID....I mounted a set of 1000 lumen LED's on the forks right above the fender....I mounted a set of 1200 lumen LED's on the handlebars....And I mounted two more 1000 lumen LED'S onto my helmet with quick releases that plug in via curly cord....I operate them all individually or together from a sealed aluminum switch box with mini toggles at my left thumb, and they require barely any juice to operate....BAD ***! I ride at night quite a bit in the northern Rockies, so now I can see freakin' everything....Each set of LED's mounted on the bike are at different angles surrounding the headlight for a real nice, wide area of illumination into the ditches and trees, and the helmet mounted set allows me to see exactly where I am looking at all times, so now I don't miss that entire herd of elk crossing my trail, the mule deer hopping the fence and heading my way, the beavers scuttling into the water, the jack rabbit that wants to race, or miscalculate the invariable wet rocks, roots and ruts, or get jousted by the crazy sharp tree limb jutting towards me ...Pretty sure I resemble a UFO cruising through the forest at night, I love it! I can also get off the bike with the helmet lights on and make adjustments etc, due to the curly cord extending about 5 feet...I used CCTV camera pug ends to be able to disconnect quickly, or when I get chucked off hitting the hard-pack deep rut all wrong, it will not rip the cord connections to pieces...The LED's are Cree, they are fairly affordable and easy to mount...I have already replaced one on the helmet set, it was bogus and quit after half a dozen rides, and I made some new heavy duty "U" brackets for the handlebar mounts, as they were quite cheesy stamped steel and the LC-4 vibration factor cracked them pretty quickly, but otherwise, YAY!.:rockon:

#8 ·
Great info guys. Going to stick this thread if no one minds.

#9 ·
Good thread. I am doing a headlight as we speak.

Can you also include in your post whether you used the original Stator or had to do an upgrade? I want to keep my original stator if possible.

Some of the LED kits I see have a remote battery pack. Is that ok with most of you? How long do the batteries last? One trip, two trips or several months?

Rockymountainrider, would you post a picture or two of what the lights look like mounted on your bike and helmut? Thanks

Helluva first post I know but what the heck. I just jumped right in!

#12 ·
If you're looking for an H4 replacement, you'll have a hard time beating this one. It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/7000-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-Bulb_p_169.html

If you're looking for Some Aux Lights, I can highly recommend these if you're looking for a TRUE spot.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHP2E8S[/ame]
The beam spread is maybe 10' wide at 75 feet. There is next to no "waste" light left/right/up/down like you get with most lights claiming to be "spots" with a 30 degree wide beam.

If you're looking for Floods/wide beam...
Get the pair of these (60 Degree wide beam) [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-degree-Waterproof-Off-road-Driving/dp/B00T62RK1U[/ame]
Or one of these (about a 120 degree wide beam) [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-3780lm-5400lm-Off-road-Vehicle-Pickup/dp/B00T8UYCHA[/ame]

#13 ·
We wanted to chime in on this older thread if someone is looking for lights for their KTM. We here at Baja Designs have multiple lighting solutions from SX, SX-F, XC, to the big adventure bikes.
Below is our customer @cusick510 with our Baja Designs XL Pro headlight kit on his 2018 350 EXC-F. Check out the many solutions we have for your KTM's
KTM Motorcycle Lights | Dual Sport Kits | Baja Designs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.