KTM Forums banner

Chains and Sprockets Adjustment

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  perkinsblair 
#1 ·
I was checking the tension of my chain. The manual says there is a point on the swinging arm where the chain should nearly touch if you push it - it is meant to have 5mm clearance. It is a hard gap to read accurately to 5mm, but my 5mm looks bigger than the KTM mechanic's 5mm. I reckoned that the chain was a tad slack. So I tightened it. While I was doing that I rubbed the chain down with this stuff.

http://www.rocklube.com/

It is meant for pushies but I was feeling creative. It is brilliant. It totally cleans the chain with no mess except the rag you sacrifice in the process. And you can actually feel the chain freeing up as you apply it. I hang my bike from the roof of the garage with boat winches when I want to work on it. Then I spin the rear wheel and apply the lubricant to the top of the chain as it passes over the slider guide near the right foot peg. As I do this the chain gets quieter and the wheel turns more easily as I push it round. Then, as per the instructions, I rub the chain down with a rag and all manner of crap comes off it. The website says this stuff flushes out grit from INSIDE the chain links - and I believe it.

I am in no way affiliated with the stuff in a business manner. I am just impressed.

I have found that by keeping a close eye on these two things (tension and slippery lube) that the Duke is noticeably less snatchy below 3.5K and the gear box is smoother with fewer false neutrals. 'Cause, lets be honest, the gearbox is as rough as a robber's dog's head.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll have to try it, which product do you use?

I know I've seen a friend using cable magic, I've always used triflo, but
he swears it reduces the cable lever pull on his mountain bike by half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.