KTM Forums banner

Front and Rear Sprocket setup??

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MRKTM 
#1 · (Edited)
hi all.
im gonna put my order in next Tuesday for new chain and both sprockets. so advice before then would be great
:grin2:
standard 17-38 im hoping someone here has done the 16-41 so i can find out exactly how it affects everything

i went 40t powerparts rear sprocket a while ago. it goes okay and was happy how it made a lil difference but im finding i want more now. i was gonna just go 41t but fear that i wont feel any gains from the extra tooth.

so my main question here is this.... who has done a 16t front? and did it make it hell crazy or can you just notice that it has that lil bit more torque. and does it chew the hell out of the chain guard or does it just wear it out 1 or 2 thousand kms/miles earlier than if i was running a 17t if so i guess its not to bad.

coz i thought stuff it ill just go 16-41 but if its to harsh on the chain guard and it has to be replaced every 5000 kms/miles then thats gonna suck.. and ill just stick to the 17t

#2 ·
just change the front to a 16 or do you need the bigger rear to stop the chainguard chewing up a 16 front id say is enough it works well on all the other v twins ducati ,tl suzuki makes em smoother round town with better acceleration im sure the guys here will tell us more
steve

#4 ·
well i have done 25,000kms now and nearly on 3/4 wear through my chain guide... so i still have heaps to go before i wear through with the 17t.

so i dont think im to worried about wearing through the chain guard i dont think its gonna wear through that much quicker, if i get 20,000km out of the chain guide with the 16t that no worries ill just buy another guide when needed.

im just looking for that brute low down power... we know that they are pretty torquey and quick now but that pull has worn off.. lets say im doing 60km/h in 4th gear and pin it, just feels like it could accelerate quicker than it does...

#5 ·
coz im buying a new chain guide, DID chain, a 41t rear and gonna keep that set up. was just thinking about that 16t so then ill have the craziest set up as far as gearing goes, without getting custom rear with like 45 or something stupid...
then ill know how the 16-41 set up feels and if im happy with it awesome, if not ill just go back to 17t and ill still have a 41 rear and it will still be better than what im running at the moment..

hoping its great and then i can keep it and give a proper feedback review on how it wears out the chain guide, and how long it lasts and stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.