KTM Forums banner

Stripped oil drain plug threads in casing ...

24K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  yanioaioan 
#1 · (Edited)
OK I have figured this out and it's better than OEM. Found http://www.timesert.com/ and spoke with them on the phone for quite a bit about this application, they were extremely helpful and very technically competent! To minimize amount of material to remove, they recommended this kit http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html sized M20x1.5 which is the OEM drain bolt size.

Since most of the threads were already stripped out, I simply used the guide and mega drill bit provided with the kit to remove the remainder, and did it by hand with alot of lubrication as the aluminum is so soft. Then the countersink, STI tap and finally used the insert tool with red locktite to install the new M20x1.5 insert! Piece of cake, supposedly better than OEM and she is full of fresh oil as a proper track bike should be! LOL

$260 mistake, but 1000% better than a new engine case, helicoil or NPT plug! Especially since the plug has that plastic/magnet/screen piece.

See some pics here, not many as the job was so quick LOL https://www.flickr.com/photos/62755976@N03/albums/72157674883288505

LESSON LEARNED: Make sure your $20 torque wrench is set to 14 ft-lbs ... not 24!!!

Cheers,
David

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Timesert

I had the same issue on a KTM 200xc (2008) I was on the verge of doing the $6.00 JB Weld trick as suggested so many times on this forum. Decided to spend $110 and get the insert kit. Worked perfectly. Simple. Keep the tools oiled with some tacky oil and you shouldn't have worry about shavings getting into the case. When I was finished, I ran some cheap oil through the case to flush it out. This fix is BETTER than new.

#5 ·
Yeah I could very easily tap it and use a little bit larger drain plug from some other type of bike but it's A brand-new bike it only has 800 miles on it and it's under warranty. But on the other hand it could take six or eight months to get the repair done through my weak *** KTM dealer who has been dragging his feet on doing anything and told me that I should've brought it to him for the first service because KTM does not want you to do your own service, which is a total lie, I guess he thinks I'm just some moron pencil pusher who's never picked up a ranch before and thinks I'm going to pay him $ 400 to change the oil in my motorcycle. I am a very experienced mechanic I have built bikes from the ground up I have restored over 30 motorcycles mostly Sportbikes. I have decided to go ahead and pick up the bike from the dealer and fix it myself the proper way so that if one day I decide to sell it the next owner will not have any issues, I always like to pass on a good bike to someone who can enjoy it without any hidden problems.

#6 ·
OK I have figured this out and it's better than OEM. Found ++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs, and spoke with them on the phone for quite a bit about this application, they were extremely helpful and very technically competent! To minimize amount of material to remove, they recommended this kit + TIME-SERT® STRIPPED OIL DRAIN PAN REPAIR KITS FOR STRIPPED THREADS + Stripped oil pan thread repair kits, leaking oil drain pan stripped or leaking threads stripped oil pan oil drain pan stripped threads stripped drain pan threads, leaking oil pan threads leaking, fix stripped oil drain pan leaking drain plug threads sized M20x1.5 which is the OEM drain bolt size.

Since most of the threads were already stripped out, I simply used the guide and mega drill bit provided with the kit to remove the remainder, and did it by hand with alot of lubrication as the aluminum is so soft. Then the countersink, STI tap and finally used the insert tool with red locktite to install the new M20x1.5 insert! Piece of cake, supposedly better than OEM and she is full of fresh oil as a proper track bike should be! LOL

$260 mistake, but 1000% better than a new engine case, helicoil or NPT plug! Especially since the plug has that plastic/magnet/screen piece.

See some pics here, not many as the job was so quick LOL 2010 KTM RC8R Stripped Oil Drain Repair

LESSON LEARNED: Make sure your $20 torque wrench is set to 14 ft-lbs ... not 24!!!

Cheers,
David
Hi,
I got the same situation in my 1090 2018 LC8.
The oil pan threads got damaged where the screen filter plug goes.
I was wondering whether the size of the kit I should order is the same as yours?
I have been told it's a coarse thread too (not sure how that's related or if it makes any difference)...but I could use your advice
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.