2011 RC8R: Did I Fry the ECU ??? - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

2011 RC8R: Did I Fry the ECU ???

Hello everyone, first real post here.

Picked up an insurance write-off 2011 KTM RC8R with only 5100 miles to make in to a track bike. Bike "was" in perfect running condition and the damage mostly contained to fairings, perfect track candidate.

So I ripped all the fairings off and got in to doing all the emission deletes. Charcoal canister, pretty straight forward and was just going to leave valve in place to trick bike. So SAS valve is a pain to get all the hoses off so I pulled it completely out and decided there was no way it was going back in place. Found the "trick" dongles online and thought well easy it just needs to register current across so I'll just make my own jumper. Well now that I have the real dongles, I see they have a resistor in line.

Immediately after turning the ignition to on the first time, the fuel pump cycled and then bam "CAN Error", No MAP. Ok, some searches and Tune ECU is the answer. Well no matter how many CPU's I try, power to the bike, etc. etc. I can not get the bike to respond. So is it possible that my jumper wire fried my ECU?

Now let's say I did fry the ECU. Luck would have it there is a 2011 ECU on Ebay right now. Will it simply be plug and play at that point? Or is there underlying programming that needs to tie it to the bike.

Besides the EBAY route, anyone else have any suggestions to fix the ECU or someone who may be able to?

Thanks for the help.

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:35 PM

IIRC, the battery voltage has to be close to perfect or Tuneecu won't do J.S.
I hear it's close to catastrophic if the voltage drops below the amount when trying to upload a map.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

My problem is I can't even get the bike to connect at all. Goes about 30 seconds and I get an error saying it can't connect to the bike.

I'm measuring 13 Volts at the battery and tried it with a jumper battery on as well. Multiple computers, series of setup, no dice.

This is why I'm wondering if my ECU is shot. Would that spike of current by not having the SAS resistor in place do that?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck767 View Post
My problem is I can't even get the bike to connect at all. Goes about 30 seconds and I get an error saying it can't connect to the bike.

I'm measuring 13 Volts at the battery and tried it with a jumper battery on as well. Multiple computers, series of setup, no dice.

This is why I'm wondering if my ECU is shot. Would that spike of current by not having the SAS resistor in place do that?
If the bike starts ECU is fine. For Tune ECU there are some communication port things that sometimes occur and the computer/tune ECU/Cable/USB port aren't al synched i would start there. What you explained doesn't sound like it would have damaged the ecu, maybe cleared out maps but not ruined the ecu.

2015 RC390 Cup Bike
2011 RC8R Track Model Nemesis TC, Ohlins TTX and FRGT suspension
2010 RC8R #22/25 Akra LE
2012 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 liter turbo diesel
2011 Mahindra 5035 (gobs of torque)
2007 SX-f 450 twin cam
2005 Grizzly 700
1994 Mazda Rx7 twin Turbo 380HP / 350 lbs torque at the wheels
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

The bike does not start, that's the issue. It will not even entertain the idea of turning over. When I put the key in the "on" position, the fuel pump does not cycle or anything. I just get the "CAN Error" and then all the ?????? under MAP.

I had a friend come over who is very tech savvy, and check all my computer/tune/cable/USB settings/sync and everything looks good on that front??? Very confusing, and frustrating.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

reset the can bus and see if the error goes away IIRC there is a jumper that you unplug then cycle the key-on-engine-off. it's located under the seat.

if you put in a different ECU I think you need to program and sync the imobilzer to the new ECU. dealer for sure...they would probably call KTM for instructions.

alan

2011 RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 990 SMT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
reset the can bus and see if the error goes away IIRC there is a jumper that you unplug then cycle the key-on-engine-off. it's located under the seat.

if you put in a different ECU I think you need to program and sync the imobilzer to the new ECU. dealer for sure...they would probably call KTM for instructions.
So I've unplugged what I believe is the jumper you're referring to, but I don't believe I tried cycling the key in that process. Do you have a picture that shows which one is the jumper you're referring to so I can be sure I have the right one?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

fast4d : Here is a pick under my seat. My understanding is the jumper you're referring to is the large white plug sitting right behind the fuse box? Is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_172800.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	54033  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

The Saga Continues

So I received the Ebay ECU today. Plugged it in and same issue.

Decide to check and clean every connection I can get to (again). Then instead of just visually checking fuses I test them. Sure enough find one that's bad but barely visible (I missed it originally). Replace and BAM back on business with original ECU.

Probably should have stopped here. Notice the trick dongles I got from Rottweiler performance don't seem to be working, getting FI light.

Decide it's time to finish SAS removal correct and use TuneECU to turn off. I follow TuneECU (and Forum) instructions to a "T"! Everything seems to be going great, read map perfect, turn off SAI and upload same map with SAI disabled. Download back to ECU. Goes through the whole process, says complete, and suddenly nothing. "CAN Error" on bike and no map. Completely bricks the ECU, just wants to go in to recovery mode and nothing happens.

So I plug in the Ebay ECU, turn ignition on, map present, cycles fuel pump, but ignition lock is preventing bike from starting.

So not what are my options?

1) Can KTM or anyone else "un-brick" ECU? Would they return in to me with the SAI turned off?
2) With the good ECU from Ebay, is there anyway I can bypass the ignition? I would be happy with a toggle switch as bike is going to be track duty only. If the Ebay seller has the original ignition switch, do I just need to swap that out?

Talk about a up and down kind of night. I can't win with this bike so far.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

no. I see it there left of the 4 relays and right of the frame tube.

alan

2011 RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 990 SMT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode