KTM Forums banner

Couple Issues/Questions

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  jtsharps 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 first of all. 1st question, has anyone found bar ends/ bar end mirrors that fit? I've tried 4 different ones made for 7/8 bars & 22mm bars & they are too big. They don't fit in the bar. I thought this bike had 7/8 bars?? I'm looking for mirrors so I can pull the stock ones off.

2nd issue, I was putting some different rear sets on today which called for relocating the rear brake master cylinder. Once I got it positioned I couldn't get the thing to bleed. I can get everying to flow except for the MC. What I did at one point is fill the reservoir with fluid & pump the brake lever while I did not have the brake line attached. Am I correct that fluid should have shot out of the brake line port?? Because it didn't. Any ideas on what may be going on w this thing?

#2 · (Edited)
answer to #1 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crg-arrow-bar-end-mirror?gclid=CI7Ot9Oz_9ACFYWKswodkgULog

if you want bar ends with signals: http://motowheels.com/i-22828645-oberon-bar-end-turn-signals-w-crg-arrow-mirrors-kit.html

*never tried them yet, but come from reputable manufacturers and the stores have good return policies, they are on my "to buy list"

#2 to bleed the rear brake, remove the caliper, turn it upside down, and hold it higher that the rest of the system (in particular the brake reservoir. I had this same issue on my last two Aprilia's... the caliper is poorly placed for bleeding because its the lowest point in the braking system, and air travels upwards.

Reactions: zoomdude57
#3 ·
#1 Have you actually used the one from Revzilla? I would like to take a shot at it but $107 for something I'm not sure will fit doesn't sound fun. They are really good at returns & such though so it wouldn't be so bad. I order from them all the time.

#2 I'm going to try that tonight to see how it goes. The problem I'm having though is that it won't pull fluid at all. It's not that it's not bleeding correctly, it's not bleeding at all. Absolutely 0 fluid is being pull from the reservoir when I pump the brake or put the suction on it. It seems to be flowing everywhere except the MC. I'm still going to try it though to see if it helps.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!!

#10 ·
So what happens if you open the caliper bleeder and push down the brake lever? Does fluid get pushed back up into the syringe? (you'll have to remove the plunger to see). If not, then I would think that something in the master cylinder is kaput.

For poops and giggles, are you certain that the master cylinder hasn't been installed upside down? I know that may sound stupid, but I can't tell from your photo. Somehow that would make sense - you think that the cylinder is open, but in fact it's closed, and you can't push fluid through.

#11 ·
I didn't try pushing the brake lever while I was doing the reverse bleeding and I'v since taken my contraption down.

The stock location/position of the master cylinder on this bike is actually mounted sideways. The way I'm trying to mount it is more in a upright position. It shouldn't matter though. I mean I know air getting in and bleeding it might have to go a certain way but no matter what, fluid should be flowing through the system. If it doesn't bleed optimally or doesn't perform optimally, that might make some sense but when absolutely no fluid (or air for that matter) is running through, something's just not right. I ordered a used Brembo caliper from a Ducati that seems to match it so I can do some testing. We'll see what happens after I get that thing hooked up.

To make all of this even better I pulled the Gixxer out today to ride and flat rear tire.:crying2:

Thanks for the suggestions!!

#14 ·
It looks like I got to the bottom of it. The master cylinder must be bad. I got the used Brembo off of a Multistrada (exact same as what is on our bikes and was $40 vs. $75 for one from a KTM) today, it bled just fine, I mounted it, and the brake is working as it should. So now comes the fun of trying to get the stock one replaced through the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the bike. That's always a good time to deal with!! At least I can ride it now while I figure that out.

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.