KTM Forums banner

2013 50sx oil question

31K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Axzon 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought the bike used and have since then changed the crankcase oil once using Motorex DexronIII synthetic. Does anyone use non synthetic or an automobile DEXRON III or DEXRON IV (supersedes III requirements)

I have a case of it and considering I will change it after every ride, is there anyone that has done this with no ill effects? The Motorex is 17.00+ and its good for two oil changes.....it can get pretty expensive after a while.

Thanks for the advice.
Joe

#2 ·
I'm not sure Joe, I haven't, but I would think seems it's dextron III it should be fine, It's only lubricating the trans side so I personally can't see a problem, but I would definitely see what others think.

#3 ·
I hear ya!

I am with you on the oil's sole purpose is confined to the trans side and probably shouldn't be an issue. In the auto world using the incorrect trans fluid in an auto trans spells disaster with clutches. I am very curious and hope others chime in.

:smile2:

#4 ·
The owners manual doesn't "require" synthetic Dexron III, but recommends Motorex (back in 2008 it was Motul and Shell before that).

http://www.ktm.com/globalassets/pro..._bike_bed_13_3211854_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

Gear oil (ATF Dexron 3)
According to

Dexron III (ATF Dexron 3)
Guideline

Use only ATF gear oils that comply with the specified standards (see specifications on the container) and that possess the corre-
sponding properties. KTM recommends Motorex ® products. Supplier Motorex ® – ATF Dexron 3

#5 ·
So I decided I am going to take the plunge and run the MD-3 (have a full case I have no use for) in my son's bike. I am a stickler for maintenance on our bikes but since my son putts around I let the original oil change go for 2 trips.....or 3.0 hours of riding. MISTAKE! I drained it yesterday and it definitely had clutch material in it.....worse than I thought.

The lubricity of the original oil I spoke about seemed to be broken down and didn't smell so good.

I adjusted the clutch to try and soften the hit, since my son is just now learning how to take off on his own form a dead stop. I went six clicks clockwise from the counterclockwise stop detent. I will let you guys know how the oil works and the results after draining it. I ran ATF in all my bikes when I raced and trail rode. I rode my bikes hard and definitely tormented the gear box. The ATF held up great and was a cheaper alternative then to running big name oils. I am sure it will be fine in my little guy's bike.

Joe

#8 ·
Oil and more oil...

From very reliable sources I have been told that many teams run disel oil in their bikes... (A chap who had his family member in a top team told me that they get the diesel oil in in big drums... even if they are sponsored by a well known oil)

You have 2 oils in the motor:
- The one you mix in to the fuel takes care of the piston and the crank. (2 stroke oil)
- The one you pour in the transmission does only the transmission. (Normally a 10w - 40w oil)

The 50cc bikes have an auto clutch that demands much from the little oil that is in there. Hense you change it after each race day. I also used to take the auto clutch out after every race day and clean and adjust (always found heaps of gunk there...)

#9 ·
The oil thickens....

Just a question for our friend @Axzon you mention diesel oil and I take that to mean you are referring to motor oil designed for Diesel engine crankcase service?? Like the Rotella and other Diesel engine oils? I have heard the term diesel oil used in reference to diesel fuel and wanted to clarify for proper translation. Just a note regarding your race team product selection and my personal experience in drag racing. It was common for teams to be sponsored by an oil company and the engine builder not use the product in the engine. It was a dirty little secret that teams couldn’t admit, but it was especially common to high stress nitromethane and alcohol fueled motors. Some of the sponsor supplied oil products were given away or sold by team members to give sponsors the impression it was required for racing, but the stuff was being used in our girlfriends cars and being traded for parts or sold for gas money.

Reactions: Axzon
#10 · (Edited)
Just a question for our friend @Axzon you mention diesel oil and I take that to mean you are referring to motor oil designed for Diesel engine crankcase service?? Like the Rotella and other Diesel engine oils? I have heard the term diesel oil used in reference to diesel fuel and wanted to clarify for proper translation. Just a note regarding your race team product selection and my personal experience in drag racing. It was common for teams to be sponsored by an oil company and the engine builder not use the product in the engine. It was a dirty little secret that teams couldn’t admit, but it was especially common to high stress nitromethane and alcohol fueled motors. Some of the sponsor supplied oil products were given away or sold by team members to give sponsors the impression it was required for racing, but the stuff was being used in our girlfriends cars and being traded for parts or sold for gas money.
Engine oil designed for diesel engines (not the diesel fuel). As I understand it the diesel engine oil is of a very high quality and can easily handle a MX engines demands. It is also much cheaper than specific MX oils... Said that... I can get nobody to admit that it is what they use and I have found nothing but anecdotal information. One day, when I am brave enough and rich enough so I can afford to risk blowing an engine to prove/disprove the rumours, I will give you first hand info, until then...:laugh2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.