Ktm 50 jetting - Page 2 - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 PM

My son's 2016 is the same way..the clutch drag is crazy and it is a pain to start, sometimes the kicker won't spring back and there very little kick available to start with...I change plugs constantly that helps some but still won't start until after I hold front brake a tip bike vertical for about 15 seconds and choke then it's one or two kicks most of time..it shouldn't be this hard..when I rebuilt top end it got better but now back to normal...I've also noticed that when ita first started and he goes to take off he will twist it and it sounds like it wants to bog down but once it's warm it runs good...his silencer has some oil but it's a two stroke ya know plus it has exceaas from a busted head base gasket...any suggestions on what causing my starting and bogging problem????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Full Throttle

Warmer heat range spark plug, but dont move up the scale to fast from what your using now.
Dropping the needle can effect off idle response for sure. Those stock needles can look like a thumb instead of a index finger . The index finger having a more tapered look.

Hmmm finding a good jet and needle racing kit for the KTM 50 carbs

Its possible , i would call around to KTM and try talk with a guy out the back.

I had a similar issue with a 50cc scooter , carby is not sophisticated , the needle looked like a thumb. All i had to do was talk with a guy out the back and he presented a very awesome "racing needle and some jets",
15euro and problem solved.The front desk guy didnt know how to figure it out.

current -2007 690SM
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Site Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
From motorcycle repair website.

"The idle jet system (comprised of pilot air jet, pilot fuel jet and pilot fuel screw) controls from 0% to about 25% of the throttle opening. The throttle valve controls 0% to 35% of the throttle opening. The needle jet and jet needle control from 15% to 80% of the throttle opening and the main jet controls 60% to 100%. This means that when you open the throttle about one eighth of the way open, all of the gas/air mixture going into your engine is controlled by the idle jet. As you can see, the different jets over lap the operating range of each other. That is, the jet needle starts to effect things before the effect of the idle jet ends. This is something to remember when working on carbs... everything is interconnected. Change one thing and it will effect other things."

You can lead a horse to water. . . you cant stop him from pissing in it. This is sound advice and is written by someone who clearly understands the basic operating principles and circuits involved in ANY carburator. Just to be a wise-acre: How does this relate to the Stoichmetric efficiency of this carb?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

920.893.5595 Ext 316

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Full Throttle

Wiki can help fill in details on your quiz question professor rod
Quote:
The stoichiometric mixture for a gasoline engine is the ideal ratio of air to fuel that burns all fuel with no excess air. For gasoline fuel, the stoichiometric air–fuel mixture is about 15:1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air%E2%80%93fuel_ratio
mill tech likes this.

current -2007 690SM
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 PM

04 pro sr

Can anyone she's some light on why this bike won't start.... new top end . .. reeds.. stator... and coil

Last edited by cors187; 12-01-2016 at 12:39 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Full Throttle

Check for spark , fuel in fuel bowl. did you try spraying cold start into the carb while turning it over.
report back

current -2007 690SM
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:33 AM

Has great spark.... I did take a different carb and now I'm getting it to almost start but then every few kicks it's back firing.. I checked the flywheel to make sure the key didn't break off as well... tried a different coil...the only thing I didn't do was a new flywheel... could that be it?.. how do they go bad?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 07:50 AM
What the curtains?

I'm not sure if you have poked around on this
site at all, I really find it helpful in diagnosing.

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

2008 KTM 950 Super Enduro R
2008 Husqvarna 610 TE

Past Rides
'14 Honda NC700X
'11 Husaberg TE 300
'06 Ducati 1000S Multistrada DS
'04 BMW 1150 RT
'03 KTM 450 EXC
'02 KTM 640 LC4e
'01 Honda XR650R
'00 KTM 520 EXC
'98 Honda XR600R
'95 KTM 620 RXC
'90 KTM 500 MX
'88 Yamaha TT600
'86 Yamaha XT 350
'84 Yamaha IT465 (STOLEN)
'83 Kawasaki KDX 450
'83 Honda CB1000 Custom
'82 Kawasaki KDX 400
'77 Yamaha DT200
'70 Honda CT70

See you at Papa Fernandez!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Full Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfxd View Post
Has great spark.... I did take a different carb and now I'm getting it to almost start but then every few kicks it's back firing.. I checked the flywheel to make sure the key didn't break off as well... tried a different coil...the only thing I didn't do was a new flywheel... could that be it?.. how do they go bad?
Did you spray just a little easy start or carby cleaner while kicking it.If it fires go back over your fuel delivery system.
Atleast if it fires with carby cleaner it points to your fuel delivery.

current -2007 690SM
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 PM

04 pro sr

The bike starts up great and once it warms up a few mins later the throttle starts breaking up in mid range... just replaced the ring a week ago.. he rode it one day and now it's acting up... cleaned the hell out of the carb... new stator and cdi... has an 86 jet ... pilot 55.... and a 60... I think it's running to rich in mid and I ordered new jets. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm going in the right direction. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode